Sign in to follow this  
ryanncfc

Signing failures

Talk of these new rumoured signings from around Europe has got me thinking. Over the past few years (say last 15 years even) we have signed some very poor (to be kind to them!) players, after being promised they will be a major coup. So what are peoples top flops over the last few years? (Idon''t mean the worst players, but the players who maybe had shone for other clubs but were slightly disasterous here).I''ll throw a few in (and these are just from the past 5/6 years!!):Julien BrellierJuan VelascoThomas HelvegDavid StrihavkaCarl CortAntoine SibierskiThe list could go on and on. But just for a bit of fun, who would people include as big flops?

[quote user="Thorny"]Helveg was not a failure. Decent player, misused.[/quote]

Seconded. Wasnt he also injured for a large part of the campaign?

Might be my memory playing tricks on me, but wasn''t he a vital part of the team during the second half of the season when we nearly pulled it off?

Seem to remember a wonderful free kick delivery assist for Ashton''s header vs Newcastle (The Safri screamer game. Kluivert equalised in 90th min and we won it 2-1 with a winner deep into injury time)

Just remembered Helveg also got Damian Johnson sent off in the first half of the last home game of the season vs Birmingham. Dived when Johnson threw a punch, even though he wasn''t within 6 foot of him. Ref indicated he''d seen DJ land the punch and duly sent him off. Was an outrageous decision.

Helveg was initially played out of position, when Worthington decided to play him properly our performances improved.

I was so disappointed with Strihavka after thinking he would be a Michu / Benteke type gem. I bumped into him when he first arrived at Norwich Airport. Tried to have a conversation but his English was really limited. Not a good first impression when he seemed to be clearing out the airport shop''s supply of Mars Bars.

Thankfully things have moved on now, and we''re only looking at more proven players.

We have been very lucky in the last 3/4 years that the majority of our signings have worked out. Historically, some of how biggest signings were the biggest flops!!

Muzinic, Beckford, Paul Blades, Mike Sheron all came with large price tags & reputations as the next big thing. All flopped pretty badly!

Pretty much every player signed by Grant disappointed & a number of the Roeder/Gunn signings fell short of expectations. Lambert & Hughton have generally delivered in the transfer market.

Lets hope RVW does not get added to this list in years to come.....