Sign in to follow this  
morty

Unthinkable?

It happens, all our transfer dealings fall on their ar$e and we have to go with what we have got.Unthinkable or not?We have a good group, but maybe struggled with goals. We have Ricky, and two particular players that emerged from the shadows at the back end of last season (and are now genuine contenders for a starting place ) in Ryan Bennet and Jonny Howson.Throw in Butterfield finding form or an emerging youth team player and could this work?

There will be problems however. Injuries, suspensions, exhausted players, etc. In the modern game a bigger squad is needed.

Not to mention the outcry about where all the money has gone!

I think new signings lift morale in most cases. If we went with what we''ve got we have to right to complain if we are relegated, even with RVW.

i dont think we should be too concerned, the window does not open until the 1st of july we may have one or two wrapped up but their not announcing them becuase we cant hold a press conference, atleast thats my hope

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]When clubs stay still they fail, need constant improvement to maintain position[/quote]Good point[Y]This thread is me mainly drawing on the positives we have in the current squad (mainly inspired by the fact I am currently watching the season review DVD!) and, in my opinion, there really isn''t a huge amount wrong with what we have now.

Although not confirmed yet, if you look at some of the players other clubs you would expect to be around us are targeting it is vital Norwich strengthen.
If Swansea bring in Bony, Cardiff get Cardoza and (the craziest of all) Southampton are going for Leandro Damiao then the signing of Van Wolfswinkel won''t look so impressive come August.
This is building to be one of the strangest transfer windows in Premier League history with clubs who are expected to finish in the lower half of the table looking to spend £10m - £20m on internationally known strikers. Whilst I''m sure a lot of the rumours and bids flying around are clubs testing the water, with no one really sure what level of player they are capable of attracting, I also think there will be plenty of ''WTF?'' signings in the next month or so - especially with a World Cup on the horizon.
It''s very early days and people are kidding themselves if Norwich will be able to land all their first choice players - no club is capable of that.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Although not confirmed yet, if you look at some of the players other clubs you would expect to be around us are targeting it is vital Norwich strengthen.
If Swansea bring in Bony, Cardiff get Cardoza and (the craziest of all) Southampton are going for Leandro Damiao then the signing of Van Wolfswinkel won''t look so impressive come August.
This is building to be one of the strangest transfer windows in Premier League history with clubs who are expected to finish in the lower half of the table looking to spend £10m - £20m on internationally known strikers. Whilst I''m sure a lot of the rumours and bids flying around are clubs testing the water, with no one really sure what level of player they are capable of attracting, I also think there will be plenty of ''WTF?'' signings in the next month or so - especially with a World Cup on the horizon.
It''s very early days and people are kidding themselves if Norwich will be able to land all their first choice players - no club is capable of that.

[/quote]

I think this was bound to be the case with the mega-money TV deal starting. The other point is that this is a summer without a World Cup or a European Championships, so clubs are not having to wait for a competition to finish before they can get players to think about next season.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Although not confirmed yet, if you look at some of the players other clubs you would expect to be around us are targeting it is vital Norwich strengthen.
[/quote]

But to be fair Bethnal didn''t we hear all this before with Soton signing Ramires and Rodriguez, QPR signed half of Europe, Reading signed that Russian bloke etc etc

We stuck with Holt which definitely looked a lot less impressive but it didn''t exactly pan out too badly.

If we don''t sign anyone else then we will repeat the relegation scrap of last year but will be good enough to survive. If we get 3 or 4 of the names mentioned then we can be a reliable mid table side

I certainly hope so. After the missed opportunities of the last two transfers windows, certainly as regards strikers, let''s hope we don''t start the season with only RvW in the squad. We need four strikers not one. Let''s hope we avoid the temptation to cash in on Holt.

[quote user="morty"](mainly inspired by the fact I am currently watching the season review DVD!)[/quote]Bit off topic but I didn''t realise this was out.  How much does it cost?

Saying that, I predict we''ll sign four or five new players by the start of the season. I''ve got a good feeling about Hooper and I don''t care what anyone says 60+ goals in 90 odd games is great in any league, he''s also got Champions League experience aged 25, would be a fantastic purchase for Norwich.

Leroy Fer would again be an amazing signing. He''s been highly rated since a young age and always scored goals to prove his reputation. If we sign him it would be as good as RVW, but not getting my hopes up.

Ollson, Toivonen, just being linked with these types of players is great news for us Norwich fans, and since McNally has been at the top, I can''t recall a time where we haven''t got the right type of players we need. Therefore I highly doubt we''d be sticking with what players we have, Hughton will know who he wants and I''m McNally and everyone will deliver as always.

Unless we want to be mathematically down by mid-March we still (at least) need;1) A goalkeeper with as much positional sense as Ruddy and Bunn combined.2) A left-back with more hair and talent than Tierney.3) A central midfielder who possesses all the individual virtues of the job lot we currently, who can all do only one thing.4) A winger who can put one foot in front of the other with more rapidity than the glacial speed exhibited by Snodgrass and Pilkington.5) A striker who might actually have defenders worried about conceding goals in open play.

[quote user="morty"]It happens, all our transfer dealings fall on their ar$e and we have to go with what we have got.Unthinkable or not?[/quote]Not unthinkable, or even impossible that this is what may happen - but if it does then it''ll be a long season near the foot of the table. 

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="morty"](mainly inspired by the fact I am currently watching the season review DVD!)[/quote]Bit off topic but I didn''t realise this was out.  How much does it cost?[/quote]£15.  £1 per goal.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="morty"](mainly inspired by the fact I am currently watching the season review DVD!)[/quote]Bit off topic but I didn''t realise this was out.  How much does it cost?[/quote]18 quid with season ticket discount[Y]

People will always demand 7 or 8 transfers every summer but I remmber back in "my day", mid- 80''s-early 90''s it would be totally commonplace for NCFC to only make 1 or 2 signings each summer, presumably as the budget we had maybe wouldnt improve the team but also because we had a decent core of a team?

I remember in 88/89 we only signed Towsend and Malcolm Allen and people were up in arms....we went on to finish 4th, the summer after that we signed 1 player ,David Phillips, the next summer ,again one player in Tim Sherwood, still with consistent top half finishes, the summer after that I think we sold Fleck and only made 2 signings in Robins and Megson,people said we''d ge relegated and we went onto finish 3rd.

Wholesale changes arent always necessary, we need to keep the core of what we have with a couple of improvements in key areas.

GJL, as I read page 1 of comments I had the same basic thought you expressed. What is wrong with consistency? The last couple of games maybe were an accidental ndication the players and manager all have things figured out. While everyone else starts next season trying to reformulate their chemistry, we have ours figured out. That eliminates another early season slump which is like an extra 5 or more points by season''s end.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="morty"](mainly inspired by the fact I am currently watching the season review DVD!)[/quote]Bit off topic but I didn''t realise this was out.  How much does it cost?[/quote]18 quid with season ticket discount[Y][/quote]Cheers!  That''ll keep me out of trouble for a weekend I''m sure [Y]

Not unthinkable, but I can''t see it happening. For a start, City already have a huge signing in RvW and Garrido''s permanent deal is also good. Even if Toivenon, Redmond and Fer don''t come, there will be others to pursue. The window hasn''t even opened yet. The difference this year is that City have a settled squad of 24 or so players from last season, some of whom 4-5 of whom could be replaced as the squad evolves within the PL. It''s all about a few quality players now, not the 10 or so last season.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="morty"](mainly inspired by the fact I am currently watching the season review DVD!)[/quote]Bit off topic but I didn''t realise this was out.  How much does it cost?[/quote]18 quid with season ticket discount[Y][/quote]About 3 Mojito''s in Chicagos!

[quote user="Leedscanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="morty"](mainly inspired by the fact I am currently watching the season review DVD!)[/quote]Bit off topic but I didn''t realise this was out.  How much does it cost?[/quote]18 quid with season ticket discount[Y][/quote]About 3 Mojito''s in Chicagos![/quote]

Ha!![:D]

On paper I think the squad is capable of holding its own. But we''ve seen, with teams before that seem to have plenty of quality within their ranks, that if you chosse not to bring players in you struggle.

I think this is probably the psychological aspect, rather than the rest of the field moving forward and you standing still.

I think for many players, bringing in new blood freshens things up, and gives the impression their club is moving forward. If you dont bring new players in, existing players get comfortable, and there is always the possibility they feel the club is not moving on and become demoralised - like when Rooney put in jhis transfer request at Man U due to a lack of signings.

So on paper I think having to rely on the current players wouldnt be a disaster, the psychological impact of no new blood could be devastating