Sign in to follow this  
FramCanary

£6m bid rejected for new striker target!

Not strange at all. We need a forward like him, as I''ve been saying for a while. A beast!

Missing piece of the puzzle.

Good player too. Whether the report is accurate, only time will tell.

You''re right - very strange. It was the last sentence that determined the journalistic "berk" factor associated with this article:

"Norwich are also looking at Blackburn left-back Martin Olsson, and are prepared to sell Grant Holt after offloading fellow striker James Vaughan to Huddersfield."

The font of knowledge that is the Irish Mirror talking about a Senegalese striker playing for Russian club Lokomotiv Moscow, who last year played for Denmark''s FC Copenhagen - you couldn''t make it up!

Or maybe a leak from the club to flush out the current bids on the table. By highlighting another bid it might make those prevaricating come down one way or the other.

ABC,The Irish Mirror is a sister paper to The Daily Mirror. This is clearly a Nursey story as he tweeted this story mid-afteroon without actually mentioning the name of the player concerned. Expect this to be in the Mirror before the morning.

Almost as soon as I had finished posting, the Mirro story written by Nursey appears. He seems to have a mixed record as some of his City predictions have been way off the mark, but others indicate he has some inside track. I would be inclined to think that this story has some legs, especially as someone posted a while back that we have been scouting in Russia. At the very least, this may place more pressure on Cetilc and Hooper.http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/norwich-transfers-striker-dame-ndoye-2026871

I would think McNally and the gaffer will be bidding on a whole range of strikers that have been identified as potential targets. Seeking out asking prices and whats available. Therefore I wouldn''t put it past them inquiring but god knows if he is the gaffers next main striker target!

I still think Hughton will move for Hooper, you cannot have that much interest in a player and suddenly drop it. To my mind Hooper has not done anything but score goals since January so I would assume we are still interested.

Never heard of him, although I''d never heard of Wolfswinkel or Benteke either so I guess that is meaningless. 

It''s a real shame that we don''t have a striker we could sell for a couple of million or so, because then we might be able to increase our bid for this younger-model hotshot.

Ooooh, controversial there Purple....now who could you have in mind?!

It is an interesting link, he clearly knows where the goal is from his stats, so I guess we trust the judgement of CH and co if we do go for him.

The thing intriguing me in the story is that we have apparently seen moves for Kone, Hooper and Toivonen ''falter'' or ''collapse''. I wasn''t ever convinced about the Kone link, and thought the others were still live....are we now to assume they aren''t, or is Nursey going to prove yet again how wide of the mark he always seems to get things?: I feel he always had an excuse why a ''link'' doesn''t happen, and remember we were 3rd (out of 2) to sign Redmond this time last week!

the more and more money that we spend, the more I get worried.

my excuse to mates whenever we lost last season was "but we''re one of the cheapest formed teams in the league!"

now I''ll have nothing! :''(

here''s to not having to make an excuse for losing next season, though!

£6m+ for a relatively obscure 28 year old striker is a bit much though isn''t it? There are probably better, and younger, players to be found elsewhere for a lot less money.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Ooooh, controversial there Purple....now who could you have in mind?!

It is an interesting link, he clearly knows where the goal is from his stats, so I guess we trust the judgement of CH and co if we do go for him.

The thing intriguing me in the story is that we have apparently seen moves for Kone, Hooper and Toivonen ''falter'' or ''collapse''. I wasn''t ever convinced about the Kone link, and thought the others were still live....are we now to assume they aren''t, or is Nursey going to prove yet again how wide of the mark he always seems to get things?: I feel he always had an excuse why a ''link'' doesn''t happen, and remember we were 3rd (out of 2) to sign Redmond this time last week![/quote]

Indeed Branston. According to the Birmingham Mail, which obviously had an inside track, Nursey was just plain wrong about in what order Redmond viewed the interested clubs.As to the other strikers the Koné link seemed dubious, and I have never been convinced we are still in for Hooper, having got RVW. But we could be. If we are rich enough to afford two similarish strikers then Hooper would fit the bill. As for Toivonen it seems (because McNally never denied it) that we have bid for him, but I would be amazed if other PL clubs were not interested, and there is no reason for him to be in a rush.

£6m seems about the right figure for this guy. He has an impressive scoring record (nearly one in two) over his career including European Cup matches and Internationals. He has scored nearly as many with his head as with his right foot and is not a one trick pony as his assist rate is impressive. I would have no complaints if he ended up with us.

Looking around this guy looks amazing. Strong, fast, good finisher and extremely good in the air. Like Kone but younger and better by looks of it.

He may struggle for a Work-Permit though as only 13 appearances....

Surprising that we make this bid, for so much money, when Fer and Toivonen are still possibly in the pipe-line, or has CR heard that one or both is not coming, - more likely Toivonen. It also seems to suggest that we have given up on Hooper, so perhaps there is truth in the QPR rumour.

I don''t think it''s strange Salopian. We have big bucks to spend and so far we have spent approx 3 million. Maybe the rumour is there to call toivonen''s bluff. Or maybe we''re aiming for 2 out of 3. We have to remember we are in the big league now when it comes to transfer kittys.

I fully expect to make 2 or 3 more signings at around the 5-6 million mark.

He is a better all round striker than Hooper and has the extra height and muscle. As for the work permit; it is confusing - Senegal are outside FIFA''s top 70 teams so that is a problem but he has played in Denmark and Greece so has he got some type of EU clearance due to the France/Senegal historic link??

I think every club has several bids in the pipeline and players will generally accept this. There simply isn''t time for us to ''wait around'' for a player without having some of the work done on plan B already.

I reckon we''re in for at least 10 strikers, mostly at a formative level so far.

It might seem like big money in the context of what we have spent previously but when you look around at others its not big money.

West Ham (similar club to us) have spent £16 million on Carroll.

Southampton spent £9m on a player last summer, have spent £8m on a defender already this summer and are currently linked with Wanyama for £12m, some midfielder for £8m and that Brazilian striker spurs were after for £20m.

Unless you are exceptionally furtunate/good you just don;t get decent, premiership quality strikers for less than £5m any more. I know Michu was cheap and so was Ba but those I think are exceptions rather than the norm.

If we wanted Hooper we would have put a bid in already (and Celtic would have made it public knowledge). I don''t think we are interested anymore.