Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

Morison back to Millwall

Their fans leveled exactly the same accusations at him as ours did "lazy", "disinterested", "slow", "can''t be bothered".

Have to wonder whether the man has just fallen out of love with football, perhaps a return to Millwall will give him a new lease of life. He has been talking publicly about becoming a greyhound trainer and already lives on a farm, I just sense that he wants out of football.

He has all his life to train greyhounds though and only a few years to cement a lower league football legacy, so I hope he pulls his finger out of his backside and scores a few goals. Met him several times and quite liked him, wish him well, but a frustrating footballer.

I don''t think he is a terrible player, has already shown that he can score goals in the Championship. I think his problem is hunger and desire, or rather his lack of it.

It really does seem to be a case of ability being hampered by attitude.Think we did the right thing getting rid when we did, just a shame Becchio hasn''t been given the same chances so far that Moro managed to throw away...

Scored some important goals for us, and more importantly made Holt up his game to reclaim #1 spot.  Don''t get the hate for him really, and never have.  Hope he does well back at Millwall. 

City fans didn''t like him because he wasn''t Holt.

Leeds fans didn''t like him because he wasn''t Becchio.

If you were constantly getting grief from your own fans would you put in a 100% for them?

I echo Chops''s point. Good luck to him.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]I just sense that he wants out of football. [/quote]nothing to stop him.. hand in his months notice or whatever and work it out.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]I just sense that he wants out of football. [/quote]nothing to stop him.. hand in his months notice or whatever and work it out.

Alright heard ya the first time!

Although I doubt it would quite that easy if a player has had a fee paid for him and a signing on fee.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]Alright heard ya the first time!

Although I doubt it would quite that easy if a player has had a fee paid for him and a signing on fee.[/quote]not sure what happened with the posts above!!!if he wants out i am sure he can buy his way out. they do it in the armed forces.

"if he wants out i am sure he can buy his way out. they do it in the armed forces."

I''m sorry what?

There’s a quite a bit about Steve Morison in Michael Calvin’s brilliant book called Family, Life Death and Football. It’s about the season 2009/10 when City were in League 1 and Millwall won the play-off final.

I’ve paraphrased a few lines from he chapter called “Scapegoat to Saviour, from around November in the season.

1 From the author: “Morison, his pet project, needed a reality check, was losing respect within the dressing room”

2 Kenny Jackett “He’s built like a brick shithouse, quick, strong fit but in too many games he doesn’t play his weight. He needs to use his physical attributes”

3 Kenny Jackett comparing him to Neil Harris, “It was an attitude of mind. If he throws his weight around fans will give him more of a chance”

4 Morison, “Even though I’m big, I don’t feel big but I’m starting to feel I’m a presence. On the pitch you have to be someone you’re not”

5 From the author: “He was growing into himself and was beginning to make those to judged him early change their minds”

My impression of Morison from the chapter; he was a quieter character maybe slow to adjust to higher club. He probably had the same sort of issues at City about moving on up in standard. I think we’ve see all of 2-5 at Norwich in the year he was here. (I’ve no idea about 1)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Death-Football-Frontline-Proper/dp/1906850267

Just to put another some facts into the Morison situation. I did post this info. on here once before but before he moved to Leeds my friend turned up at Morisons house (Dereham i think it was, lived in a converted barn with his mum) as my friend works for a national car window replacement company he was there to do some work on Morisons motor. At the time, Morison was then off to training which left my mate talking to Morisons mum the whole time he was there. basically, the facts she stated at that time were that he hated the NCFC fans turning on him, booing him and mocking him during games, he regualry visted this MB to see what people were saying and the whole thing esculated and completely effected his game. He is a player that needs support and wants to be loved.......As Norwich fans i don''t think we gave him that support at the start of his decline in form for us....as always, Norwich fans can be a disgruntled, bullying bunch and find it easier to dislike a player in poor form than to actually get behind him. This has happened with many players down the years. Another thing his mum stated was his love for London and how he so desperatley missed his life and friends there. A move back to Millwall was what he wanted and there was also interest from Charlton but the Leeds move was the only one that materalised which worked for Norwich, taking Morison further from his London routes. So it doesn''t surprise me to see him back at Millwall now, where i think familiar surroundings and back with supporters who will get behind him will give him the energy, hunger and desire to find his passion and love for football again. Not a bad player at all Steve Morison, and i wish you well back at Millwall. I have no doubt you will bang the goals in again next season. Good luck.

It makes me laugh how some people on here (and in ''the stands'') can have a strong pop at players, when they haven''t been in the same situations, knowing how to deal with the variables etc that effect a scenario.

Players are put on a pedestal , and are the great British habit of focusing on the negatives and conveniently forgetting the positives, comes to the fore. It can end up with a ''Morison'' episode, as, believe it or not, they are human, and can have the same emotions as the rest of us mere mortals

I think this is a sad case. He came late the league football and after a couple of good seasons at Millwall we gave him a chance and that first season he looked a good buy. From last season onwards he has gone downhill fast and to be off loaded by Leeds so quickly is a bad sign for him

Just seen, on Twitter, a numbnut who has admitted ''abusing'' (his word) pro footballer (Elliot Bennett amongst them) and taking great joy when they ''bite''

This isn''t a case against twitter, that is for another day, but an example of  the ''common'' man and footballers, and needing to get a perspective  

Was a fan and felt he was ridiculously ridiculed. Was really looking forward to him and Vaughan as a strike force, proved his quality the first season in the prem and certainly in the 3-3 at arsenal converting a tough chance that sj had missed earlier.

Technically a better player than sj, certainly will have a career in the championship a great football story and I for one believe his goals helped us get into that position before Xmas where then holty gained form.

A better player than sj for me and I certainly was a supporter of a striker who scored 10 goals in his first season in theorem, holty rightly got the accolades, but Morison did not get them. I want him to do well.

I always remember Mersin saying he didn''t want a a striking term full of running and scrapping you want quality. In that game against arsenal Morison proved he had it over sj and for most of the season holty. I agree I rather a striker who will score and be in the right place rather than scrapping and running around.

Good luck back at millwall and I hope his professional career continues as it is a great story.

Contrary to what some posters say on here I think he is a good footballer. He does have some obvious weaknesses. His close control in particular can let him down. He spurned good goal scoring opportunities at Man City and Chelsea as a result. But he has a lot of ingredients to make him very effective. He is strong, powerful and capable of the spectacular (Blackburn last year). For those reasons he was better equipped on paper to play the lone centre forward role than Holt. Something even Holt conceded when he was out of the side under Lambert. Holt in particular saying that Morison had greater mobility than him.

Obviously things haven''t worked out for him since then. He hasn''t played at anywhere near his potential level now for about 18 months. Some will class that as bad attitude and some will say maybe it is misfortune. But for some reason in football certain clubs just click for certain players. Neil Harris is an example of a player who scored bucket loads for Millwall and was indifferent everywhere else. It could be a similar case for Steve as well as returning to an area where he is from and feels settled. 

I hope it works out for Steve. It was right time for him to move on in January but he did play an important role in helping the club stay up. In that September - December 2011 run of games when Holty wasn''t quite at the level he could have been physically, Steve led the line really well and made some very big contributions. I will watched with interest to see if he can replicate what he is capable of at Millwall.   

[quote user="Monty13"]"if he wants out i am sure he can buy his way out. they do it in the armed forces."

I''m sorry what?[/quote]Prince Andrew bought himself out of the Navy...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Monty13"]"if he wants out i am sure he can buy his way out. they do it in the armed forces."

I''m sorry what?[/quote]Prince Andrew bought himself out of the Navy...

[/quote]How much did the Navy sign him for from the Royal Family?

I don''t care either way for Andrew, but I''m pretty sure he didn''t, unless you can direct me to any evidence. Whether you like the guy or not he did serve 22 years working in the armed forces and flew during the Falklands, he gets my respect for that.

There are a few very specific criteria you can leave the forces early without completing your 1 year notice or any outstanding return of service, and buying your way out isn''t one of them.

I''ve seen very rich people in the services and people from very poor backgrounds but they all do the same job, for the same pay in the same conditions. There isn''t an option for the rich to buy themselves out if they don''t like it.

[quote user="Robert911"]How in the world has a Post on Morrison turned into a discussion on Prince Andrew and the Navy? [/quote]

Could only happen on here.

Good luck morro, top geezer i reckon atb for the future.

I apprciate what he did in that first season for us, no one knows why he suffered 2nd season syndrome only the man himself but a few bad performances in the top league in the world doesnt make him a bad player overnight.

I''m surprised he didn''t do better at Leeds.

Reminds me a bit of what they say about Brian Clough - he and Taylor would bring in players who were talented but for some reason weren''t performing to their potential, e.g. off the pitch "issues".  They''d give them support and were able to turn a team full of players like that into European Cup winners.

Last season Morison was our best striker up to New Year, under Lambert he played as sole striker more than Holt for that period, and he was scoring regularly.  Something then went wrong, he looked out of sorts whenever he came on and he stopped scoring, some fans got on his back which obviously made it worse (although many fans went out their way to be supportive - he''d always have people chanting his name when he came on at away games although I can''t say for home games as I mainly go to away games).  And that was it, clearly the move to Leeds hasn''t improved things, and from the quotes above it sounds like he won''t improve until he''s back with a manager who can get the best out of him.

A talented striker, just look at the goals he scored for us, a shame that it looks like he''s going to waste.