Just wanted to say how pleased I am the club decided to go with them when our deal with Xara expired. I like us having bespoke kits (again we had it with Xara as well, but in a poorer quality). Whilst our colours always make us unique in English Football, I really hate the fact that the ''big'' manufacturers (Nike, Adidas, Umbro) will only give bespoke designs to the biggest clubs and leave the rest to choose one of their templates. Some of the new Adidas templates are simply hideous. I have just been looking at pics online of the new Southampton kit and it could be Bristol City or Swindon (what happened to their stripes??). So pleased we have a great kit designed specifically for us - looking forward to what the new away will look like.

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"]Just wanted to say how pleased I am the club decided to go with them when our deal with Xara expired. I like us having bespoke kits (again we had it with Xara as well, but in a poorer quality). Whilst our colours always make us unique in English Football, I really hate the fact that the ''big'' manufacturers (Nike, Adidas, Umbro) will only give bespoke designs to the biggest clubs and leave the rest to choose one of their templates. Some of the new Adidas templates are simply hideous. I have just been looking at pics online of the new Southampton kit and it could be Bristol City or Swindon (what happened to their stripes??). So pleased we have a great kit designed specifically for us - looking forward to what the new away will look like.

[/quote]Oops, should have said PUMA not Umbro - I really liked Umbros kit designs over the last few years (and they would produce some unique designs for smaller clubs). But Nike decided to kill them off

Just realised that this will be the 5th season of sponsorship by that company I can''t remember the name of, something about fire insurance. It''s good to have their vote of confidence for so long, and a stable name on the shirt. Viva Norwich!

If we truly wanted bespoke designs from the likes of Nike and Adidas we could get them - at a price.I''m still not overly struck on the new shirt (and have seen some that look MUCH better on the kit design thread), but I''m guessing that a lot of that came down to the creative instructions Errea were given, rather than them not having particularly great designers...

I''ve always wondered just why the club needs to have a kit manufacturer. Surely they could just design the kit themselves, fly to China, and get a factory to make them without a middle man.

"but I''m guessing that a lot of that came down to the creative

instructions Errea were given, rather than them not having particularly

great designers..."

that being that the shirt is so different looking to the previous one so as to ensure that all other replica shirts are therefore ''so last year'' ie redundant

Because there''s more to it than just simply drawing a kit design. It''s almost in the same bracket as architechture when it comes to a multi million pound professional sports team. Each thread will be scrutinised.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]If we truly wanted bespoke designs from the likes of Nike and Adidas we could get them - at a price.

I''m still not overly struck on the new shirt (and have seen some that look MUCH better on the kit design thread), but I''m guessing that a lot of that came down to the creative instructions Errea were given, rather than them not having particularly great designers...
[/quote]

I think it is more down to costs, fancy designs using lots of stripes or colour blends ultimately cost more to produce (as there are more shirts with errors or the production time is longer). Norwich probably don''t sell 50k shirts a season, profit margin for Errea will be tight already.

Why is there more to it than drawing a kit design? Bruce Oldfield designed one, can''t be rocket science for an experienced designer.

What else do Errea do? The club make the promotional video, take all the orders, fulfill the orders, do the press releases. All they do is design the kit, have it made in their factory, and then sell them to the club at a probably substantial markup.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]Why is there more to it than drawing a kit design? Bruce Oldfield designed one, can''t be rocket science for an experienced designer. What else do Errea do? The club make the promotional video, take all the orders, fulfill the orders, do the press releases. All they do is design the kit, have it made in their factory, and then sell them to the club at a probably substantial markup.[/quote]

It''s far cheaper for Errea to produce the kits due to economies of scale - they have access to the knowledge, materials and means of production hence can do it for a fraction of the price Norwich City could.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale

That was rather condescending, I didn''t require a link to understanding the principle of economies of scale.

The Errea factory is in Italy. In Italy the cost of labour far exceeds that of the typical wage in China. China is the global textiles centre now, and the cheapest place to buy textiles is China. It is likely that Errea buy their material from China and assemble kits in Italy.

They then sell the completed kits to our club with a mark up sufficient to generate their business a profit.

There is just no chance whatsoever that a factory in Northern Italy would be able to beat Chinese prices for textiles.

I wonder how much the deal is worth to the club. Some of the top clubs have just negotiated massive deals with suppliers for using their kit. Gets around f.f.p.rules as well. Not shown separately in the accounts so could be a good A.G.M question.

Does the club pay the shirt manufacturer or the other way round?

Surely having a prem team wear your shirts is worth something?

Why would the club pay the shirt manufacturer. They sell the shirts and pay the club for promoting their brand.The higher profile the club the bigger the deal. Multi millions for the top clubs.

Football shirts are big business, these companies only pay an advance on royalties.

Nike for example have a £303bn deal with Man Utd for 13 years, but that''s just an advance on royalties, there is then a profit share with the club. Nike profit massively from the sale of Man Utd shirts.

How many people do you see walking around in Errea gear? Their main business is football kits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erre%C3%A0

It is possible that Norwich got an advance, but they and the club will be revenue sharing.

Do you really think that Nike just produce millions of Man Utd shirts and give them to the club for free? Ha, Nike will be making billions out of that deal, as will Man Utd.

Well thats what i thought, but the way some were talking they made it sound like the club pay them.

When people are asking why not do it all in house, surely apart from the expertise of those in the industry the fact it doesn''t cost the club has to be a big reason.

Well the club do pay them, a share of every shirt sold.

Both Errea and Norwich City will make money from every shirt sold.

It is a business arrangement, not a sponsorship, Errea don''t just give the club money to put their logo on the shirt.

My point was that I don''t understand why some clubs don''t cut the kit brands out of the equation and just produce their own for a bigger share of the profit. especially clubs a little further down the pyramid. Nobody is going to give a lump sum advance to Cheltenham or Doncaster to produce their shirts.

Sorry to be pedantic but our kits are actually templates. It''s just that while Puma, Nike and Adidas are all over the show, we share our templates with Bristol City, Northampton and Blackpool so it''s not as noticeable

I do not understand why people do not believe that sports companies pay clubs to wear their kit. This is a multi million pound business as shown by Che r.h.m. The sports co get high profile coverage around the world plus the cost price of the kit. Club gets several million over the course of the contractor''s mark up on sales. Win win win.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"]err... Bristol City are made by Adidas, and looking at the Blackpool and Northampton Kits - they are nothing like ours!![/quote]

I meant Bristol Rovers, not Bristol City. Do any of the cuts of these shirts look familiar?

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/13/14-kits/blackpool-2013-2014-errea-home-and-away-football-shirts.html

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/13/14-kits/brighton-hove-albion-2013-2014-errea-away-football-shirt.html

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/13/14-kits/northampton-town-2013-2014-home-a-away-football-kits.html

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/12/13-kits/bristol-rovers-2012-2013-errea-home-away-football-shirts.html

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/12/13-kits/mansfield-town-2012-2013-errea-football-kits.html

[/quote]Agreed cut simaler but designs all very different (apart from the V neck design on some of the shirts) - so therefore NOT from a template. If you look at all the adidas/puma/nike shirts outside the top 6, thay are all from 2 or 3 basic templates which was my original point. I don''t see any of the Errea shirts with the same sleeve design as ours or the same short design or even a simaler collar to last years kit....So, I think rather than condradicting my original point, those links have re-enforced it. Thanks!!!

"I do not understand why people do not believe that sports companies pay clubs to wear their kit"

And I do not understand why people do not believe that sports companies only give an advance on royalties, which they make back with huge profit.

What are Nike shirts if they aren''t cheap? Made in Bangledesh by people earning 20p an hour.

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"]err... Bristol City are made by Adidas, and looking at the Blackpool and Northampton Kits - they are nothing like ours!![/quote]

I meant Bristol Rovers, not Bristol City. Do any of the cuts of these shirts look familiar?

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/13/14-kits/blackpool-2013-2014-errea-home-and-away-football-shirts.html

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/13/14-kits/brighton-hove-albion-2013-2014-errea-away-football-shirt.html

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/13/14-kits/northampton-town-2013-2014-home-a-away-football-kits.html

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/12/13-kits/bristol-rovers-2012-2013-errea-home-away-football-shirts.html

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/12/13-kits/mansfield-town-2012-2013-errea-football-kits.html

[/quote]Agreed cut simaler but designs all very different (apart from the V neck design on some of the shirts) - so therefore NOT from a template. If you look at all the adidas/puma/nike shirts outside the top 6, thay are all from 2 or 3 basic templates which was my original point. I don''t see any of the Errea shirts with the same sleeve design as ours or the same short design or even a simaler collar to last years kit....So, I think rather than condradicting my original point, those links have re-enforced it. Thanks!!! [/quote]You''re more than welcome. Of course I forgot to stipulate that we won''t be playing in blue and white stripes, tangerine or maroon and our crest will be different too. Incidentally, the Mansfield away has the same collar as ours from last season and Brighton had the same on a horrible day-glo away shirt from a few seasons ago.West Ham''s Adidas kit is completely different from Swansea''s which is completely different from Bolton''s which is completely different from Swindon''s etc (and yes I know Bolton and Swindon aren''t Prem clubs but are surely part of your Adidas indentikit group).My point is that Errea do not make exclusive bespoke designs for us in the same way that Nike do for Man Utd or Arsenal but rather they have set cuts/designs for all their clubs and rotate them around and make little tweaks here and there. I completely agree with you that if Errea had as many clubs on their books as Nike/Puma/Adidas there would be greater risk of lazy designers copying and pasting the exact same templates in exactly the same manner which would be horrible (maybe there are Errea teams in Italy or France or Peru which have the same sleeves as us?). Puma in particular have spent about a decade coming up with a yearly gimmick that they then shoehorn into every kit they manufacture. Your point is that our shirts have touches that make them unique (which I agree with to a very large extent) but I was simply trying to say that we''re not completely unique with our designs and Errea are not designing exclusive shirts solely for NCFC. I wasn''t even trying to start an argument, just make a point.On a personal note, I very much like Errea designing our kits and I like the templates so I''m not bashing Errea. I think our home and away kit combo from two seasons ago are some of the best shirts we''ve ever had [Y]