Sign in to follow this  
HerefordCanary

9 from 9?

When the fixtures came out I looked at them straight away and thought, 9 points from the first 3 games there, and I''m still quietly confident that this is achievable after some decent performances in pre season. It''ll be a bit more difficult with Fer out against Everton but if we can sneak a win there I don''t see why we can''t win all 3.

But then again, when was the last time we won the opening game? Does anyone else think we can get 9 points in the first 3 games? If not, how many?

When was the last time we won the first game of a season ? I''ve no idea .

[quote user="GJP"]If we got 5 points I''d be happy.[/quote]Five would be ok. Wouldn''t be happy with six though, would mean we''d lost a game.......

Eh ?[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="GJP"]If we got 5 points I''d be happy.[/quote]Five would be ok. Wouldn''t be happy with six though, would mean we''d lost a game.......[/quote]

I think it will be 9 from 9 games! so many new players, slightly different system, etc,etc, don''t think we will stray to far from the point a game line, maybe airing just above giving us a slightly more comfortable run in

I''d love us to get 7 points as a minimum and get off to a flyer, however, I bet all three opponents feel that playing us is an opportunity to pick up points. Win one, draw one, lose one and 4 points is hopefully the worst we can hope for.....let''s just avoid a "Fulham away" and build from there...

Anyone remember the start of 2005/6 season?  A strong squad back in the Championship, first 3 games at home and everyone was talking about 9 from 9 and we ended up with three 1-1 draws and 3 points.  Lets not run before we can walk!

Anywhere between 3 & 9 points likely - will be happy with 4 or 5.

But maybe I am just feeling particularly grumpy but I do think people have lost sight of reality expecting to start with 3 consecutive wins.  Every reason to be optomistic for the season ahead and  I would love it to happen but those sort of starts very rarely happen in the prem!   6 or more is an exceptional and phenomenal start.

Three wins on the spin in this league is very difficult, but I can see us having a decent start and would be delighted with 5 or 6 points even if it does mean we lose a game :-) 

[quote user="I am a Banana"]8[/quote]Must have taken ages to work that out on your abacus nana. When you write to Santa this year, you''ll have to tell him you want a calculator. [<:o)]

The aggregate score for opening games over the last 4 years is 16 - 4 against us. So I would be happy with a point from our first game.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="GJP"]If we got 5 points I''d be happy.[/quote]Five would be ok. Wouldn''t be happy with six though, would mean we''d lost a game.......[/quote]
This a bit bizarre, think we all want to get away from this the "must not lose" mentality seen last season and start with a "must try and win" philosophy. Otherwise we may as well send Redmond back. 
I don''t care if we lose a game as long as we go out and attack. 

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="I am a Banana"]8[/quote]

Must have taken ages to work that out on your abacus nana. When you write to Santa this year, you''ll have to tell him you want a calculator. [<:o)]
[/quote]

Hehe!!

I couldn''t make my mind up between 5,7 and 9. So went for 8 which is in the middle of the 3 on the keyboard [:)]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="I am a Banana"]8[/quote]Must have taken ages to work that out on your abacus nana. When you write to Santa this year, you''ll have to tell him you want a calculator. [<:o)][/quote]

Hehe!!

I couldn''t make my mind up between 5,7 and 9. So went for 8 which is in the middle of the 3 on the keyboard [:)][/quote]

And there was me thinking you had realised that from three games, eight points is the only number you can''t get. Doh! [:(]

[quote user="HerefordCanary"]When the fixtures came out I looked at them straight away and thought, 9 points from the first 3 games [/quote]With games coming up against Southampton, Villa, Cardiff, who are all playing well, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and Stoke it will be tough getting 9 points from 9 games. Based on what I''ve seen thus far I think getting 6 or 7 points from that run of fixtures will be a pretty good achievement and unless we pull our socks up pretty quickly we could be in big trouble by the end of October. And for good measure our 10th game is Man City.

This is a classic example of the lala land some people are in.You need to get your head checked out mate.[quote user="HerefordCanary"]When the fixtures came out I looked at them straight away and thought, 9 points from the first 3 games there, and I''m still quietly confident that this is achievable after some decent performances in pre season. It''ll be a bit more difficult with Fer out against Everton but if we can sneak a win there I don''t see why we can''t win all 3.

But then again, when was the last time we won the opening game? Does anyone else think we can get 9 points in the first 3 games? If not, how many?[/quote]

"unless we pull our socks up pretty quickly we could be in big trouble by the end of October."Based on a creditable draw and a poor loss, I struggle to see how you come to that conclusion.The knee jerk reactions on here are pathetic.

Was wondering how long it would take for someone to resurrect this thread, there''s nothing wrong with optimism and on paper they weren''t the hardest fixtures we could of had.

I''d rather be an optimist than a pessimist but after reading some threads I seem to be part of a minority on that.

[quote user="HerefordCanary"]Was wondering how long it would take for someone to resurrect this thread, there''s nothing wrong with optimism and on paper they weren''t the hardest fixtures we could of had.

I''d rather be an optimist than a pessimist but after reading some threads I seem to be part of a minority on that.[/quote]

Hear, hear!   Every game is winnable. Last season and even this season (Cardiff v MC) have proved that you can''t predict where the points will come from.   You have to approach every game with the view to winning it.   Hughton has a more cautious approach at away games, but I am sure he sets up the teams to defend well AND to counter on the break with the view of winning the match, which is what most top teams do, even MU.   Its just that the team haven''t been able to do that - yet.

[quote user="ref89"]Based on a creditable draw and a poor loss, I struggle to see how you come to that conclusion.[/quote]Because I agree with the OP when he said that the first 3 games "on paper weren''t the hardest fixtures we could of had" and yet we''ve only managed 1 point out of 6 so far.I don''t think Southampton will be easy but I think it is a game we must win because the games coming up after that look more difficult than the first 3 did.Can''t see us beating Spurs or Villa. We never do well at Stoke and then it''s Chelsea & ArsenalCardiff maybe an opportunity but then it''s Man CityAs I said 6 or 7 points from that run of fixtures will be difficult.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="ref89"]Based on a creditable draw and a poor loss, I struggle to see how you come to that conclusion.[/quote]Because I agree with the OP when he said that the first 3 games "on paper weren''t the hardest fixtures we could of had" and yet we''ve only managed 1 point out of 6 so far.I don''t think Southampton will be easy but I think it is a game we must win because the games coming up after that look more difficult than the first 3 did.Can''t see us beating Spurs or Villa. We never do well at Stoke and then it''s Chelsea & ArsenalCardiff maybe an opportunity but then it''s Man CityAs I said 6 or 7 points from that run of fixtures will be difficult.[/quote]There are no easy games in this leagueOur record vs Spurs is brilliant btw and they don''t have bale and have failed to score a goal from normal play