Sign in to follow this  
RvWs 4 year contract

Redmond has signed.

[quote user="ricardo"]We really need a starter. I don''t see Redmond being that person.Maybe one for the future but I''m slightly underwhelmed.[/quote]Bit surprised Ricardo. We''re used to selling young, tricky, fast wingers (bellars, Eadie etc), not buying them.

[quote user="ricardo"]We really need a starter. I don''t see Redmond being that person.

Maybe one for the future but I''m slightly underwhelmed.
[/quote]

If (big if) Norwich can sign Fer and Toivonen, those will be the ''stars''.  A backbone of Ruddy, Bassong, Fer, Toivonen and RvW would be incredible for Norwich.

Redmond will be mainly used as a sub off the bench to add pace into games when needed.

[quote user="star_manic"]I am wondering if this could see the departure of Pilks. Stoke were reportedly ready to pay £5m for him.[/quote]

No.

First off, he''s better than Redmond. Secondly if Pilks leave we need to sign another, better than him winger. If any of our wingers leave, it''ll be Bennett. But i''d expect him to stay until at least Jan, if he''s not played much could see him wanting to leave as he could easily be starting for a top Champ club and probably a couple of lower PL sides.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="ricardo"]We really need a starter. I don''t see Redmond being that person.Maybe one for the future but I''m slightly underwhelmed.[/quote]

If (big if) Norwich can sign Fer and Toivonen, those will be the ''stars''.  A backbone of Ruddy, Bassong, Fer, Toivonen and RvW would be incredible for Norwich.

Redmond will be mainly used as a sub off the bench to add pace into games when needed.

[/quote]

Quite, Bethnal. If a comparitively cheap Redmond leaves us money to spend on those potentially expensive signings (or similar) then it is a very clever piece of business.

Can not understand why there would be any negativity around this dealThe lads got bags of talent, ability, pace and Potential, as much as Ince and Zaha for me.For such a young lad he''s quite experienced, 60 first team appearances as well as playing at International level.Absolute snip at 3 Million, and doesnt count towards the 25 man.His chances will be limited with having Pilks and Snoddy, so I guess he''ll be comping at the bit to take his chance!

Definitely one for the future, for 3 million you''d bite their hands off!

[quote user="star_manic"]I am wondering if this could see the departure of Pilks. Stoke were reportedly ready to pay £5m for him.[/quote]

No, he is competition for Pilks, not a replacement. 

I thought Redmond was a right winger? He isn''t competition for the left wing is he?

He can play on both wings but plays on the left more often.  Sames applies to Pilks though, and Bennett and Snoddy, they can all play on both flanks but we ideally want 2 players in every positions.

He can play either side or in the middle. This from his Wiki site:

"He typically plays as a wide midfielder. He is right-footed, but has regularly played on both right and left wings, often cutting inside. He has also occasionally played in the centre behind a lone striker."

Gret signing, IMO.

Very very happy with is if confirmed, one of England''s most promising talents and will only get better. Stood out in the under 21''s and very highly regarded by brum fans. Could be another huckerby in the making hopefully!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="ricardo"]We really need a starter. I don''t see Redmond being that person.Maybe one for the future but I''m slightly underwhelmed.[/quote]

[/quote]

Quite, Bethnal. If a comparitively cheap Redmond leaves us money to spend on those potentially expensive signings (or similar) then it is a very clever piece of business.

[/quote]
Agree with both your comments Bethnal and Purple.
He will probably not be a starter but will give strong competition to our other wide players.
We need to remember though that he is young and still learning his craft, so a bit of patience will be needed from us supporters as he is likely to twist and turn his way into a few blind alleys.
I hope we are not jumping the gun here, do we know for certain that this is done business?
OTBC

This is actually a very Lambert-like signing. With Lambert having been in for wingers this season (signed two), I wonder whether he was in for him. Especially with Redmond living on his doorstep.

Though I am very happy about Redmond, after all the weeks waiting and wondering, I can understand Ricardo feeling underwelmed about the lack of a big name signing. With RvW signed and if Redmond comes, the critical signing in AM/ACM still isn''t there. IMO, that doesn''t take anything away from Redmond, just that the most important signing doesn''t look to be on the horizon yet.

With RVW officialy here, and now this (I won''t believe it til it''s confirmed by the club) and Hughton''s "alot happening behind the scenes" - the window is well and truly open and I''m excited!

I agree that central midfield is the area we still need to strengthen. Fer or Ola should help.

I still maintain that had Holty stayed central more often last year and with the right service he''d have scored more....

8 goals isnt bad though.

Redmond won''t be the only player we sign, judge the signings at the end of the window, REdmond would definitely be one for the future

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]LOL;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2083805/Chris-Hughton-urges-Nathan-Redmond-stay-Birmingham.html[/quote]Ha!

And expect the deal to be announced tomorrow;

Matt Slater ‏@mattslaterbbc 17h

@colintattum he''s shares an agent with famous cyclist. That agent has flown back 2 UK 2 close deal. Will be back at TdF on Weds

Cant be right!Only last Thursday, highly regarded and reliable sportswriter James nursey told us in the Mirror.......

"Nathan Redmond has told Birmingham he wants to go to Everton.The cash-strapped Championship club are poised to sell winger Redmond

off next, after shifting keeper Jack Butland to Stoke in January for

£4million and defender Curtis Davies to Hull earlier this week for a fee

believed to be around £2m-£3m, to raise funds.

Both Norwich and Swansea have agreed a £2m fee with Blues for the talented England Under-21 international.

But Redmond, 19, is holding out for a switch to join Roberto Martinez as he reshapes the Goodison Park club after succeeding David Moyes.

Swansea are his second choice, with Norwich - managed by ex-Birmingham boss Chris Hughton - his third option."

Yep, we can always rely on good ole James. [:D]

"Sky sources" reporting swansea have put a bid in for ince. Looks like redmond''s ours, unless swansea are just greedy;)

[quote user="lappinitup"]Cant be right!

Only last Thursday, highly regarded and reliable sportswriter James nursey told us in the Mirror.......

"Nathan Redmond has told Birmingham he wants to go to Everton.

The cash-strapped Championship club are poised to sell winger Redmond off next, after shifting keeper Jack Butland to Stoke in January for £4million and defender Curtis Davies to Hull earlier this week for a fee believed to be around £2m-£3m, to raise funds.

Both Norwich and Swansea have agreed a £2m fee with Blues for the talented England Under-21 international.

But Redmond, 19, is holding out for a switch to join Roberto Martinez as he reshapes the Goodison Park club after succeeding David Moyes.

Swansea are his second choice, with Norwich - managed by ex-Birmingham boss Chris Hughton - his third option."

Yep, we can always rely on good ole James. [:D]

[/quote]

Does rather put a dampner on City Fan Nursey who , Midlands based, was perfectly connected to get this one right.

1. revealed April 3 Hughton wanted Redmond Recently the lad fancied but Hughton talked him round

2. yeah Redmond is heading over to Norfolk today for medical/talks etc

3. Chris Hughton has talked Nathan Redmond into joining & he''s off there today. Good signing. Big potential I reckon

Well that went wrong....James Nursey ‏@JamesNursey 7h@DumbleDelia revealed April 3 Hughton wanted Redmond http://bit.ly/10xVIOY  Recently the lad fancied #EFC but Hughton talked him roundView summary    Reply    Retweet    FavoriteJames Nursey James Nursey ‏@JamesNursey 7h@KevinRoon6 yeah Redmond is heading over to Norfolk today for medical/talks etcView conversationJames Nursey James Nursey ‏@JamesNursey 7h@MirrorFootball Chris Hughton has talked Nathan Redmond into joining #NCFC & he''s off there today. Good signing. Big potential I reckonExpand

Nursey is showing that he possibly has some link at Brum, but got things badly wrong last week when placing us third choice (of two!) for young Redmond.

Remember seeing this lad in the Europa League when Hughton was in charge of Brum and thinking then that he reminded me of Huckerby in his early days, or of Robbie Keane when he was still a Wolves youngster.  Hope he signs - think there''s a lot to come from him if his head''s right.

If ever there''s a player who need to get in the Premiership at a sensible level to develop it''s him.  Makes more sense for him to come to us than do what Zaha is doing, or Sinclair has done with Man C. 

Pilks has had trouble with injuries, some players just do.  So Redmond as an alternative would be a great move.

The Murphy twins might not be too impressed if he does sign, but maybe they will  get out on loan for a while rather than hanging around forlornly on the sidelines hoping for a meaningful game here and there.