Sign in to follow this  
urdie_Canary

Wigan have had a bid rejected for Holt ....

According to talksport just now, breaking news.If it happens good move for both parties I''d say, big earner of the wage bill and hopefully we can get someone in with more quality.

Talksport seemed to be the only ones reporting this. I''m less inclined to believe it but if the price is right then it could be a good fit. Wouldn''t like to see him go, would be a sad day- but nothing lasts forever.

God almighty I hope we don''t sell another striker before we get one in. Most of our fans on Twitter don''t seem to understand that the season doesn''t start for 6 or 7 weeks and this might push a few over the edge.

He''s the club captain, probably the most influential player at the club, helps out the youngsters, without him we would be nowhere near we are now, the money we would get for him wouldn''t actually be that much (£3-3m tops probably, not a huge amount). I don''t see why he should go. We only have 3 forwards, get rid of Holt and we have 2, including Becchio who I don''t see being a big hit here, unfortunately.

It''s Talksport ffs. All this does is bring out the usual anti Holt brigade who have as much a clue about football as said radio station

Can''t we sell them Becchio instead. I just can''t see poor old Luciano getting much of a look in and like the Morison to Leeds move it hasn''t really worked for either party.

"Act in haste ... repent at leisure" ................. Shaky Bill.

[quote user="FatGrant"]Get rid, the boys shite.[/quote]

What about that Hat trick that he scored against 1p5wich FatGrant? Surely you must have enjoyed him making a mockery of that joke of a club?

[quote user="FatGrant"]Errrr, someone like Wigan maybe? He''d be better in the SPL, more his pace of football.[/quote]
Sharp as a tack you aren''t you.

If we were to get a bid that enabled us to buy half of a younger model (Hooper or Toivonen or whoever) we should accept it.

Why do some fans talk like we''re still in league one?

''Off the wage bill'' etc

I know there''s apparently no room for sentiment in football and all that but..

I find it remarkable that a club legend, who''s scored lots and lots of goals for this club, our top scorer last season and seasons previous is made out to be some league 2 standard waste-of-space during pre-season.

Some championship club offers a couple of million pounds we can afford to be without and 80% of this forum want to drive him to Wigan personally!

I think he still has a lot to offer. I don''t think our financial state means we have to be concerned that his value will decrease with age when we''re talking (relatively speaking) low sums of money as it is.

He''s an influential captain, leads from the front and to sell him purely to fund half of another player seems ludicrous to me.

Without any replacements in the bag there is no way that Holt any sale should be considered.

From the other side, every player has his price and every player has his choices too. If Holt has made his mind up to stay with us for another season great but if he does feel the time is right to move back up north then if the right deal is there for all parties go for it!

When Holt does go it will be a sad say and a big loss to us.

I''m not sure that there is another Holt out there, closest thing is Lambert at Southampton.

It''s about more than what he does on the pitch (which is still more than enough to warrant another year),

We need a younger model, yes but as well as Holt so they have someone to work with and learn a thing or two from that they might not know (like in the case of Hooper or Toivonen - the premier league). Shoving RVW into the limelight with only Becchio and other inexperienced PL players to gain knowledge from would be foolish.

We simply cannot let Holt go this summer unless he wants the move - he''s the man with the experience, the leadership, the influence and the embodiment of the togetherness of the squad.

I second Morty''s sigh.

The Holt debate has been done to death over the last month on here. The result was if you want him to leave then you''re just wrong.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]I don''t think it''s 80% Hogesar. They''re just the noisier ones.[/quote]I think it''s fair to say that there''s also some of us who accept that all players, no matter how good they once were have a ''sell by date'', and what some of us are thinking is that Holt may well be getting extremely close to his.My concern is that Holt clearly wasn''t happy for large parts of last season, he didn''t like the formation and style of play, he didn''t like being on the bench and this badly showed in a number of games where his attitude was shocking (admittedly it was much better in the final two games).This season he''s likely to spend a large chunk of his time on the bench unless RVW gets injured or has a complete disaster, not to mention that there''s been ZERO indication that Hughton wants to move away from his preferred setup meaning Holt would again potentially be asked to play a role that he doesn''t like or really excel in.With all that in mind, we aren''t going to be getting the full benefit of the guy who was instrumental in getting us promoted and keeping us here, we''d likely be getting the frustrated guy in a role he doesn''t like, who''s a year older and up against much better competition for a starting place, and it''s because of this that a move may be the best option.We get the money to invest in a newer version of Holt (or in another position we need), he leaves as a club legend whilst still being able to continue playing at a good level before he retires (whenever that may be). Wigan are much closer to home for him, will give him first team football, and we all know how capable he is in the Championship (not to mention his debut Prem season) and he could help them come back up.Could Holt still do a job for us - absolutely, but that doesn''t mean that we should stick our fingers in our ears and start shouting "La la la, not listening, La la la", when a sensible offer is made for a player who''s likely to have a diminishing level of involvement and impact over the next season or two...

I don''t want him to go but if it''s a move that personally suits him and his family, then good luck to him.

If we get 2 or 3 mill to put towards a younger (dare I say better) version then it''s good for all concerned.