Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Is Robert Green REALLY that good?

I know many people on here may jump on me for this...but is Robert Green actually that good?

The guy is obviously talented but I think he had a really bad season and let in more goals than anyone. He pulled off some superb saves this season bt let in some real stinkers. Some may say that the defence let him down and we were always under pressure but a great deal of goals came from a long way out.

He is in the England squad but I question that he is good enough for that!

Come and get me!

I think he is a good keeper but the defence has let him down this season.  I am not sure tho whether he is good enough to go to a bigger Premiership Club or how he will be in goal for England.

Saying that tho, I think he will be on his way by the beginning of the season

with a better team infront of him he will be world class.

Next season in the champ he will be ace

For once I agree with you CB,

I did point this out after the Che£$ea match, he lets too many long range shots in and only seems to excel with short range instinctive saves that tend to grab the attention and headlines.

I honestly don''t think any Premier club will come in for him !

Come and get me too ? 

I think leaving would be stupid move for him. He has potential but hes not going to get into the England team this season. And he could end up being 2nd in line to another keeper. he may aswel stay at least one season with Norwich and if they dont go up again then fair play. but hes not the best keeper in the world, so leaving for the england squad does not seem a good enough reason at this point, considering hes Englands 3rd keeper.

At times a great shot stopper, but he does not control his area, he does not inspire confidence and barring Martin Keown, I don''t think he has saved a penalty!!

Yep, have thought for some time that he is not as good as he is made out to be.

As others have pointed out, he is a good instinctive shot stopper but does not command his box in the way that a (potential) international keeper should.

I sincerely hope we get an offer of 2.5-3 mill for him and take it. No need to even buy a replacement, Ward and Gallagher with Joe Lewis coming up fast should be enough for us in the Championship. The money would buy us 2 good defenders which we need far more.

Mark .Y.

Yep, add me to the list.

I''ve thought for quite a while now that Green is over-rated. Great instinctive shot-stopper but not a great goalkeeper.

Young keepers usually start out as shot-stoppers, and if they''re really good gradually develop the other aspects of their game. My worry is that in Green''s case there has been very little development over the last couple of years and, in fact, he''s probably gone backwards during his year in the Prem.

Actually i think hes a quality player. He would be great for us next season if he stayed. Hes got super quick reactions and great flexibility. He does not control his area no, but thats somethin he will learn over time. I would rather he stayed

Of course Green is a very good keeper and it would be stupid to say otherwise.  The bigger question is "Is he irreplaceable?" and of course he is not.  The argument may well be that Goalkeeper is the one position with cover so the sale of Robert Green may well bring in the funds to allow scope in the transfer market.  But he is a good keeper and will be for the next 8 to 10 years.

[quote]I know many people on here may jump on me for this...but is Robert Green actually that good? The guy is obviously talented but I think he had a really bad season and let in more goals than anyone. He...[/quote]

he''s good, but not as good as he''s starting to believe he is. i think some of the praise that''s been heaped upon him this season has started to go to his head. put it this way, i think we have 2, if not 3, more than adequate replacements in lewis, gallagher and ward. as others have said, good riddance to any player who no longer has the desire or commitment to play for norwich city football club. anyway, i always say there are something like 92 good or reasonable goalkeepers in the football league. if a keeper is not good enough at any level of  football, he is soon replaced. finally, in the premiership there are several keepers as good if not better than green in my opinion.

Gallagher is a better keeper than the overrated Green. If City get the chance to sell him for a decent price they should take the money.

It''s impossible for any goalkeeper to ''command his area'' when the back 6 (I''m including the two centre midfielders) hold a line constantly on his penalty spot. And the long range shots he lets in generally come through a crowd of players . . . no chance for Petr Cech let alone Greeno.

[quote]Gallagher is a better keeper than the overrated Green. If City get the chance to sell him for a decent price they should take the money.[/quote]

On what evidence do you make this bold statement?

Green is not overrated, nor do I think he has become big-headed. I was behind the goal at Blackburn away when he let in the 3rd goal, which he let squirm under his body(on an absolutley SOAKED pitch).  After the game he had the balls to hold his hand up and apologise to the fans, for which he got a rousing rendition of GREENO, GREENO etc.  He has won points for us this season (remember Spurs away?) and if he does move on I will wish him the very best of luck and bear no grudges.

tell you what get the end of the season dvd when itcomes out and have a look how many points he''s worthto us. I think you''ll find it''s a lot and if we can''tsee that he''s probably better off going somewherehe''ll be appreciated.

As good as what?  What people are looking at is a potentially great keeper - Rob is still young and learning his trade; any prem club buying him now would probably have him for several seasons as he approaches the peak of his powers and buying now would be good planning.

He does have weaknesses but so do all keepers in the prem; including the vastly overrated Cech who seems as dodgy on crosses as Greeno does on pens.  Overall he did have a good 1st prem season, especially bearing in mind the headless wanderings of the defence and central midfield ''protecting'' him.  I would be interested to see which keeper faced more shorts from outside the box than him due to our open invitation to shoot.  Was his save rate from distance any different to other keepers?   

Greeno does have enormous potential and I am confident that he COULD eventually justify his place in front of a decent defence in chelsea, arsenal (I wont accept manure - that would disappoint me!) and I have accepted that he will play for a bigger club soon - its just a matter of when.  Who is his competition - Kirkland? Wright?  Carson? Weaver?  Green is better than any of these bright young prospects by some way and still improving.  Cech, Cudicini Carroll?  I cant think of many that I would rather have at this club.

Of course we would get by with Ward or anyone else between the sticks  - but look at the impact schmiechel, shilton and clemence had on their teams - an exceptional keeper is worth as many points as a good striker as its at the crunch that it matters.  Will Greeno hit those heights?  Probably not and he has a long way to go, but he may do, and thats why he is so exciting.  

OTBC

[quote]It''s impossible for any goalkeeper to ''command his area'' when the back 6 (I''m including the two centre midfielders) hold a line constantly on his penalty spot. And the long range shots he lets in gene...[/quote]

Totally agree with that Stephen.  Too many bodies in the way, none of them tackling or closing down properly. 

[quote]Gallagher is a better keeper than the overrated Green. If City get the chance to sell him for a decent price they should take the money.[/quote]

which pre-season meaningless friendly , reserve team match or Gillingham/Sheff Wed are you basing this on?

There''s no doubt that he''s a quality keeper, but he wasn''t the best in the Prem or anything like that by any means and is definitely replaceable. It''s a shame that the fame and fortune that comes with being in the Prem seems to have gone to his head a bit, and he wants out - he doesn''t seem to have considered that if he does move to a Premiership team, he may well find himself on the bench, whereas if he stays here he knows he is our number one.

I wouldn''t be too bothered, as we have decent backup and we would obviously get some money for him.

He''s an OK! keeper for his age, a spasmodic shot stopper, with a reluctance to get involved further up the field than his goal line.

Many of his faults are well documented on these boards.  His main problem is taking charge of the area that is his responsibility, and his ability on crosses is poor.

He should marshal his defence better, although they have been poor at their best these past two seasons. He does''nt call for the ball often enough, very rarely saying "it''s mine" when it should be. He''s not in a Kennons or a Nethercotts, league, they were like cats who commanded the whole of the 18 yard area.

I say take as much for him as you can get, IMHO our youth keeper will turn out to be one of our best prospects. Ward and Co can keep the place warm for him, and sooner rather than later.