Sign in to follow this  
Dr Zeuss

Canaries Royal Norfolk Show stand

Only a camera went missing?

That really IS a missed opportunity..

That was in jest before anyone falls off a high horse..

;-)

[quote user="ITK Twitterer"]Please note, LDC and company complaining nothing for kids to do, missed my post, ahem. I was there, saw it. Video shows it. I assume more disappointment no recognisable faces to supporters on show. I was disappointed not to see Wurzle Gummidge & Co walking around signing autographs and that there were more real tractor boys about.[/quote]

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=501925076547472&set=vb.133065016766815&type=2&theater

Let''s see if this helps or will they still ignore you....

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]For me there''s been a general disassociation by the club from the great unwashed gradually over the years.

The same goes for press access and general lack of information coming from that quarter.

At least on a Friday night on Look East or About Anglia you would often get an interview with a player or the Manager or team news or a quirky story about the club, but those days seem long gone.

I suppose that''s progress for you.[/quote]Ah but when they pander to the fans they are "Little ole Narrrich"We either want to be a cosy community club or a Premiership outfit with a global audience of billions.I am guessing, but I would imagine that press and coverage is very tightly by Sky contractual agreements.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]For me there''s been a general disassociation by the club from the great unwashed gradually over the years.

The same goes for press access and general lack of information coming from that quarter.

At least on a Friday night on Look East or About Anglia you would often get an interview with a player or the Manager or team news or a quirky story about the club, but those days seem long gone.

I suppose that''s progress for you.[/quote]Ah but when they pander to the fans they are "Little ole Narrrich"We either want to be a cosy community club or a Premiership outfit with a global audience of billions.I am guessing, but I would imagine that press and coverage is very tightly by Sky contractual agreements.[/quote]

Sky can ban a club from talking to Look East or Archant? I don''t think so, morty. I would amazed if that were the case. The deal with Sky may include some obligations for clubs (interviews for example) to do with matches that are covered, but not the kind of censorship you''re talking about.And your either-or of  "a cosy club  a cosy community club or a Premiership outfit with a global audience of billions" is an absurd false alternative.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]For me there''s been a general disassociation by the club from the great unwashed gradually over the years.

I suppose that''s progress for you.[/quote]Ah but when they pander to the fans they are "Little ole Narrrich"We either want to be a cosy community club or a Premiership outfit with a global audience of billions.I am guessing, but I would imagine that press and coverage is very tightly by Sky contractual agreements.[/quote]

Sky can ban a club from talking to Look East or Archant? I don''t think so, morty. I would amazed if that were the case. The deal with Sky may include some obligations for clubs (interviews for example) to do with matches that are covered, but not the kind of censorship you''re talking about.And your either-or of  "a cosy club  a cosy community club or a Premiership outfit with a global audience of billions" is an absurd false alternative.

[/quote]I never implied a ban, merely that Sky would have the lion''s share of media coverage, which is only right, considering how much money they give us.Why is it absurd, the differences in a club even playing regularly in the Championship, and the Premiership are massive on all levels, money from sponsorship, product affiliations, copyrighted products and the implications of failure. Its the difference between a corner shop and Asda. And you don''t get to be Asda by being cute and cuddly, you get to the top and stay there by being ruthless and business like.That do you?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]I never implied a ban, merely that Sky would have the lion''s share of media coverage, which is only right, considering how much money they give us.

[/quote]

That is exactly what you did, morty. You said you imagined Sky''s contractual agreements "very tightly" controlled (the word was missing but that was obviously it) what access other media could have with clubs. That is a ban or a veto. And you said this explained why Norwich City seemed to appear now so infrequently on the local TV stations.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]I never implied a ban, merely that Sky would have the lion''s share of media coverage, which is only right, considering how much money they give us.

[/quote]

That is exactly what you did, morty. You said you imagined Sky''s contractual agreements "very tightly" controlled (the word was missing but that was obviously it) what access other media could have with clubs. That is a ban or a veto. And you said this explained why Norwich City seemed to appear now so infrequently on the local TV stations.

[/quote]Are you bored and just fancy a bit of a picky argument?

[quote user="morty"]

Are you bored and just fancy a bit of a picky argument?[/quote]

And right on time the well-known morty fall-back ploy upon losing an argument; namely to belittle the argument itself.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"]

Are you bored and just fancy a bit of a picky argument?[/quote]

And right on time the well-known morty fall-back ploy upon losing an argument; namely to belittle the argument itself.

[/quote]Lets just say you won[Y]

i didn''t go cos the ticket prices were outrageous, i watched it on a stream instead,  it was really boring terrible atmosphere and fans being  herded around like cattle into standing enclosures for segregaion purposes i assume ? or maybe they were cattle? the qualitly of the stream wasn''t the best. very poor effort by the club OTBC

Didnt go this year but in previous years it has been the Community Sports Foundation who have had the more fun stall, with the clubs stall really not ever doing much.

A for players it''s still not pre season and so many are still away on holiday.

For me if they were to do anything making the most of our wonderful under 18s would of been good.

Anyone know if they did something for them?

I went and I have to say the Leicester Tigers rugby stand blew Norwich City''s away.

They had great interaction with the kids.  Free photo of the Premiership Trophy taken by a member of staff emailed straight to you while you were there and people manning the stall that really wanted to push the club out there.  A credit and I even came away thinking Id like to go watch them one day. 

OK so Norwich sell out week in week out and probably dont need to push the club as much as the Tigers do, but the youngsters remember things like the show as its often the first interaction with the club.

TBF to NCFC the chap manning the youth trophy was friendly as was the lady selling Yellows, but as someone said, it would have been nice to have had someone doing a bit of met and greet when you arrived at the stall and not just trying to flog you stuff.  A trick missed I agree.

[quote user="pablofarmer"]Didnt go this year but in previous years it has been the Community Sports Foundation who have had the more fun stall, with the clubs stall really not ever doing much. A for players it''s still not pre season and so many are still away on holiday. For me if they were to do anything making the most of our wonderful under 18s would of been good. Anyone know if they did something for them?[/quote]

They had a big picture and up and you could have your phototaken in front of it holding the trophy.  I got lucky as when we arrived around lunchtime I got to do it straight away.  As soon as others saw me with it a massive queue formed!!!

[quote user="Ren"]

I went and I have to say the Leicester Tigers rugby stand blew Norwich City''s away.

They had great interaction with the kids.  Free photo of the Premiership Trophy taken by a member of staff emailed straight to you while you were there and people manning the stall that really wanted to push the club out there.  A credit and I even came away thinking Id like to go watch them one day. 

OK so Norwich sell out week in week out and probably dont need to push the club as much as the Tigers do, but the youngsters remember things like the show as its often the first interaction with the club.

TBF to NCFC the chap manning the youth trophy was friendly as was the lady selling Yellows, but as someone said, it would have been nice to have had someone doing a bit of met and greet when you arrived at the stall and not just trying to flog you stuff.  A trick missed I agree.

[/quote]Well if Leicester Tigers can do it from 120 miles away how come we can''t from just a few minutes down the Southern by-pass ?There''s been some good points on here despite the best efforts of those who think that anyone who makes any sort of negative observation is having a '' pop '' at the Club.NCFC do a lot right at Carrow Rd and the city centre. It''s a pity they can''t seem to do the same outside NR1.......

I did not go to the show but spoke to somebody who goes every year and is a big city fan so makes a point of seeking out the NCFC stand and apparently this year it was the worst by far and cringeworthy. Snodgrass who was there was not in attendance as a Norwich City player but just a normal punter on a day out.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Ren"]

[/quote]Well if Leicester Tigers can do it from 120 miles away how come we can''t from just a few minutes down the Southern by-pass ?There''s been some good points on here despite the best efforts of those who think that anyone who makes any sort of negative observation is having a '' pop '' at the Club.NCFC do a lot right at Carrow Rd and the city centre. It''s a pity they can''t seem to do the same outside NR1.......[/quote]I think it was more a case of people moaning about it that didn''t even make the effort to turn up.

I don''t want to rake over old ground but I bet that if Lambert was still in charge then the entire first team would have spent the day forming human pyramids with guests invited to stand on top, one by one.  (If the pyramid fell over then they''d just "pick themselves up and go again").Roger Munby would have been rolled out to shake people''s hands vigorously again, free season tickets would have fallen from the sky, and we''d have converted twelve or so local plastic Man U fans until midway through the following season.If we can''t put transfer dealings and pre-season preparation on hold for a week or so in order to put on a good stand at the Royal Norfolk Show, what is the point in being a Premiership football club?

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]If we can''t put transfer dealings and pre-season preparation on hold for a week or so in order to put on a good stand at the Royal Norfolk Show, what is the point in being a Premiership football club?[/quote]

We all know how tedious these shows can be, you walk past some stalls and you wonder why they are there.  At best they are a showcase for the attitude of  the businesses towards their customers.    At worst they are a waste of time and can give a bad impression of the business if they look as if they aren''t bothered.     No-one would want NCFC to take valuable resources away from the football side of things, but  the profile of the club is an important issue.   I repeat what I said earlier - if you are going to put on a stand at a show, make sure you do it properly, otherwise there is no point in doing it.    If you went and it was not good then comments could be sent to Stephen Graham at NCFC, as supporter liaison officer, he might like to know.  Often with these things if no-one says anything, the club might think it was all wonderful. 

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]What does "do it properly" constitute?[/quote]

Doing activities including club in the community type things demonstrating what the club does or has to offer young kids.  Games, activities, mini-competitions,

photo-opportunities, a TV screen showing past matches, freebies, personalities from the club - anything that gets people interested.    Maybe the club did some of that, great if so,  but if not, they would have missed an opportunity for good pr.

In Cumbria, Carlisle Utd have vans with club colours and "Carlisle Utd, Football in the Community" on them, that go around schools and  community events, encouraging kids as young as five to play football.  can offer.  I wonder, do we have NCFC vans in club colours that go around schools and communities?    When I see the Carlisle vans going around it always impresses me.  I live 25 miles from Carlisle but see the vans quite regularly at schools and events around here.

Pretty sure the club did everything you stated above apart from personalities from the club because all the players are still on holiday...?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]What does "do it properly" constitute?[/quote]

Doing activities including club in the community type things demonstrating what the club does or has to offer young kids.  Games, activities, mini-competitions,

photo-opportunities, a TV screen showing past matches, freebies, personalities from the club - anything that gets people interested.    Maybe the club did some of that, great if so,  but if not, they would have missed an opportunity for good pr.

In Cumbria, Carlisle Utd have vans with club colours and "Carlisle Utd, Football in the Community" on them, that go around schools and  community events, encouraging kids as young as five to play football.  can offer.  I wonder, do we have NCFC vans in club colours that go around schools and communities?    When I see the Carlisle vans going around it always impresses me.  I live 25 miles from Carlisle but see the vans quite regularly at schools and events around here.

[/quote]While these are fair points if we were exhibiting in Abu Dhabi or Malaysia, my guess would be that the club know they don''t really need to "get people interested" at the Royal Norfolk Show.  The stadium is full, season tickets are all sold, the club''s in the best position it''s been for aeons and there will always be a rump of plastic Scousers/Man U fans you''ll never convert.In that context, handing out a few freebies on a low-key stand at what is still primarily an agricultural event seems reasonable to me.I can''t wait until Everton beat us so we have something material to whine about.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]What does "do it properly" constitute?[/quote]

[/quote]Incidentally, and whether or not I agree with you, I appreciate and respect the fact you are one of the few posters to answer questions head-on and in detail.

I remember going to the Norfolk show and getting Chris Sutton''s autograph and getting to take a penalty against one of our keepers.

It certainly helped spark my interest in our club at a young age.

If we are being outdone by Leicester Tigers on our own doorstep then that''s a poor show! (literally)

Norwich do FITC, they''ve been to my kids school, they also run coaching schools during the season and in the holidays. My son attended for a couple of years where the coaches included Danny Mills old man and some decent young coaches. The focus was on making football fun and being at Carrow Park the kids got to play in the shadow of the stadium.

My son always told everyone he had football at "Carrow Road"....

As for the show, they probably could have made more of it but why waste the money? Why give stuff away for free when people will pay for it? Of course there is the PR angle but as Van Chopsburg points out, NCFC has a captive audience, there isn''t an alternative in Norfolk, we sell out our ground, have a waiting list for season tickets and the fact that we are on Sky and MOTD every week will do more to convince the youngsters to follow us then a few stationery sets and some stickers. It wasn''t always that way, I remember getting my picture taken with Tony Spearing holding the Canon division 2 trophy in the summer of 86, but it is the nature of the beast.

And some people just love to moan about the club...

McNally doesn''t do little ol'' Norwich, the family club. Ask FONCY, but his ruthlessness has helped put us where we are and the RNS and other "nice-to-haves" will remain just that for a while to come I should think.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Anybody who goes to the RNS needs their head examining.[/quote]

Lmao!

[quote user="Warren Hill"]Norwich do FITC, they''ve been to my kids school, they also run coaching schools during the season and in the holidays. My son attended for a couple of years where the coaches included Danny Mills old man and some decent young coaches. The focus was on making football fun and being at Carrow Park the kids got to play in the shadow of the stadium.

My son always told everyone he had football at "Carrow Road"....

As for the show, they probably could have made more of it but why waste the money? Why give stuff away for free when people will pay for it? Of course there is the PR angle but as Van Chopsburg points out, NCFC has a captive audience, there isn''t an alternative in Norfolk, we sell out our ground, have a waiting list for season tickets and the fact that we are on Sky and MOTD every week will do more to convince the youngsters to follow us then a few stationery sets and some stickers. It wasn''t always that way, I remember getting my picture taken with Tony Spearing holding the Canon division 2 trophy in the summer of 86, but it is the nature of the beast.

And some people just love to moan about the club...

McNally doesn''t do little ol'' Norwich, the family club. Ask FONCY, but his ruthlessness has helped put us where we are and the RNS and other "nice-to-haves" will remain just that for a while to come I should think.[/quote]

For starters (going on what people have said) it would have taken a tiny amount of money and effort to put on a better show. Secondly,  there is a difference between the kind of McNally ruthlessness you are talking about (which has its good and its bad points) and maintaining the image of a family club with its roots in the county. That is why we have a full stadium and a waiting list, because people get to identify with the club at a young age and stay with it through the bad times.

it costs £35,000 for a pitch at the RNS... how much do you want the club to spend there?why should they give freebies?