Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Scott Sinclair on loan?

Quite a lot of talk of Scott Sinclair being available on loan with West Brom and Espanyol being talked about.

I know that Norwich fans aren''t big fans of loans, but a player of this quality surely has to be an exception?

Would be a great acquisition, could potentially stick a clause in like £10m and he is ours at the end of the year? You never know, only a cup final away from Europe and players like this might be within our reach.

The question is whether we need him, would almost certainly mean Bennett out on loan or even sold I guess, but a great player for Redmond to learn from?

Nope. He''ll be on stupid money. and with Snoddy getting better, why would Redmond come here and be placed a further step away from the 1st team?

Redmond has the capacity to be in the matchday squad already.

Sinclair played well for Swansea, is a decent player on his day, but hasn''t shown any form for over a year (because he basically hasn''t played).

Never said anything about paying all of his wages, doubt West Brom will be. Can remember Man City still paying Craig Bellamy £55k a week when Cardiff were paying him £25k.

Think I remember reading his wages at City are around the £40k mark.

Not sure what his fitness is like currently. Last I heard he was unable to play/train as he''s taking blood thinners for a clotting issue.

crabbycanary.... Pilkington/Sinclair left wing, Snodgrass/Redmond right wing, Elliott Bennett out on loan or groomed for the second striker role where he has impressed on occasion.

I was reading your post like Redmond would be Sinclair''s understudy, hence my reply. If Redmond was to learn from anybody, it would be Snodgrass, who is more ''current'' in playing terms, but even then, I see Redmond as a slightly different player than anything we currently have.

Can see Redmond being used as an impact player and agree with Crabby, very different in style to both Pilks and Snodgrass, very direct, pacy and would really give us different dimension when games get stretched after 90 minutes.

If Toivonen signs, and maybe Hooper, who knows, it certainly gives us a lot of options, Hughton was at pains to point out that RVW can also play as a number 10 role, maybe 2 up with him off Hooper, Toivonen off RVW.

Also throw in Fer who is a typical box to box and you really see a whole new structure to our attack next season. Also, Pilks, Snodgrass, Johnson, Tettey Howson will have to perform at their optimum as competition will be fierce for places.

I know that some will disagree, but for me Tettey is the weakest link and the most likely to lose his place. Not going to write him off but his passing is average at best and terrible at worst, got plenty of energy but really needs to work on his game. Lot''s of people criticise Johnson for his passing but he''s above Tettey in my opinion. If Fer arrives I''ll see him as an upgrade on Tettey.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]I know that some will disagree, but for me Tettey is the weakest link and the most likely to lose his place.[/quote]I''ll certainly disagree with that.For me Tettey offers everything that Johnson does, but is a much better passer of the ball (and this is backed up statistically as well), and offers a more genuine attacking threat rather than putting endless shots into Row Z...If Fer arrives then I''ll see him as an massive upgrade on Johnson.

Totally agree Tettey has real limitations, probably shown up more as passing is not one of Howson''s strengths either, but better than Tettey.

Fer appears a box to box player, maybe even better suited with Howson next to him if he is an aggressive player, although I like Howson attacking he can pass well from deep and if they work as a pair and make alternate forays forward may be this is the way forward, with the options of a 2, RVW/Hooper/Holt/Toivonen or 1 in the hole, RVW/Hoolahan/Toivonen.

Whatever way, we will be more attack minded just by these players being here. Still think we need a left back and maybe a Centre Half, as if you lose 2 from Bassong/Turner/Bennett, not sure there is enough quality to now match rest of the team..

The issue is that both Johnson and Howson prefer the LCM position, with Fer playing RCM and being (if we got him) a fantastic all-rounder we could afford to play either Johnson or Howson depending on the opposition.

I''m yet to be convinced by Sinclair.

He is a good player on the ball, but I feel he is a bit easy to push off it and his defensive game isn''t the best.

On top of that he has effectively had a season out because he went to Man City where he must have known he''d struggle for a place. I would be concerned with that to be honest.

He also isn''t really a midfielder. He is a striker that has been played out wide at Swansea where their wingers have been encouraged to join the attack when they have the ball, often going from a 4-5-1 to a 4-3-3 when in possession.

Plus if he was available I would wonder if Rodgers would go for him at Liverpool. It''s not like they are blessed with tons of wingers and attackers - especially if Shelvey is loaned out or sold.

I know that my view on Tettey isn''t the popularist view, but I just don''t think the man is any more than a decent squad player at this level.

Really can''t see how Tettey can be considered an attacking threat. He has pace and is quick on the counter but more often than not he''ll run 40 yards with the ball and then play a sunday league pass to Snodgrass which ends up 5 metres behind him.

He got a grand total of zero assists and one goal in the cup in 31 appearances. Not saying that Johnson offers anything going forward either, he doesn''t, centre midfield is an area that we desperately need to improve, either with a player who can spray the ball about or at least one who can chip in with goals and a few through balls to Van Wolfswinkel.

Tettey and Johnson are sufficient at sitting in front of the defence and soaking up some pressure, but Johnson is better at that job in my opinion, no room for both of them on the pitch at the same time.

It''s not that popular because it doesn''t really consider much.

Tettey is more of a defensive player. A bit like a better Gary Holt. You need players like him in some games for their energy, strength and their ability to disrupt the opposition play and rhythm.

That alone makes him a very valuable player. I wouldn''t say he was a weak link either. I would say that playing both him and Johnson proved to be a weak link at times as it force two players for whom playmaking is not their ideal role, to try and create. Tettey is certainly not the best of the two for that as Johnson has been played on the wing previously in his career.

From what I have seen and heard of Fer - he is not direct competition. He''s more of a much better Damien Francis. So essentially another option altogether.

It''s possible you would see him alongside Johnson/Tettey rather than playing instead of them.

If Redmond comes, as seems likely, why would we need yet another winger? We would have four in a squad of 25, unless Redmond doesn''t count because of his age. I can see that "parking" Bennett on loan for a year could give him regular football and confidence, but how much longer does he have on his contract?

We shall struggle to give all the wingers regular full-match appearances, and while Sinclair is/was a good winger I am not sure what he would add except pace. If, because of his alleged superiority, he plays every game (in place of Snoddy, with loss of set-piece excellence, or in place of Pilks) what would we gain?

RVW said we would be bringing in two wingers, even though that statement was retracted by the Club I am still convinced we are after two. Redmond adds pace, something that I think our other target will have as well.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="TheNewBoy"]I know that some will disagree, but for me Tettey is the weakest link and the most likely to lose his place.[/quote]I''ll certainly disagree with that.For me Tettey offers everything that Johnson does, but is a much better passer of the ball (and this is backed up statistically as well), and offers a more genuine attacking threat rather than putting endless shots into Row Z...If Fer arrives then I''ll see him as an massive upgrade on Johnson.[/quote]

Doesn''t matter if ''stats'' back it up, who was still first choice in last couple months of season? Which player based on appearances does the manager rate more?

And Johnson hasn''t been blasting shots into row Z for ages, yet people still use that against him. Because some people would rather keep an outdated opinion because they like another player more.

And Tettey isn''t a ''much better'' passer, both are average to poor passers. Johnson has a much better forward pass (he actually players the ball into space for the winger/striker, doesn''t always work, but something Tettey doesn''t do) and as for attacking threat, I may have just forgotten, but when was the last time Tettey did anything going forward?

As I stated just after the end of the season, there is a squad of around 17 ''secure'' players. As in players who have been in or around our first team last season and that we know can perform in the premiership on a consistent and reliable basis and that we can reliably predict will be part of the squad for next season.

GK: Ruddy, Bunn (2).

DF: Whittaker, R.Martin, Turner, Bassong, R.Bennett, Garrido.(6).

MF: Hoolahan, Snodgrass, Howson, Tettey, Johnson, Pilkington.(6)

STR: Holt, Becchio, RVW.(3).

That leaves the following: Butterfield, Vaughan, Fox, Surman, Barnett, Ayala and E.Bennett.

As I have said before - I''m not saying that all of these will go, or that I think they should go, just for me - these would be the most likely to make way for other players if necessary.

Part of me thinks we will keep one of Ayala or Barnett and I would go for the former due to his age. We don''t need to lose all of those players either. But if we need to make space that is where I would see it happening.

And as we are currently at 24 squad members we will need to be losing numbers from somewhere should we bring in any more than one over 21 players.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]Really can''t see how Tettey can be considered an attacking threat. He has pace and is quick on the counter but more often than not he''ll run 40 yards with the ball and then play a sunday league pass to Snodgrass which ends up 5 metres behind him.

He got a grand total of zero assists and one goal in the cup in 31 appearances. Not saying that Johnson offers anything going forward either, he doesn''t, centre midfield is an area that we desperately need to improve, either with a player who can spray the ball about or at least one who can chip in with goals and a few through balls to Van Wolfswinkel.

Tettey and Johnson are sufficient at sitting in front of the defence and soaking up some pressure, but Johnson is better at that job in my opinion, no room for both of them on the pitch at the same time.[/quote]

NewBoy - it was actually Tettey''s shot that was parried by the Arsenal goalkeeper that led to Holt''s goal in that win.

So the "assists" column rocket''s up one more !  

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="TheNewBoy"]I know that some will disagree, but for me Tettey is the weakest link and the most likely to lose his place.[/quote]
I''ll certainly disagree with that.

For me Tettey offers everything that Johnson does, but is a much better passer of the ball (and this is backed up statistically as well), and offers a more genuine attacking threat rather than putting endless shots into Row Z...

If Fer arrives then I''ll see him as an massive upgrade on Johnson.
[/quote]

Tettey has a better pass completion rate, but when comparing his percentage of pass completion in the final third of the pitch it is much worse than Johnson. Also Tettey causes more turnovers per game than Johnson did.

However, Tettey was carrying an injury for a large part of the second half of the season - the same injury than meant he had very little game time at Rennes in the previous season. In his first games for Norwich he was incredibly dynamic and operated box-to-box very effectively (the Arsenal game was probably the best example of this), in the second half of the season his fitness was obviously a problem and he could cover as much ground - hopefully with a good pre-season he can finally shake the problems in his dodgey knee and give performances across the entire season.

Fer is a very similar style of player to Tettey, but is an upgrade on any of Norwich''s central midfielders. Will be interesting to see which players line up for Norwich in midfield for the Everton game - if Norwich get all their current targets I imagine it will be Fer and Johnson playing behind Toivonen.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]RVW said we would be bringing in two wingers, even though that statement was retracted by the Club I am still convinced we are after two. Redmond adds pace, something that I think our other target will have as well.[/quote]

Crikey Joanna,

I don''t know what Hughton promised RVW to entice him to join. But I don''t think it''s just he can play every game - it looks like he promised that he can run the club as well !