Sign in to follow this  
super dave

Holt to wigan

Sorry for another Holt thread but Holt to Wigan for 4 mil is the newest rumour today if you believe what you read in the papers ( which I don''t)

chips and gravy, many and numerous pies and more takeaways than anywhere else...Bye Grant. enjoy the new club!

IF this is true, surely no one would think it would be best to keep Holt and not take the £4 million? The move makes sense all round and even pays for the majority of the Toivenen fee if the £4.7 million fee being reported is true. It just depends on if Holt would take the step down to the Championship again. And if it''s true of course.

In my opinion, we need four credible strikers in the squad - not the least to give our manager the option of playing more than one at a time which some have suggested dictated our tactics last season - I would include Holt in that four. Lose him and that leaves only one - RvW.

would bite their hand off if there offering 4m! crazy money for a player who lets face it has only a few years left. The money would also allow us to get a suitable replacement works for all concerned this

For £4 million we''d be mad not to take it as we''d get nothing like that in the future. However we''d need to be sure of getting in 2 further strikers, Toivonan and Hooper for example. Would Dave Whelan pay that much for a 32 year old? He''s always seemed canny with the cash.

The problem is that we do not know what other deals are being done and whether CH wants to cover all bases as regards to style of play. Holt is a useful target man but if CH does not want to play formations that utilise that role then £4m is a tidy sum.

After the alleged comments by Holt''s agent saying they were basically open to interesting offers, I would not be at all surprised to see him linked with a different club a week until the end of the window....

I''ll stick by my opinion that we should start the season with Holt, £4m or not.

Wait and see how things have panned out by the time of the January window and if either side then fancies a parting of the ways , then so be it.

When the time comes for Holt to leave it must seem to be the right time, and I don''t think it seems right just now.

We need continuity in the squad, new players need to bed in and Holt will still have an impact role on the pitch even if he is an infrequent starter. Why rush prematurely into a decision that need not be made because a few £££s are dangled before us? I also doubt the £4m figure as well, by the way. 

January prices are notoriously inflated and there are bound to be one or two Championship hopefuls who would view GH as a valuable acquisition in a push for a promotion or play-off place.

Anything around £2m at that time would be ideal, assuming it appears that Holt''s days in the yellow are finally numbered. 

4mil is a lot of money for a 32 year old who did not have an amazing season last term. Holt has been a talisman for the club in recent years and I am one of his biggest fans but it is time to move on I feel, if we want to try and step up another level we have to. I just feel he wont offer us as much as he did say 2 years ago and lets face it he will never have a better season than his first one in the prem. Plus at his age small injury niggles will linger a lot longer.
If he does go the we most likely have a couple of strikers lined up, i.e. Hooper and Toivonen. I don''t personally rate Hooper that highly but willing to give him a chance.
We have to let go at some time and the same will be said about Hoolahan, getting on in years and has not been as good as he use to be. He can beat a player yes but he passing was not up to it last year to often and for a number 10 he does not score enough, to make the step up we need a No10 who can get 8+ goals.
Love them both but think its time to move on.

Converting our playing assets to cash is only an effective strategy if you convert the cash back to operational assets. After all a cash rich balance sheet will not look so good set against the loss of PL broadcasting income in the following season.