Sign in to follow this  
hans moleman

Sky's First Live Matches

It''s normally around three weeks from the initial fixtures, so that would put it sometime around the 10th July.  Last year they were announced after 20 days, so if that same this year you''ve got a week to wait.The process could be slower this year as you have not only Sky and ESPN (assuming ESPN still have some games), but also BT to select their games.

Just don''t expect to see City on Sunday at 16.00, once in two seasons.

Have read in a few places that Sky and BT games (and presumably ESPN as well) are being announced on the 8th July

[quote user="e10_yellow"]Have read in a few places that Sky and BT games (and presumably ESPN as well) are being announced on the 8th July[/quote]

Didn''t BT also buy up all of ESPN''s games this season? Thought I read that somewhere, but can''t remember for sure now.

I was one of the mugs paying £10/month to ESPN last season. I rang them up to cancel yesterday to be told the chanel is winding up and will cease to exist from the end of July...

BT sports are taking over ESPN as I understand and will show 38 prem games next season.

Being a BT phone and Internet customer I get the BT Sport channels for free.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]BT sports are taking over ESPN as I understand and will show 38 prem games next season.

Being a BT phone and Internet customer I get the BT Sport channels for free.[/quote]So BT is really just a reincarnation of ESPN, which in turn was Setanta!  I didn''t realise that, I thought there was going to be a 3rd company showing games.

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="city-till-i-die"]BT sports are taking over ESPN as I understand and will show 38 prem games next season.

Being a BT phone and Internet customer I get the BT Sport channels for free.[/quote]So BT is really just a reincarnation of ESPN, which in turn was Setanta!  I didn''t realise that, I thought there was going to be a 3rd company showing games.[/quote]

I think BT (which shares the FA Cup rights with ITV) has more money behind it and possibly more of a strategy than did Setanta or ESPN! Analysts expect BT to lose money on this for at least five years. It is tough taking on Sky.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="city-till-i-die"]BT sports are taking over ESPN as I understand and will show 38 prem games next season. Being a BT phone and Internet customer I get the BT Sport channels for free.[/quote]So BT is really just a reincarnation of ESPN, which in turn was Setanta!  I didn''t realise that, I thought there was going to be a 3rd company showing games.
[/quote]

I think BT (which shares the FA Cup rights with ITV) has more money behind it and possibly more of a strategy than did Setanta or ESPN! Analysts expect BT to lose money on this for at least five years. It is tough taking on Sky.

[/quote]

BT are using the Sports as a method to increase broadband customers (stealing them away from Sky) - I also hear that the commerical licences (for pubs etc) are tiny compared to Sky''s.

The real fun should start in the next deal when Al Jazeera will probably also want the rights to some games, could make the current deal look small.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="city-till-i-die"]BT sports are taking over ESPN as I understand and will show 38 prem games next season. Being a BT phone and Internet customer I get the BT Sport channels for free.[/quote]So BT is really just a reincarnation of ESPN, which in turn was Setanta!  I didn''t realise that, I thought there was going to be a 3rd company showing games.[/quote]

[/quote]

BT are using the Sports as a method to increase broadband customers (stealing them away from Sky) - I also hear that the commerical licences (for pubs etc) are tiny compared to Sky''s.

The real fun should start in the next deal when Al Jazeera will probably also want the rights to some games, could make the current deal look small.

[/quote]

Exactly. There is a war going on there. BT wants to reverse the loss of household broadband customers to Sky. The last figures I saw were that BT''s numbers had fallen to 5m and Sky''s were at 4.4m.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="city-till-i-die"]BT sports are taking over ESPN as I understand and will show 38 prem games next season. Being a BT phone and Internet customer I get the BT Sport channels for free.[/quote]So BT is really just a reincarnation of ESPN, which in turn was Setanta!  I didn''t realise that, I thought there was going to be a 3rd company showing games.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly. There is a war going on there. BT wants to reverse the loss of household broadband customers to Sky. The last figures I saw were that BT''s numbers had fallen to 5m and Sky''s were at 4.4m.

[/quote]Unfortunately for BT the reason I left and many others I know was that there Broadband was crap, only to be made worse by the customer service. As I have TV and phone with Sky my much better broadband is now free.No way I''d go back to them with the promise of perhaps one live NCFC game a year more than I get with Sky. It would be cheaper to get myself and Mrs Shirt to Norwich and get tickets for that match, should it happen to be one of the very few we could physically attend. Of course if it isn''t then the chances are we wouldn''t be around to watch it live on TV anyway.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]BT sports are taking over ESPN as I understand and will show 38 prem games next season. Being a BT phone and Internet customer I get the BT Sport channels for free.[/quote]

no you dont.... increase in line rental for everyone see''s to that.

I can see BT vision being the next ITV Digital.

Jas, i am paying as much as i would be if i didn''t have BT Sport channels thus making them free.

As long as they last a season, i''m not bothered.

Also with Jake Humphrey the face of it, we should hope it works out well.

Jas the channels are views through my sky box I don''t have BT vision.

I pay line rental and broadband costs.

I pay no extra for the BT sports channels.

There may have been an increase in line rental (not to my knowledge tho) so for me personally they are FREE