Sign in to follow this  
Cricketer

Erik Pieters hijack

Apparently according to the main dutch football magazine Stoke had agreed a 4.5m deal for him and he arrived yesterday for talks with Mrk Hughes but they have us down as matching the bid and he is now apparently ready to talk too us,it would interesting on two ocunts h is international mates with Van Wolfswinkel and might also give Toivonen the friendly face he knows for coming here aside from those though he rated as a very good international left back

The Dutch network is Voetbal they have been commenting on Mark Webber`s move in F1 so seem like a multi sport network i dont undestand dutch so i understand one in four words and use babylon translator on google lol

If I recall correctly they were the first media outlet that reported Van Foxy tadger signing for us so there could be something in this.

Interesting point about Toivonen too. I think this move may suit all parties if it were to come to fruition. Very good player too.

Not sure on general reliability of Voetbal but as I say, Im sure they were the ones who broke the RvW story.

Voetbal just means Football in Dutch and there isn''t a magazine of that name. There is Voetbal International who are fairly reliable but there is nothing on their website about Pieters and Norwich - there is a story from 9:30 this morning saying he is almost certainly going to sign for Stoke though...

This story could have some legs as Pieters was very much a Pulis deal that has been in the offing for a while. According to the attached link, Stoke are now considering Olsson too and they are reported to be facing wage ceiling problems with their squad. Although it seems a bit simplistic, it looks like we could get one of these players and Stoke the other. Either way, I wouldnt be unhappy.

What attached link?

I also wonder what people think Garrido''s role will be next season, as i''d expect we have bought him to play most games. Perhaps a Naughtonesque full back who can comfortably operate both flanks would be more astute?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]What attached link? I also wonder what people think Garrido''s role will be next season, as i''d expect we have bought him to play most games. Perhaps a Naughtonesque full back who can comfortably operate both flanks would be more astute?[/quote]

It''s an interesting situation with Garrido, who was very good at times, but also had some very poor games (QPR away was a shocker). I do wonder if Norwich weren''t contractually obliged to if he would have been signed for next season.

There is a certain need for another left back, and the club should go for someone who ends up putting Garrido on the bench. I don''t think there is a need for a player who can cover both left and right back as with Marin and Whittaker already at the club the right side of defence is well covered.

JS,Oops - now attached.http://www.stoke.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=323003However, according to Oatcake (their equivaelnt of the Pinkun) Pieters to them looks pretty much like a done deal and there are few posts quoting ducth fans saying he is a bit reckless. I would be more than happy with Olsson as our main competition for a LB (West Ham and Stoke) look like they could both be sorted.As to Garrido, I think we need an injection of pace into the flanks, so both Naughton and Olsson would be good alternatives away from home where we are likely to sit deeper and play the counter attack.

But is he replacement for Pieters or Willems ^^

Pieters was out almost whole last season and you never know with what form he comes back. Jetro Willems has been in few rumours and played as their and national team first choise left back.

Bruma is by the way CB, if we are talking about Jeffrey.

Don''t think we want him. A lot of cash for someone that was injured most of last season. Also  he is often referred to as a bit of a liability on threads on the Stoke message board oatcakes