Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

Will Ruddy Go for £10M?

At the end of the day if Chelsea bid £10 million pounds he''s gone. Lets be realistic here, why would he turn them down? At worse he''d probably triple his wages.

Yes he''s number 1 here, but perhaps he fancies the challenge of dislodging cech? And I''d even argue that he stands a greater chance of England selection sat on the bench for Chelsea as opposed to playing week in week out or norwich.

I hope Ruddy stays but he is good enough for Chelsea. If he believes in himself too he''ll go. Luckily ruddy ouzes class and professionalism so I can''t see him ever throwing the toys out of the pram if such a move doesn''t happen.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]At the end of the day if Chelsea bid £10 million pounds he''s gone. Lets be realistic here, why would he turn them down? At worse he''d probably triple his wages. Yes he''s number 1 here, but perhaps he fancies the challenge of dislodging cech? And I''d even argue that he stands a greater chance of England selection sat on the bench for Chelsea as opposed to playing week in week out or norwich. I hope Ruddy stays but he is good enough for Chelsea. If he believes in himself too he''ll go. Luckily ruddy ouzes class and professionalism so I can''t see him ever throwing the toys out of the pram if such a move doesn''t happen.[/quote]

And doesn''t this just sum up the problem with the national side... I so wish I could argue that, but its true.

Lots of people saying £10M is a good price for a goalkeeper, but didn''t Liverpool just pay £11M for Mignolet? That would value Ruddy even higher, in my opinion.

IF the reports that Chelski are coming back with a £10M bid are true, then they are taking the pi55. Any goalkeeper of Ruddy''s ability is a key member of the team, and as such is worth as much as any 20 goal a season striker. CH has publicly stated that Ruddy is a key part of his plans, so even if the reports of Cheslea''s bid are true, I expect our board to tell them where to go.

Since there have been a number of suggestions on this thread for alternatives to Ruddy, why don''t Chelsea look at them if they want a bench-warmer?

It would take more than £10 mil to take Ruddy imho

We don''t need to sell.....but need a great keeper, which we have.

Apart from the money, why would Ruddy want to go and be a number 2.

Yes the money is going to eclipse anything we can pay but surely SOME footballers just want to play.

[quote user="Foghorn"]

Lots of people saying £10M is a good price for a goalkeeper, but didn''t Liverpool just pay £11M for Mignolet? That would value Ruddy even higher, in my opinion.

IF the reports that Chelski are coming back with a £10M bid are true, then they are taking the pi55. Any goalkeeper of Ruddy''s ability is a key member of the team, and as such is worth as much as any 20 goal a season striker. CH has publicly stated that Ruddy is a key part of his plans, so even if the reports of Cheslea''s bid are true, I expect our board to tell them where to go.

Since there have been a number of suggestions on this thread for alternatives to Ruddy, why don''t Chelsea look at them if they want a bench-warmer?

[/quote]

Maybe Chelsea want a top quality keeper as competion to cech? And I''m afraid having paid only 500k for him the board will probably do business at 10million.

Maybe John Ruddy had enough of being a bench warmer when he moved from Cambridge to Everton a few years ago ? One first team appearance for Everton plus nine loan clubsin five years before he came here. I really hope that he stays, he has a talismanic effect on the side.

I fear this one is going to happen, once Chelsea register their interest, I wouldnt be surprised if Ruddy makes it known through his agent that he''d be interested and saet negotiations in place. As has previously been mentioned ,he will back himself, rightly or wrongly, to get his foot in the door and dislodge Cech.

Remember too, that in Mouruinho''s previously job, he had no qualms about dropping the Real Madrid & Spainish National captain to the bench in favour of someone he thought was performing better in goal.

If Petr Cech was a few years older I could see the appeal of being back-up, playing in the cups and Champions League lesser games etc., for a few seasons, but Cech is only 31 so probably has another 5 seasons in him at the top level.The problem is if Chelsea want him they''ll just keep upping the price offered until we take it.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="jed exodous"]

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]I can''t believe so many posters are saying £10 million is a good price. Yes, he''s a goalkeeper but he has a very long contract. Is his value going to increase or decrease in the next season or two? Let''s keep hold of him and sell him on for a higher price in a couple of years if he wants to go. It would be really short-sighted to let him go now.
[/quote]

Unless we finish top 4, or maybe win a cup in which he''s MOM in a few games along the run, I don''t see Ruddy''s value changing at all.  He''s highly unlikely to dislodge Hart from the England no.1 jersey, especially as he''s playing for a top team and also CL.  Also, when you consider one of the games top goalkeeping prospects, De Gea, he moved to Man U for around 16mil and he was under 20. 

If all this transfer speculation/bids etc had happened 4 or 5 weeks ago, we could''ve got Steklenberg who''d have been a good replacement and for a good price.  However, I can''t for 1 second believe that we can''t replace Ruddy with someone as good, or better for £10mil...

[/quote]

Let''s have some names then.

[/quote]

Dave, Bob, Steve...

Its irrelevant what names I suggest, everyone has an opinion, and its CH''s and his teams opinion that counts, I don''t study every league in world football, but our scouts will have.  If there is any hint of professionalism in the club, they will have already identified potential targets. 

If I suggest Gianluigi Buffon or Carlo Nash, it doesn''t have any effect on who we sign.  As I said, there will be adequet replacements out there, who can fill Ruddy''s boots for £10million... 

It''s the natural food chain... we buy Sporting Lisbon''s best player and Birmingham''s best prospect. Chelsea buy our best player.He''s too good to stay with a mid-table club for his entire career, so it will happen at some point. Would be gutted to see him go, and would prefer to hold on for a couple more seasons though.Although debt free now, we''re not a wealthly club, and £10m is a lot of money a goalkeeper, and if he battles his way in to the team there, he''d be given the chance to compete for championships and cups in the prime of his career.

If Ruddy does go this is what I see:

1) Relegation - I can''t see us finding a strong enough replacement. Bunn isn''t good enough in my opinion

2) Ruddy never playing for England again - I can''t see him taking the no. 1 shirt away from Petr Cech

Chelsea offered Jack Butland a contract in January but he rejected it because he wanted to play regularly - if he had gone he would ruin his career

If we do accept a bid Ruddy will have to decide whether he still wants to play regular first team football and get called up for his country, or become just a spectator on the bench with higher wages.

I would only let Chelsea have Ruddy if they gave us Cech in return

[quote user="HazzaJet"]If Ruddy does go this is what I see:

1) Relegation - I can''t see us finding a strong enough replacement.
Bunn isn''t good enough in my opinion

2) Ruddy never playing for England again - I can''t see him taking the no. 1 shirt away from Petr Cech

Chelsea offered Jack Butland a contract in January but he rejected it because he wanted to play regularly - if he had gone he would ruin his career

If we do accept a bid Ruddy will have to decide whether he still wants to play regular first team football and get called up for his country, or become just a spectator on the bench with higher wages.

I would only let Chelsea have Ruddy if they gave us Cech in return[/quote]
Really? Really?

Yes - we went 17 games without a win during Ruddy''s injury period last season didn''t we?

If Chelsea want Ruddy I''d ask £100m + Petr Cech.

Then they won''t sign him

[quote user="HazzaJet"]Yes - we went 17 games without a win during Ruddy''s injury period last season didn''t we?[/quote]
While that is true, he was only injured. He hadn''t been sold. We had two backup keepers.
If he gets sold, we will purchase a replacement. 

The lift that the crowd (and the team no doubt) got when he came back for WBA at home was brilliant.

He exuded a calmness and a confidence that just wasnt there when Bunn (who played well when called upon) was in goal.

£10m m is a steal. Has to be £12million at least.

IF Chelsea bid £10m, and IF Ruddy triples his wages, and IF there is still such a thing as a 10% signing on fee (there used to be if you were in contract which Ruddy obviously is) then I''m afraid to say we are looking for a new first choice GK.

A Forster / Hooper double using the Ruddy money wouldnt be all bad would it?

Goalkeepers are always undervalued and def are massive positions to fill as we and other clubs have found it in taking sometime decades to replace a stand out keeper.

Who knows, if ruddy sees it as the right step and the pressure is mounting from Chelsea and agents then th move is great, with so many games and competitions to be in this and every season he could get some playing time. To work under mourinho would also be amazing.

We could look to Europe to bring in a keeper but we would need one of stature, size and ability.

But nothing has happened so far.

Ruddy is massive for us. Him still being here will make a huge difference to our season. He MUST be kept.

Would rather keep JR than lose him and get Hooper and Fer

Not so sure I would agree with. That asi think we could bring in a keeper.

But if either ruddy or holt were to leave I would rather lose holt than ruddy.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

I fear this one is going to happen, once Chelsea register their interest, I wouldnt be surprised if Ruddy makes it known through his agent that he''d be interested and saet negotiations in place. As has previously been mentioned ,he will back himself, rightly or wrongly, to get his foot in the door and dislodge Cech.

Remember too, that in Mouruinho''s previously job, he had no qualms about dropping the Real Madrid & Spainish National captain to the bench in favour of someone he thought was performing better in goal.

[/quote]

I am amazed that people think that Ruddy will be sold

Despite CH''s assurances regarding JR, the board know that if we are seen as a club that our prepared to sell their best players, then it will be open season! (Remember how our attacking threat of Robins, Ekoku, Sutton, Bellamy, Fox et al was decimated because a certain unnamed Chairman could only see the $ signs in front of him? Remember how we survived.......... thought not!) Let''s see how this former Chairman would view the situation - probably get £25m before Jan (£15m for midfield, £10m for GK) and then another £10m in Jan when "megabucks" comes knocking on the door for RVW. Gives an opportunity to the "homegrown" youngsters and £35m in the bank. Now, let me think, how did a certain Ken Bates run his Leeds empire......?

With Norwich having worked a miracle to get where we are now, can you see them repeating the mistakes of old? We do not need to sell, it is only speculation that Chelsea or anybody else are "upping" the price for JR. We need to stop thinking so negatively. We have contracts and contract extensions that have been agreed with players. If somebody was to try and "bully" us into selling any player we didn''t want to sell, then I wouldn''t put it past DM after rejecting their offers to come to a compromise - for example, Petr Cech with John Terry and Frank Lampard on a season long loan - with Chelsea picking up the wage packet! Maybe that would get the message across, to paraphrase Maggie, that "Norwich are not for turning"!

Realistically, why would we spend our biggest tranfer figure to date, only to start selling off prized our assets? Would that inspire other world class footballers that Norwich was a club that could match their ambition?

Finally, didn''t I read somewhere that JR was on the verge of jacking it all in before Norwich came along? The club who revived his career, gave him international football opportunities and made him feel an important part of the NCFC family. He''s got married, settled down in the area and is the 1st name on the teamsheet. After all he''s been through, would he want to jeopardise all that to sit on the bench at Chelsea? Remember, it''s only been 10 years since Chelsea became "a big club" that''s how long Roman has been there for. Prior to that - an also ran!

Who says £7M colney?

Guardian report an initial £3M bid with potentially £2M add ons (which judging on what happened to Ross Turnbull there we would never see.

Apparently Chelsea are considering offering more of that £2M up front.

I have to say ... what a total insult!

I would want £8M at least with Lukaku on loan.

[quote user="colneycanary"]It''s been reported that Chelsea have just offered £7 million now. I would tell them to get stuffed![/quote]Simply not enough.It needs to be 10-12 million with McEachran thrown in for good measure before we should consider a deal [:D]

It''s on the Metro website http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/03/chelsea-hope-to-finally-sign-john-ruddy-with-new-7million-offer-3867994/?

For me if he''s happy to say I wouldn''t sell him for any price. Not only is he a great keeper, it would also send out a signal to any players we might want to sign that we don''t have any ambition to progress beyond where we are at the moment.

You just shouldn''t sell your best player.

That article is really poor.

Saying that we''re open to do business or ruddy, even though last week Hughton said he has ruddy in his plans and sees his future here

There''s far to many ''ifs'' in this thread to start worrying yet.

£7m? No thanks

I guess any deal will hinge on us agreeing a deal for his replacement.

For me, if we could get Forster and Hooper for Ruddy, i''d begrudgingly agree, but Ruddy is immense as proven by the last two games of the season.

Strikes me as a really odd deal for Chelsea to do.

I really don''t think Chelsea will offer anything near £10M for a back up keeper that they have no intention of playing. They are just testing the water.