Sign in to follow this  

Hi all, new to this board looking forward to getting to know you all.Was wondering your opinions on a player/s who you wanted to do well and progress with Norwich but never really hit the heights!Will start with a recent one in Kei Kamara, not a flop by any means but shame he didnt become a cult classic!did also have high hopes for Shaun Carey.....

Personally I only ever saw Shaun Carey as a headless chicken, 100% effort with no impact at all, didn''t surprise me to see him fall down the leagues.
Julien Brellier has to be one of my personal disappointments, he came with a fearsome reputation as a midfield enforcer. I was expecting Roy Keane and got somebody who looked completely out of his depth.
The player who frustrated me the most however was Adrian Forbes, could do a bit of everything and had all the necessary attributes to become a top player but for some reason didn''t seem to utilise them very often and would often be anonymous in games, think he is one who played well below his level for most of his career.

Chris Martin. Never hit the level that I thought he was capable of.

Welcome aboard. Ryan Jarvis for me. I remember thinking i can''t wait till he''s 22/23 then we will have one hell of a player. Esp his curling effort against Liverpool. How wrong was i.

In terms of having it all - Dean Ashton.

Only thing he lacked was pace. The guy had everything else. I really believe he would have been the next Alan Shearer if he hadnt got that injury. Still find it hard to believe SWP the slightest footballer in world history could have been the culprit.

More on topic though, as above Julian Brellier was a massive disappointment considering the reputation he came with. David Strihavka another - never saw him play so is always very mythological as to why he was so bad - could anyone elaborate as to why he was so bad?

Always wondered if we missed a trick with Theoklitos - obviously his debut was infamous, but did he just need some time? Look at the way Turner was transformed after a similarly terrible start - the guy must have had something to be Gunny''s ''number one transfer target''. I know he only played in the A-leauge, but similarly we were only in League One ourselves.

Always liked Erik Fuglestad, had high hopes for him, and thought Mulryne would hit greater heights than he did. Thought Luke Chadwick was a great player, couldnt really understand why we let him go so easily.

Jason Shackell - looked the part at times especially in our 2005 season in the prem, showed promise in a struggling side but he really didn''t develop after that and since then has gone on to become a run of the mill centre half. Jens Berthal Askou - Again, strong, eager, powerful and a very nice bloke by all accounts. had 1 shocker of a game and never really seen again (think missus had a baby and wanted to go back to denmark as well...)Ian Henderson - had a torrid time going through his scholarship with the family tragedy and I think that broke his mental strength really and he lived in the shadow of that incident and now bouncing around the lower leagues.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Dave the Striker

as for home grown lads, Chris Llewelyn.[/quote]he is a free agent now so maybe time for him to ome back for a second attempt!

I agree with- Chris Martin, in league 1 he had some great times paired with Holt, always hoped he would grow with the promotions and showed the odd spark late on.. shame. I remember seeing him turn and score a goal and think "wow" ... meh.. championship obscurity for him now i think.

I used to always make him good on footy manager!

To the person asking why Strihavka was so bad.

He wasn''t. I saw him play a bit in the first team (not sure I saw him start or not, but definitely saw him in a league game or two) and some reserve football I think. Wasn''t bad. If he had actually been given a few starts and given a chance to settle in the first team i''m sure he''d have done ok.

But then Roeder came, and suddenly he couldn''t settle in English football. But he was never given a chance.

Adrian Coote...........a smashing lad.........and Jamie Cureton........the same reason.

There are several which spring to mind for me;

Cedric Anselin - always seemed to show promise and tricks but just never quite cut it.

Darren Kenton - OK, had speed and always made that ditch tackle, but I couldn''t help but feel if he''d defended better earlier up the pitch, he wouldn''t be making that last ditch tackle chasing back.

Lee Marshall - Was always one of those players (bit like Viduka) would have one or two amazing games, then disappear for 5 or 6

Phil Mulryne - came with a great ''starlet'' reputation, the ''next Beckham'' - a few decent games and freekicks and that was it.

Mark Rivers / Mike Sheron - great with previous and subsequent clubs, just crap with us.

The Swedish right-back was Danish and Tomas Helveg. In his defence he was about 34 at the time (or something!) and it took him about 6 months to get up to the pace of the English league.For me personally when I was younger I genuinely believed Darren Kenton had the full potential to become an England international; lightening pace, strong, good header of the ball, scored goals etc. Went to Southampton on a free and then just disappeared off the face of the earth.I also got really excited when we signed Tony Cottee

Keith O''Neill. On the basis of the first time I saw him play I thought we had a true international star on our hands. A real "wow" moment. A decent career but he didn''t reach the heights that seemed probable.

Jim Bone. Skilful, tricky midfielder, signed by Ron Saunders towards the end of the 1972 promotion season, he was going to be the next cult hero, but after a handful of good games, he was on his way a few months later.

Also, does anybody remember Laurie Sheffield? Round about 1967 or 68, I seem to remember he scored a hat-trick on his debut, then did very little else and was sold about a year later.

Admittedly, my memory may be playing tricks on me with these two, as I was only a kid at the time.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]The Swedish right-back was Danish and Tomas Helveg. In his defence he was about 34 at the time (or something!) and it took him about 6 months to get up to the pace of the English league.For me personally when I was younger I genuinely believed Darren Kenton had the full potential to become an England international; lightening pace, strong, good header of the ball, scored goals etc. Went to Southampton on a free and then just disappeared off the face of the earth.I also got really excited when we signed Tony Cottee[/quote]Thats the one.Tony Cottee eh, I raise you a Steve Walsh