Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

So how much did Anelka cost West Brom?

One season contract, no doubting his ability, I''m looking forward to seeing him at Carrow Road.

Not the sort of player we''re looking for? West Brom in a transitional period? Although I think along side Long they could make a formidable pairing.

Anelka is the biggest Journeyman in football."More Clubs than Tiger Woods"His form has dropped majorly since his Premier League days and he''s hardly an equal to Lukaku these days.Why would we want to sign someone like Anelka (who must be on mad wages) for 1 year when we can sign another striker of RVW''s caliber on a much longer contract who can do a better job!

The problems of loaning a player.

West Brom had the services of Lukaku last season and he became an integral part of their team, part of the team that did so well.

He has now been ''reclaimed'' by Chelsea and West Brom obviously realise that they need another quality performer to take his place if they are to do as well this season.

They improved Lukaku''s play, they improved his status in the Premiership and, more importantly, they improved his value. In return they received a season in which they did not have to worry about relegation ...... but they have not received anything for improving Lukaku from Chelsea. Instead they now have had to find a replacement which has cost them a fair bit, I would guess. But they do not have the monetary benefit for selling on a player who improved with them to spend on a new player. And they have to hope the replacement will fill the gap left by Lukaku.

Anelka can''t have too many seasons left in him, and he only has a one year contract, so what for them next season? Another loan and the same problems again?

I feel that is a big step backwards for them. Unless they get another ''Lukaku'' type player (a lot younger than Anelka) then they could easily slip into t he bottom half of the Prem next season.

I spoke to a WBA season ticket holder, and he is not impressed with Clarke at all, did well at the start of last season, but then constantly played the wrong tactics, and (before the Anelka news) wondered how on earth they were going to replace a player of Lukaku''s ability.

Btw, he thought Odemwingie would be a good buy for us, even though he thought how Odemwingie dissed the Club, was horrendous. (He was serious) I said we don''t do disruptive players!

Quirkiest signing of the Summer so far.

The Sun says that Anelka is due to pick up £1m for his year''s work.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]The problems of loaning a player. West Brom had the services of Lukaku last season and he became an integral part of their team, part of the team that did so well. He has now been ''reclaimed'' by Chelsea and West Brom obviously realise that they need another quality performer to take his place if they are to do as well this season. They improved Lukaku''s play, they improved his status in the Premiership and, more importantly, they improved his value. In return they received a season in which they did not have to worry about relegation ...... but they have not received anything for improving Lukaku from Chelsea. Instead they now have had to find a replacement which has cost them a fair bit, I would guess. But they do not have the monetary benefit for selling on a player who improved with them to spend on a new player. And they have to hope the replacement will fill the gap left by Lukaku. Anelka can''t have too many seasons left in him, and he only has a one year contract, so what for them next season? Another loan and the same problems again?[/quote]

Very true.  This is exactly why I wonder about people wanting us to loan Naughton again.  Buy him, yes if the fee is sensible.  But why should we take another loan in that position.

BroadstairsR wrote - "The Sun says that Anelka is due to pick up £1m for his year''s work."

So less that £20k a week. Chickenfeed.