Sign in to follow this  
CanaryDodge84

Team for next season/What we still need

Swindon Canary wrote: "Interesting that everybody''s team seems to be one up front and that was the main criticism last season."

I don''t exactly. Last season i think we were forced to play like that more than anything else as the only striker that wanted to be here and had the potential and form was Holt. At the start of the season and after Kamara came in Hughton played with two up front, or at least tinkered with formation a little more.

Looking at the players we are more heavily linked with like Toivonen - I would argue that Hughton wants more flexibility from his team. He want''s stability but also the ability to change the line up and formation depending on who we are playing. I''m not convinced that we had the personnel to do that last season. And prior to that rarely looked to change our formation or the way we played.

Legend Iwan wrote: "I agree, the importance of bringing another striker in is paramount, Chicken, alongside one more winger.

In relation to the DM position, I would argue the whole concept has changed somewhat, but that is for another time. It does mean, though, that you need someone who offers more than simply intercepting the ball - although this is important."

Trying to be as objective as possible - I wouldn''t be surprised to see two wingers come in, especially if one is Redmond. I can see Redmond (19) being brought in to acclimatise to the Premiership and not yet be a true regular. He won''t count towards the squad limit and could provide good cover for both flanks without having to get rid of E.Bennett or Surman.

However I think we''ll probably see another winger come in with a bit more of a track record. I keep hearing little bits about Capel from various places which is mainly all rumour and I keep stopping myself from believing it!

As for the DM - I would agree with what you are saying if you were talking about a holding midfielder but not of a DM. A lot of teams still deploy DM such as Mikel at Chelsea - and they still do a similar job: win the ball, protect the back four and move the ball on as quickly and as best you can. Barry at Man City is another.

Obviously if you have a Yaya Toure or a Steven Gerrard then you are blessed but it doesn''t take much to look around and see that a lot of top sides still have players that positionally and physically are playing the DM role.

Holding midfielders are slightly different. I know people use the two terms to describe the same role but I don''t believe it is correct to do so.

Fox is a good example. He likes to pick the ball up deep and keep it moving around, he has a great range of passing but he isn''t what you would consider defensive in any way.

Huddlestone is another one that is the best of both in that sense, he combines the holding role and the DM role purely because of his physique.

Bridcutt may prove to be of that type as well. But a holding midfielder tends to have a little more license to get forward. A bit like Scott Parker.

I think that a left back, holding mid, attacking mid, some pace for the wings and possibly a decent back up striker to replace Holt presuming he leaves are required to help fill the holes in the squad. Wouldn''t necessarily move the team up a level as that depends on the quality that can be found and brought

pilksfanclub wrote - "Wouldn''t necessarily move the team up a level as that depends on the quality that can be found and brought "

??????? If we are not buying players to move the Team forward we would not have released anyone this year. All players we buy will be an upgrade or offer something different to what we already have;

Well up a level is into a top 10 team and unless a Michu is found or something equally game changing there won''t be a move up. What these signings would do is hopefully prevent a repeat of the nervousness of the end of last season.

Aston Villa: - Clark, Baker and Vlaar

Cardiff: - Ben Turner, Hudson

Palace: - Gabbidon, Delaney, Ramage

Fulham: - Senderos, Hangelaand, Hughes

Hull: - Chester, McShane

Newcastle: - Colloccini, Taylor

Saints: - Forren, Lovren

Stoke: - Shawcross, Huth

Sunderland: - O''Shea, Cuellar

Swansea: - Williams, Chico

West Brom: - Ridgewell, Olsson, McCauley

West Ham: - Reid, Tomkins, Collins

From them, Turner would get a game (i.e. better than all but one of each teams CB''s listed) at:

Villa, Cardiff, Hull, Sunderland (ironically!), maybe West Ham

Towards the end of the season Turner was better then bassong imo but didn''t get as much of the limelight as bassong, not only his defending but got a couple of goals all be it not that important in theme grand scheme of things

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]LIST...From them, Turner would get a game (i.e. better than all but one of each teams CB''s listed) at:

Villa, Cardiff, Hull, Sunderland (ironically!), maybe West Ham[/quote]Sorry, but I think Turner would get a game at ALL of them apart from Newcastle and Stoke...