Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Hooper Update

Sounds like good news if true - £5m is much more like it, and it does seem rightly or wrongly (depending on who you are), that CH sees Hooper as one of his main targets.

I too hope Holt stays but if he is to go I would rather he go to Celtic than another EPL club. It would be awful for him to score against us or get points for a struggling team which may put pressure on us

I can''t see any other EPL side wanting him to be honest. I''m a fan of Holty but his age is against him.

Actual news or more paper rehash?

For 5 million would take him!

Someone on twitter suggesting it might have been done yesterday. Don''t we normally announce something at Norfolk Show such as a transfer or a new kit.

Hull apparently offered about £4m for him which was rejected. The figure of £5m seems reasonable given all the factors and would give us a strikeforce able to cover different styles of play.

Is there actually a proper online article rather than a couple of lines on the gossip column? You''d think if they weren''t just re-hashing past news and if they genuinely did have breaking news they would write an article for it...

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Is there actually a proper online article rather than a couple of lines on the gossip column? You''d think if they weren''t just re-hashing past news and if they genuinely did have breaking news they would write an article for it...[/quote]

I seem to recall some people saying on another post that James Nursey is supposedly the font of all NCFC news! Was he the source?

Can''t see anything in any paper - let alone the Mirror - about this one, so hopefully it''s a non-starter!

Didn''t Neil Lennon say yesterday that they had recieved one bid for Gary Hooper from Hull, which had been rejected, and no other bids?

Don''t think there is much substance in this rumour at the moment (although wouldn''t be surprised if Hooper eventually ends up at Norwich).

Highly doubt it would involved a swap for Grant Holt as Celtic don''t sign players over 26.

Putting all the cogent arguments that have been aired on the forum about Holt and Hooper, if its going to be then there couldn''t have been a better arrangement and a better time. Holty gets reunited with his family and gets a shot at the Champions League, I think he deserves that! He''s been brilliant for us in 3 leagues and with career time running out, it''s now or never. Celtic is my SPL team so if he is to go, there couldn''t be a better place personally speaking.

Now as for Hooper, Norwich might be a stepping stone but its back to a familiar part of the country being born in Harlow. I think he could form a formidable partnership with RVW...and we could still have a ''GH'' at no. 9

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Didn''t Neil Lennon say yesterday that they had recieved one bid for Gary Hooper from Hull, which had been rejected, and no other bids?

Don''t think there is much substance in this rumour at the moment (although wouldn''t be surprised if Hooper eventually ends up at Norwich).

Highly doubt it would involved a swap for Grant Holt as Celtic don''t sign players over 26.

[/quote]

Apart from Robbie Keane and Craig Bellamy...

They always seem to want one ''mid sized name'' striker on their books. Holt going there wouldn''t suprise me although i''d prefer we got Hooper and Holt stayed.

Hooleyfan wrote:

"Now as for Hooper, Norwich might be a stepping stone but its back to a familiar part of the country being born in Harlow. I think he could form a formidable partnership with RVW...and we could still have a ''GH'' at no. 9 "

Having grown up in Harlow, I would say that while Norwich may be geographically closer, I doubt it''s closer in any other meaningful way.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote] Apart from Robbie Keane and Craig Bellamy... They always seem to want one ''mid sized name'' striker on their books. Holt going there wouldn''t suprise me although i''d prefer we got Hooper and Holt stayed.[/quote]

Both signed before Neil Lennon was manager (Craig Bellamy was in 2005!). Since 2010 no one over the age of 26 has been signed by Celtic - the players they have signed for a fee since 2010 have been 24 at most. I can''t see why they would change this policy and break their wage ceiling for Grant Holt.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote] Apart from Robbie Keane and Craig Bellamy... They always seem to want one ''mid sized name'' striker on their books. Holt going there wouldn''t suprise me although i''d prefer we got Hooper and Holt stayed.[/quote]

Both signed before Neil Lennon was manager (Craig Bellamy was in 2005!). Since 2010 no one over the age of 26 has been signed by Celtic - the players they have signed for a fee since 2010 have been 24 at most. I can''t see why they would change this policy and break their wage ceiling for Grant Holt.

[/quote]

GH was older than 28 when Celtic wanted him last season...

As for the whole ''''swapping Holt plus £5m for Hooper'''' stuff, If Holt went and we signed Hooper, our strikeforce would then be RVW, Hooper, Becchio and Vaughan. Although I''d like to see the latter 2 involved more next year, I just can''t see it, meaning we''d need another striker I''d imagine. If Holt stays (fingers crossed), then a strikeforce of RVW, Hooper, Holt, plus Becchio and Vaughan in the wings seems a lot more lethal!

I personally think that hooper is well worth a punt for 5m. I always argue that if you score goals from goalscoring posituons you score goals in any league, positional sense and the strikers instinct cannot be taughtt. le fondre/holt/lambert have all proven that this year. Before Michu was at vallecano he scored something like 15 in 100 for celta Vigo, not exactly smashing down walls but now he''s regarded as deadly!

Hooper can only knock on the door and score against the opposition placed infront of him, he''s done that on a consistant basis and deserves a punt in the prem. I hope he signs and given the supply is good ill back him to score goals.

Here is another Hoover update. I''ve fixed it. It now sucks more than this thread.

[quote user="dpit"]Here is another Hoover update. I''ve fixed it. It now sucks more than this thread.[/quote]But not as much as either of the lame posts you''ve put on the thread yourself...