Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Redmond v Ince

You say Redmond because he''s cheap? 2 goals and just 5 assists in 38 games in the championship isn''t exactly a good return is it?

Where the hell does Shelvey come into a straight-choice option of Ince v Redmond? Do you always move the goalposts like that??

Ince plays often as a striker, Redmond doesn''t so those stats aren''t really a fair comparison. Both players are u-21 internationals, so both are obviously good. I would go for Redmond, partly on price as we have other pressing spots to fill. Simple.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Where the hell does Shelvey come into a straight-choice option of Ince v Redmond? Do you always move the goalposts like that??

Ince plays often as a striker, Redmond doesn''t so those stats aren''t really a fair comparison. Both players are u-21 internationals, so both are obviously good. I would go for Redmond, partly on price as we have other pressing spots to fill. Simple.[/quote]

Because its been rumoured and reported that we were interested in paying 8 million for Shelvey. Which in my eyes is a lot of money for a player like that. Ince''s price might be 8 million but going on last seasons stats he is by far the superior player over Redmond!

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]All of Ince''s goals and assists in the Championship came from the left wing last season.[/quote]

Thank you Joanna. I make my point, that Ince would be a far better purchase going on last seasons stats!

Redmond may well turn out to be a good prospect but at the moment too many on this Forum are bumming him up to be something he patently is not or certainly "not yet".What we need is somebody to give competion to Pilkington "now", not a raw kid who might get thrown into the Premier League while still out of his depth.We can afford to pay for it now so lets get some proven quality and forget about chucking a couple of million away on what would only be a speculative gamble.

I''d love to see either or both here. I think Ince is by far the better player at the moment but Redmond has a lot of potential and perhaps offers better value for money.

[quote user="ricardo"]Redmond may well turn out to be a good prospect but at the moment too many on this Forum are bumming him up [/quote]Now, that''s how rumours start!

I don''t agree Re: Ince, he plays a far more attacking role than ''straight'' winger, at least he certainly was more like a striker on the three times I saw him last season!

So you are saying Ince, dumped by Liverpool and hasn''t played in the PL, is not a gamble at £8m+, but Redmond is too much of one at less than a third of the price, and with both us and Swansea wanting him? Ok.

Agree with Ricardo, Redmond by no means certain to be a starter and that what we need , same applies to Bridcutt who we have been linked with . Was hoping RVW was the first of a few major upgrades this summer but the names being mentioned are very ordinary to say the least , heres hoping there are a few surprises to come .

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]All of Ince''s goals and assists in the Championship came from the left wing last season.[/quote]

Sorry but that''s cock. Penalties???

I don''t trust assist stats, just because you happen to have the last touch before the guy who scores doesn''t necessarily mean you created it.

Also Redmond only started about half of his 38 games while Ince started pretty much all of them. I''m not saying Redmond is as good as Ince, but those stats are a bit misleading.

For me on value Redmond is the clear winner. at 2.5m Redmond is a bargain, at 8m you are paying top whack for Ince.

[quote user="ricardo"]Redmond may well turn out to be a good prospect but at the moment too many on this Forum are bumming him up to be something he patently is not or certainly "not yet".What we need is somebody to give competion to Pilkington "now", not a raw kid who might get thrown into the Premier League while still out of his depth.We can afford to pay for it now so lets get some proven quality and forget about chucking a couple of million away on what would only be a speculative gamble.[/quote]

That is questionable. We may well be able to afford £8m for Ince, if that is the asking price, or a figure close to that for another high-class winger. But the chances are that would then have to be our other major signing, along with RVW. I don''t believe I am alone in thinking that if there can only be one expensive signing it would more usefully be in central midfield or up front.I haven''t seen either play, but Ince sounds better, but then that is why his valuation is three or four times as much as Redmond''s. For us it is still a question of prioritising. We cannot afford everybody we would want in an ideal world. And I suspect the argument is not whether Redmond is better than Pilkington now, but that he might well be in a couple of years'' time, and also that he is at least as good as Elliott Bennett now and almost certainly better soon.

I think Redmond has got a higher ceiling (more potential) than Ince, but at the moment there can be no doubting Ince is the better player

8 million is a massive risk for a player that''s only performed in the championship. When you look at snodgrass at 3 and pilkington at 2 you''ve got to think that''s alot for ince.

Capel/van ginkel may well be out of our grasp/league but they are demanding estimated figures of around that, would much rather we take a punt in that type of player instead of ince.

Redmond is a good shout for the money and well worth the gamble!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I don''t believe I am alone in thinking that if there can only be one expensive signing it would more usefully be in central midfield or up front.[/quote]Agreed [y]

I believe age is a big factor especially when we are talking about teenagers and players in their very early 20''s.

I do recall that when Ince was Redmond''s age and a little older he was struggling massively, so much so that Blackpool were seriously considering getting rid of him or not renewing his contract (can''t remember which).

Redmond is only just 19, barely older than some of our FA youth cup winners and he is playing regularly in the Championship and still attracting plaudits.

I know we need to strengthen the first 11, but I personally would sign Redmond all day long at £2.5m.  I do believe that he would feature in some games as a sub in the league and in cup games and I think he would get better playing with quality players. 

I don''t actually think Hughton has anything against playing young players.  Where I think his concerns come is where you can see a young player is good, has potential, but where Hughton feels that despite this he is not ready for the first team.

I honestly believe if we signed Redmond he would get games and that it would be £2.5m very well spent.

Young, talented, exciting he would strengthen the squad, even at the expense of someone like Surman, but he wouldn''t even need to replace one of the 25, because he is only just 19.

I agree with the sentiment of others on here - he''s an investment. May not push for a place to begin with, but with coaching and some game time he may well keep the likes of Snoddy and Pilks firing on all cylinders, and that''s what we need.

Being dumped by someone does not mean Jack if you go out and prove yourself as Ince has in basically a poor side, Ince by a country mile for me.