Sign in to follow this  
unique

Not a great week at NCFC

As fans wait with baited breath for any sort of positive news in the transfer market, the last week of June provided very little encouragement.

As much as Leeds are now seen as Norwich City''s ''feeder'' club, we surely cemented ourselves as Aston Villa''s ''feeder'' club when the total number of ex-Norwich City employers moving to Villa Park in the short space of a year reached the unhealthy figure of seven. DM may have been expectedly dismissive of the three backroom staff that moved this week, but they were, after all, part of one of Norwich City''s most successful periods in their history.

Jed Steer''s unwillingness to sign a new contract became slightly more significant when news emerged of Chelsea''s interest in John Ruddy. They may well have been testing the water, but I''m not sure putting a price of £10m on his head was the smartest of moves when his value to Norwich next season must be well in excess of that.

The continued rumours surrounding Grant Holt are hopefully just that. Although not always at his best last season, he should still be a valuable component of Norwich''s striker squad next season, with Hughton hopefully ensuring a better stream of service to the strikers.

Norwich''s supposed interest in Kone drew a blank as soon as said player decreed he wished to move to Everton. What wasn''t expected was Redmond pretty much declaring the same, especially after the EDP reported an accepted bid from Norwich. If the fact that the player previously worked under Hughton didn''t give us an edge, then further disappointment can be expected.

That Toivonen appears to be dragging his heels may well be due to his holiday. However, previous interest from Sunderland, Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle would suggest that he may well be holding out for alternative offers....not a ringing endorsement for any enthusiasm to come to Carrow Road. His goal-scoring stats are more than encouraging, which begs the question why the four clubs named above didn''t pursue their interest.

Fer would appear to be a terrific acquisition, just a shame that we seem to be competing with Everton and Martinez for many of these players. Judging by the way he comes across when interviewed, and by the gushing praise showered on him by Kenwright, it would appear that Martinez could sell coal to Newcastle, and will be a formidable rival when competing for the signature of any of these players.

Hooper has to be worth a shout at £5m. Far less than we were originally quoted, it should be far easier for Hooper to settle in the Premiership than many of the foreign imports that are currently racing to these shores. He is clearly an instinctive goalscorer, and defences in the PL are proving more vulnerable year on year.

So as the week comes to an end there have been several departures, unwanted rumours surrounding two key players, snubs from a couple of potential targets, and nothing concrete surrounding the likes of Toivonen, Fer and Hooper.

Here''s hoping next week gets off to a positive start and Hughton starts to acquire some of his primary targets.

Been through a lot,lot worse. Twitter rumours,paper rumours, hearsay and unsubstantiated gossip isn''t going to depress me.

Neither is Villa taking some backroom staff and a fourth/fifth choice goalkeeper. Feeder club my arse.

[quote user="morty"]Lol, pantwetting before we have even kicked a ball?[/quote]this!what a bizzare opening post!

There are a lot of rumours presented as facts there Mr. Unique. I think it might just kick off this coming week.

I see it more positively:

Ola Toivenen: We have had a bid accepted and he is due to talk to the Club soon. Didn''t he say as much?

Nathan Redmond: Is apparently talking to all interested parties this week, although Everton will be favourites.

Leroy Fer: ditto

Hooper: For some reason this seems more likely than ever.

Ollson: Why not?

Plus the inevitable rabbit from the hat.

I hope there''s no egg on my face by this time next week.

All that negativity and he hasn''t even mentioned the Norfolk Show, the dust up between McNally and Foulger or the weather!!!!

Jeez, there''s the negative view, and some.

Meanwhile, in my world we have continued to be linked with some decent players, some of whom may yet sign (we obviously wouldn''t want all of them!), there are plenty of alternative options if we don''t. I could care very little about a couple of back room staff leaving - I doubt any of us had a clue who they are or what they did, but they were PL appointments and CH will bring his own guys in. That they went to Villa = big wow.

The only downside was losing our 4th choice keeper, a good prospect but who might have had to wait 4-5 years to get a game, so hardly surprising that he sought pastures new. That he went to Villa is vaguely annoying, for want of a better term, but at least we should get a fair whack for him.

1). We have no reason to believe that Lambert''s staff are any better than Hughton''s staff, with the possible exception of Ian Culverhouse.

2). I''d never heard of four of them, had you? Did they steal our goalkeeping coach? Because we now have the England goalkeeping coach, and Ruddy was playing the best football of his career under Hughton up to the injury.

3) Jed Steer would not have played a single Premier League game for us in the 2013/14 season and I don''t think he is any better than Declan Rudd.

4) Nobody at the club has put a price of £10m on Ruddy''s head, a tabloid journalist has made this up.

5) We don''t need Kone, we will sign a better younger striker.

6) If Redmond has declared his desire to move to Everton then good luck to him. He is a good prospect, but would have been unlikely to have any greater impact than Elliott Bennett will have in the next season or two.

7) Toivonen was given until Wednesday to decide whether to join, and it isn''t Wednesday yet.

8) Martinez talks the talk, but Everton will be dragged into mid-table obscurity with us next season, that''s what you get when you sign mid-table players.

9) Selling coal to Newcastle would be a piece of piddle because the mines were closed by Thatcher in the 1980''s.

10) There will be the end of 3rd July, you can hold me to it.

11) McNally has said that we will sign four or five, I believe him.

12) Chill out, the players aren''t even back for training yet.

[quote user="unique"]

As fans wait with baited breath for any sort of positive news in the transfer market, the last week of June provided very little encouragement.

As much as Leeds are now seen as Norwich City''s ''feeder'' club, we surely cemented ourselves as Aston Villa''s ''feeder'' club when the total number of ex-Norwich City employers moving to Villa Park in the short space of a year reached the unhealthy figure of seven. DM may have been expectedly dismissive of the three backroom staff that moved this week, but they were, after all, part of one of Norwich City''s most successful periods in their history.

Jed Steer''s unwillingness to sign a new contract became slightly more significant when news emerged of Chelsea''s interest in John Ruddy. They may well have been testing the water, but I''m not sure putting a price of £10m on his head was the smartest of moves when his value to Norwich next season must be well in excess of that.

The continued rumours surrounding Grant Holt are hopefully just that. Although not always at his best last season, he should still be a valuable component of Norwich''s striker squad next season, with Hughton hopefully ensuring a better stream of service to the strikers.

Norwich''s supposed interest in Kone drew a blank as soon as said player decreed he wished to move to Everton. What wasn''t expected was Redmond pretty much declaring the same, especially after the EDP reported an accepted bid from Norwich. If the fact that the player previously worked under Hughton didn''t give us an edge, then further disappointment can be expected.

That Toivonen appears to be dragging his heels may well be due to his holiday. However, previous interest from Sunderland, Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle would suggest that he may well be holding out for alternative offers....not a ringing endorsement for any enthusiasm to come to Carrow Road. His goal-scoring stats are more than encouraging, which begs the question why the four clubs named above didn''t pursue their interest.

Fer would appear to be a terrific acquisition, just a shame that we seem to be competing with Everton and Martinez for many of these players. Judging by the way he comes across when interviewed, and by the gushing praise showered on him by Kenwright, it would appear that Martinez could sell coal to Newcastle, and will be a formidable rival when competing for the signature of any of these players.

Hooper has to be worth a shout at £5m. Far less than we were originally quoted, it should be far easier for Hooper to settle in the Premiership than many of the foreign imports that are currently racing to these shores. He is clearly an instinctive goalscorer, and defences in the PL are proving more vulnerable year on year.

So as the week comes to an end there have been several departures, unwanted rumours surrounding two key players, snubs from a couple of potential targets, and nothing concrete surrounding the likes of Toivonen, Fer and Hooper.

Here''s hoping next week gets off to a positive start and Hughton starts to acquire some of his primary targets.[/quote]This post would have made more sense if you had said:The decision to allow Rudd to go on loan to Preston for a whole season became slightly more significant when a very few days later Steer refused a new contract and joined Aston Villa.

As much as Leeds are now seen as Norwich City''s ''feeder'' club, we surely cemented ourselves as Aston Villa''s ''feeder'' club when the total number of ex-Norwich City employers moving to Villa Park in the short space of a year

---------------------------------------------------------------------

please tell me that''s a joke?

when a manager goes, his backroom staff tend to go with him. to which extent of the staff goes depends on the manager and his new club. but obviously Lambert wanted most of his staff to join him. that combined with a keeper does not make us their feeder club.

you are just a troll.

that is all.

[quote user="unique"]As much as Leeds are now seen as Norwich City''s ''feeder'' club, we surely cemented ourselves as Aston Villa''s ''feeder'' club when the total number of ex-Norwich City employers moving to Villa Park in the short space of a year reached the unhealthy figure of seven. [/quote]

As I wrote in the "Lambert plunders" post:

........ there is a difference between the Leeds to Norwich association - Leeds are our feeder club - and the Norwich to AV association - AV are our "offload club"

Do all clubs have these types of fans, or is it a uniquely Norwich thing? With that level of negativity, just imagine what life must be like in the OP''s house.... Heaven forbid, should the papers be late!!

I hate to think what would happen if his soldiers didnt fit his dippy egg, it would be a conspiracy by the hens

How can we be sure that no signings have been made - some names have gone quiet, and some may have been decoys. CR has a habit of surprising us. I must admit that the various sleuths and their contacts seem to have found nothing, but we have to wait another 24 hours before we can definitively that there are no new signings yet.

Whilst the OP is clearly a glass half empty person (being kind), l share some of his concerns at the apparent lack of success in bringing further additions into the squad ahead of the return to training. However, I have seen a number of press articles commenting on how slow generally the market is at the moment. A number of Prem clubs are bedding in new managers who probably want to look at what they have in their squad first.

I actually think it is very encoraging that we are competing with the likes of Everton, Newcastle & even Liverpool for players as it shows we are looking to progress further rather than just merely survive.

Hopefully we will have some further arrivals this week to bsck the optimism of many on this forum.

Javier''s Deaf Translator-"As much as Leeds are now seen as Norwich City''s ''feeder'' club, we surely cemented ourselves as Aston Villa''s ''feeder'' club when the total number of ex-Norwich City employers moving to Villa Park in the short space of a year

-

please tell me that''s a joke?

when a manager goes, his backroom staff tend to go with him. to which extent of the staff goes depends on the manager and his new club. but obviously Lambert wanted most of his staff to join him. that combined with a keeper does not make us their feeder club.
"

The mind goes back to our real feeder club -Bournemouth - John Bond, Ken Brown, Jon Benson, Mel Machin, Tony Powell, Phil Boyer, Ted McDougall, Kevin Bond - off the top of my head.  Any others?   [:^)]

The fact that there has been no concrete news regarding signings does not make it a bad week. We can be certain that negotiations are ongoing and probably the coming week with see matters much clearer. If we do not have some of the touted signing by this time next week then yes I may be a bit concerned but it is still a long time until the start of the new season

Whilst an accurate summary of recent rumours and interesting conjecture, we dont really know the facts on most of these things, and a lot of this is simply journalists declaring rumour as fact.

I dont have any problems with posts like this, I still enjoyed the opinion and I dont think we need to be so defensive as posters and shoot people down for posts like this. I dont think its a negative post, just a comment on the last week.

I think think things will change come tomorrow. So much of the information is missing, and things cant really happen until the transfer window opens.

Things will start to happen tomorrow, and all this frustration and fumbling round in the dark for information will be a thing of the past.

Ill be surprised if we announce any signings tomorrow, but things will start to move, and this is potenitally the most exciting pre-season ever considering the financial position the club is in.

Exciting times ahead, have faith and be patient :D

What an absolute rubbish post.The transfer Window doesn''t even open till July 1st and we have already signed more players (RVW / Garrido) than most of the Premier League !!It''s only Liverpool and Villa who are doing a lot of business earlyJeeeeeees.... I really do wonder if people like Unique are actually Norwich fans.

It''s hardly surprising that Steer wants to move on, given that City have two young keepers competing for the third GK place and Villa do not. Similarly, the backroom 3 were all brought to City by PL, so it''s hardly surprising that they would follow him to Villa. Next week is the one that matters.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Thing that really annoys me is Unique has put quite a lot of effort into this post.Clearly some people thrive off negativityPathetic[/quote]It reads like a blog post that''s been chucked up here as a "testing the water" type activity.

Javier''s Deaf Translator-"As much as Leeds are now seen as Norwich City''s ''feeder'' club, we surely cemented ourselves as Aston Villa''s ''feeder'' club when the total number of ex-Norwich City employers moving to Villa Park in the short space of a year - please tell me that''s a joke? when a manager goes, his backroom staff tend to go with him. to which extent of the staff goes depends on the manager and his new club. but obviously Lambert wanted most of his staff to join him. that combined with a keeper does not make us their feeder club."

The mind goes back to our real feeder club -Bournemouth - John Bond, Ken Brown, Jon Benson, Mel Machin, Tony Powell, Phil Boyer, Ted McDougall, Kevin Bond - off the top of my head.  Any others?  

Spurs LDC - Bowen, Culverhouse, Polston, Crook, all in one generation of players. Not to mention Peters, Neighbour and McVeigh,

[quote user="Canary Willo"]Javier''s Deaf Translator-"As much as Leeds are now seen as Norwich City''s ''feeder'' club, we surely cemented ourselves as Aston Villa''s ''feeder'' club when the total number of ex-Norwich City employers moving to Villa Park in the short space of a year - please tell me that''s a joke? when a manager goes, his backroom staff tend to go with him. to which extent of the staff goes depends on the manager and his new club. but obviously Lambert wanted most of his staff to join him. that combined with a keeper does not make us their feeder club."

The mind goes back to our real feeder club -Bournemouth - John Bond, Ken Brown, Jon Benson, Mel Machin, Tony Powell, Phil Boyer, Ted McDougall, Kevin Bond - off the top of my head.  Any others?  

Spurs LDC - Bowen, Culverhouse, Polston, Crook, all in one generation of players. Not to mention Peters, Neighbour and McVeigh,[/quote]

+ Gary Brooke, Martin Chivers & Martin Peters - they played for Spurs & Norwich too.