Sign in to follow this  
CanaryDodge84

Team for next season/What we still need

GK: J.Ruddy

LB: J.Garrido/Sign M.Olsson

CB: S.Bassong

CB: (Need another quality CB - not sure who this would be? Michael Dawson? Steven Caulker?)

RB: R.Martin/S.Whittaker - Both solid enough

RW: R.Snodgrass

CM: B.Johnson

CM: A.Tettey

AM: If i could sign anybody in this position it would have to be M.Van Ginkel but that''s very unlikely, so we could possibly see Toivonen in this role is he signs up.  I would still look for a real quality ball-playing, visionary, goal-scoring midfielder though!  Somebody like Van Ginkel or Sigurdsson at Spurs.

LW: Sign Diego Capel

ST: R.Van Wolfswinkel

This would be my transfer targets/shopping list for this summer: -

> M.Olsson (Blackburn)

> Top quality CB of same calibre as Bassong if not even better

> Attacking, creative midfielder (Same quality as Van Ginkel)

> Attacking winger, such As Capel or Scott Sinclair

> Ola Toivonen

> Gary Hooper

[quote user="CanaryDodge84"]

CB: S.Bassong

CB: (Need another quality CB - not sure who this would be?

[/quote]

Michael Turner.

Not really sure why Turner is still being dismissed quite so resolutely by our supporters. He was the better CB from mid-Jan onwards.

If we are looking at another CB it would surely be someone who feels comfortable on the left side to deputise/compete with Bassong.

What does Turner have to do to convince certain fans he''s good enough. He''s easily as good as Bassong so there is no reason to replace him. In fact OP I would like to hear why Turner isn''t good enough?

I rate Michael Turner very highly, him and Bassong were my two P.O.T.S.

I think apart from needing a LB to cover Garrido , we are defensively sound including keepers.

I think Howson will feature more next season, he found a good run of form towards the end of last season and would be great if he can kick on from that and live Jo to the potential.

--------------------Ruddy---------------------

Naughton - Turner - Bassong - Olsson

Snodgrass - Johnson - Howson - Ronaldo

Thiago

RvW

Turner was better than Bassong for the second half of season, as already said. Ryan Bennett then looked very good in the few games he had.

"This would be my transfer targets/shopping list for this summer: -

> M.Olsson (Blackburn)

> Attacking, creative midfielder (Same quality as Van Ginkel)

> Attacking winger, such As Capel or Scott Sinclair

> Ola Toivonen

> Gary Hooper"

Van Ginkel alone is valued at 15 million euros, so someone of the "same quality" would be a huge chunk of our budget.

Hughton''s list will be a lot less expensive unless we get a sugar daddy in the next month.

Afternoon all,

Ok, my reasons for dismissing Turner are not based on him being a "bad player".  It is based on the fact i feel Norwich need to push onto the next level now.  I would be more than happy to see Turner apart of the match day squad and see him as a fantastic and reliable defender to deputise in the event that Bassong or the other CB signing i would like us to make gets injured/suspended.  I''m not saying i am not a fan of Turner''s, but i do feel that we need to push the team to the next level.  Sunderland deemed Turner surplus to requirements and kept Kilgallon and Bramble ahead of keeping him.  That''s not me saying that Turner is worse than these players as he simply isn''t but if he was "that good" then why would they let him go for what can be concidered a minimal transfer fee?

I just feel that the club is no "a-wash" with cash for the first time in it''s history.  From what i have heard and read about RVW came out of last seasons transfer budget.  And in any case, with all the extra money the club will be receiving from televison rights why shouldn''t we be spending around £30m on players now? 

Everything has been risen now, the transfer budget from last season has more than likley been boosted by the extra revenue and income by over 40% of last seasons budget (at a guess that is).  If a club spent £20 last season they can now afford to spend £30-£35m this summer.

This obvioulsy isn''t saying that every club will go out and spend that sort of money but we are now debt-free.  We used a large % of last seasons money to pay off our debts.  That''s money that doesn''t need to be spent in that area now so can be put towards the team budget.  I honestly don''t think it''s out of the realms of possability for us to be spending £30m this summer.

How many other Premier League sides would Michael Turner get into?  You can rule out the top 6/7 for starters.  Which then leaves these sides who have teh following CB''s within their squad: -

Aston Villa: - Clark, Baker and Vlaar

Cardiff: - Ben Turner, Hudson

Palace: - Gabbidon, Delaney, Ramage

Fulham: - Senderos, Hangelaand, Hughes

Hull: - Chester, McShane

Newcastle: - Colloccini, Taylor

Saints: - Forren, Lovren

Stoke: - Shawcross, Huth

Sunderland: - O''Shea, Cuellar

Swansea: - Williams, Chico

West Brom: - Ridgewell, Olsson, McCauley

West Ham: - Reid, Tomkins, Collins

Looking at the above, who would you put above Turner?  Who do you think is worse?

Personally, myself, I would take any defender from any of them teams except the promoted clubs and I think it would make a more solid CB partnership with Bassong.

Like i said, I don''t think Turner is bad............But I think now is the time for the club to build on RVW and push us to the next level.

Who that defender is i''m not sure but with a good scouting system it doesn''t need to cost the earth!

I will await to be shot down..........as usual by Pink''un plonkers!

You must be the only person (including CH) who thinks we need to spend big on another CB. I think I know who the only plonker is here.

The reality is that we could get by with keeping one of Ayala or Barnett for another season and signing another left back. So our need for anymore defenders other than that left back is actually not that desperate.

The only reason we really need that extra body is that Martin will be seen as priority cover in the centre and we''ll need that cover should something happen to Whittaker and he has to go and play full back again.

We need to strengthen in pretty much every other aspect of the team apart from the defensive game at the moment.

In DM we are suitably covered with Tettey and Johnson.

Its the creative element and the passing that needs to be improved. Competition for Howson and Wes along with a little bit more out wide and up front.

Could it not be, Chicken, that to add that creative element, we would be better suited finding a DM who can link play between defence and attack more than we currently possess? As great as Tettey and Johnson were at breaking up play and minimising opponents'' attack, they were both limited with distribution when we were in possession.

Although Sunderland did let him go, speaking to a few Sunderland fans, they would have kept him over and above some of the dross that stayed, but he was the only one that represented an opportunity to get some money in for - I think that was noted at the time also was it not?

I agree with chicken in regards to the defensive part of where we need to strengthen - LB only.

I think we need a center mid who''s not afraid to get a yellow card, I like tetty and Johnson but some times u need to take one for the team there were many times we conceded from a player running straight through the midfield, but maybe that''s more tactical play the two of them could bring into there game

[quote user="mbncfc1"]I think we need a center mid who''s not afraid to get a yellow card, I like tetty and Johnson but some times u need to take one for the team there were many times we conceded from a player running straight through the midfield, but maybe that''s more tactical play the two of them could bring into there game[/quote]

Like the Bale goal up the Barclay end, you could see it coming and I am confident that Tettey could have got a challenge in (FOUL) but didn''t. The writing was so clearly on the wall even at this point.

Yeah I think tetty was already booked at that point for the bale goal, I was thinking more recently at home to both reading and Villa, would have ernt us another point and keepted Villa down below us and made the reading game more comfortable at the end

Legend Iwan wrote: "Could it not be, Chicken, that to add that creative element, we would be better suited finding a DM who can link play between defence and attack more than we currently possess? As great as Tettey and Johnson were at breaking up play and minimising opponents'' attack, they were both limited with distribution when we were in possession."

I think it depends on how you look at things. Some of the best defensive midfielders in recent times in the world, have not been great passers of the ball. Gattuso was not known for being able to flight wonderful cross field passes. Makelele was the king of short passes and moving.

So no, I wouldn''t say that we needed another out and out defensive midfielder.

Also, if you were to analyse last season and suggest that the large part of our problem was the defensive midfielders being too sloppy with possession I would ask why they had so much of it, or at least more than others.

This refers back to what I have said before in that I think too much pressure was put upon our defensive players last season as our general play going forward and retaining possession in the opponents half wasn''t good enough.

A lot of the time we even had a lot of possession.

For what it is worth I think Johnson is probably the better player with the ball at his feet where as Tettey seems to struggle when asked to pass the ball more than ten yards. He has good energy but he almost looked afraid at times to try anything with the ball other than to just find the safe five yard ball.

That''s good in your own half, and it means you don''t have to look up as much, but at times it cost us the momentum of an attack and removed the chance of a goal on the break. I felt that Johnson tried to mix it more and tried longer more ambitious balls - and you do need that from a player.

But I think another pre-season behind them and they''ll improve, especially Tettey who had only signed just before the start of last season.

Saying that I do see Bridcutt as a bit of ''best of both'' he can sit more defensively but he is also a bit more proactive. He could play that role or alongside it so I can see why we may be interested in him.

Also, it is worth noting that Toivonen is no shirker, he can put himself about a bit for an attacking midfielder. And so he should, at 6''2 1/2" he should impose that midfield a little bit.

But we shall see. In terms of priority a DM or any defender other than LB is not it.

Even with RVW we are still short up front in terms of another clinical finisher, preferably with some pace. I am hoping we get Redmond because with the pace he could at least be deployed alongside Holt/Becchio or RVW and give defenders a bit of a run. It wouldn''t be the answer but he would provide that option should we not find another striker (which I find doubtful).

I noticed at Man City there was a point when they had a break on down our left at halfway, and one of our players (I think it was BJ) did pull back the attacker blatantly, think he got a card but it was worth it.

And I also thought Tettey was on a yellow when he didn''t foul Bale against Spurs.  But it would be nice to check back.  Is it possible to access match reports for past seasons on the Pinkun anywhere folks?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]You must be the only person (including CH) who thinks we need to spend big on another CB. I think I know who the only plonker is here.[/quote]

Yeah. There is no way CH is going to spend big bucks to replace the strongest defender at the club.

Sunderland''s loss is our massive gain.

As I remember it Tettey did try to foul Bale, but couldn''t quite knock him over - the ref waved on for advantage to Spurs.

Bale made a comment about it afterwards to prove he doesn''t always dive. Not that it would be worth diving on the halfway line.

I agree, the importance of bringing another striker in is paramount, Chicken, alongside one more winger.

In relation to the DM position, I would argue the whole concept has changed somewhat, but that is for another time. It does mean, though, that you need someone who offers more than simply intercepting the ball - although this is important.

Like I said I think tetty was already booked so had to pull out of any tackle on bale it was still one hell of a strike which you can''t take away from bale tbf it''s probably one of them things u don''t remember in a game unless the other team score from it ,I didn''t see the man city game but can''t remember many times are players taking a yellow to stop a counter attack

(Perhaps some positions are being filled in our ignorance.)

What the squad is crying out for is

1) A left back - if Garrido is injured or loses form, or is relegated to second for this position, we need a left back badly. I suspect that Olsson will not come now, unless we bid more, because Stoke have entered the race, and Stoke is managed by a former manager of his.

2) A striker - I think that unless Holt comes back as fit as in 2011, or Becchio convinces CH, we shall need one

3) A powerful, creative central midfielder. a generalissimo play maker