Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

Will Ruddy Go for £10M?

Of course nobody wants to lose him. However £10m for a goalie must be tempting. Also the question is too, how confident is Hoots in finding a worthy replacement?

I really hope not. I can''t think who we can get better even if we reinvested every penny of that £10m. Where else can you find a home grown international goalkeeper other than Man City...

I know a lot of people still have a soft spot for Fraiser Forster, but I don''t think hes nearly as good as Ruddy. Not to mention the fact that Lennon came out and said he''s not leaving Celtic for any money. Something we should say about Ruddy!

[quote user="Id fly over 1p5wich tomorrow..."]£10m is a steal.[/quote]
Maybe, but it''d make Ruddy one of the most expensive goalies ever.  Which would naturally make the board have to think hard about it.

He is not going to leave to be backup for any club, why would he? He would only leave if he would end up being first team keeper at a bigger club!

Also I found the insistence that we would be relegated without him laughable on that link!

[quote user="Vazzza"]I really hope not. I can''t think who we can get better even if we reinvested every penny of that £10m. Where else can you find a home grown international goalkeeper other than Man City...I know a lot of people still have a soft spot for Fraiser Forster, but I don''t think hes nearly as good as Ruddy. Not to mention the fact that Lennon came out and said he''s not leaving Celtic for any money. Something we should say about Ruddy![/quote]

Forster in his one season for us, when he was 21/22, was better than was Ruddy in his first season, when he was 23/24. Ruddy has since markedly improved (his positional sense is better) but then Forster may have done as well.

[quote user="Kryten121"]He is not going to leave to be backup for any club, why would he? He would only leave if he would end up being first team keeper at a bigger club!

Also I found the insistence that we would be relegated without him laughable on that link![/quote]
Then it comes down to, to what extent is he interested in money.  I''m not sure he''d triple his wages as some have said. But doubling up is very possible.

10 million squid, no thank you Chelsea. John Ruddy is an integral part of the team - and that amount of money offered does not reflect his worth to us in the scheme of things. I will be seriously gutted if he leaves, akin to how I felt when Robert Chase came out and said Chris Sutton was going nowhere. Next thing we knew he was at Blackburn for £5,000,000 - that left a really sour taste, and the disappointment at losing such a key player is such a gutting feeling. So, don''t benchwarm Chelsea next season John, stay here, play every game and then enjoy Brazil - please!

I don''t think Ruddy would believe that he''s incapable of dislodging Cech. Why would he? Just as good, if not potentially better.

If he leaves, it''s not so much about money, it''s about profile in the run up to a World Cup. As someone said, at £10 Million he would be one of the most expensive goalkeepers in the world, at one of the biggest clubs in the world, playing under one of the best managers in the world. This counts when it comes to England selection.

Don''t want him to go, of course. And he has a lot of reasons to stay, so I still think its unlikely, but it could.

If he does goes, there are replacements out there. If we were willing to reinvest most of that in a new keeper, I would like to see us try to bring in Stephane Ruffier of St Etienne. Very talented keeper! Whether we could tempt him here is a mystery - not to mention irrelevant - at this point.

Here are his best saves from this season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okdvHPpZ3wo

I can''t see Ruddy wanting to go or Chelsea spending anything near £10 million on a back-up keeper, they have Courtois for when Cech is past it.

£10M for a goalie is a lot of money, i can only think of a handful of goalkeepers who have been bought for more than that. I would rate Ruddy in the same league as Mignolet, however he is home grown so that should help his value.
I think his value has taken a knock as well after the serious injury he had. Perhaps Chelsea think they can get a bit of a bargain because of it.  
I think the club would and should seriously consider any offer above 10M. We could then invest that in a replacement and another outfield player.
Ruddy is not irreplaceable, we suffered in some games last season without him, but Bunn did ok overall and highlighted how no player is irreplaceable.
As others have said, Forster would be a great replacement, but we don''t need a British keeper, i am sure there are plenty of options in Europe as well.
Saying all this, i really like Ruddy and would be gutted if he left, but I would completely understand the transfer from all view points

[quote user="priceyrice"]£10M for a goalie is a lot of money, i can only think of a handful of goalkeepers who have been bought for more than that. I would rate Ruddy in the same league as Mignolet, however he is home grown so that should help his value.
I think his value has taken a knock as well after the serious injury he had. Perhaps Chelsea think they can get a bit of a bargain because of it.  
I think the club would and should seriously consider any offer above 10M. We could then invest that in a replacement and another outfield player.
Ruddy is not irreplaceable, we suffered in some games last season without him, but Bunn did ok overall and highlighted how no player is irreplaceable.
As others have said, Forster would be a great replacement, but we don''t need a British keeper, i am sure there are plenty of options in Europe as well.
Saying all this, i really like Ruddy and would be gutted if he left, but I would completely understand the transfer from all view points

[/quote]

No. We would need a new first-choice keeper.

[quote user="priceyrice"]£10M for a goalie is a lot of money, i can only think of a handful of goalkeepers who have been bought for more than that. I would rate Ruddy in the same league as Mignolet, however he is home grown so that should help his value.

[/quote]

This is quite a sensible post.  Let me say a few things...

- I like Ruddy a lot, and think he is a good keeper, good, but not world class or the messiah as some of you have made out on this board in the past.

- £10mil would be a heck of a lot of money for him and as long as its reinvested in the team, along with other funds we have, we''d be able to buy some serious quality to improve the team, if the 10mil is reinvested.

- If Chelsea did seriousley want him, he''s gonna get chances.  They wouldn''t pay that sort of wedge to sit on him on the bench, so the chance to be playing in the champions league and for a top team would be very appealing, alongside the fact of a large pay rise, living in London, in the spotlight more, testing himself against some of the best would be very tempting for him.  Even if it didn''t work out, I''m sure he wouldn''t be short of potential buyers if Chelsea wanted rid after say 1 season or 2.

Bunn is not as good as Ruddy, but I think he done a reasonable job in his absence last year, though it was a relief to have JR back.  Its easy to forget that we only won 5 games last season with Ruddy in goal, Arsenal, Stoke, Man U, WBA and Man C.  The same amount of league games with Bunn in goal.  Ruddy conceded 18 goals in 15 games, Bunn 30 in 23 games, so not really too much difference there.  Stats don''t tell the whole story, but its easy to say it all went downhill after Ruddy''s injury, when the truth is, things had only been going better for the 5 games prior to Ruddy''s injury.

We''re not in a position where we have to sell, but if you taking all things into consideration, £10mil would, in my opinion, be a very good offer for Ruddy.

I''ll just also add, Based on the money improving the team by 3 or 4 quality signings, it wouldn''t be the end of the world if we started off next season with Bunn in goal, though I would like to see a new number 1 come in.

Just my humble opinion...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="priceyrice"]£10M for a goalie is a lot of money, i can only think of a handful of goalkeepers who have been bought for more than that. I would rate Ruddy in the same league as Mignolet, however he is home grown so that should help his value.

[/quote]

No. We would need a new first-choice keeper.

[/quote]
Agree 100% Purple, my point perhaps wasn''t so clear. What I was indicating was that we did ok with Bunny in goal for the majority of the season, therefore if we sold Ruddy we can replace him with someone better than Bunn and realistically we wont suffer too much as a result.

The only way we could ever let Ruddy go (unless he truly wanted to go) was if we had a star replacement lined up - but I can''t see this happening.

From Ruddy''s point of view he''s loved here. He''s worked his way into the England set up, and trains with the England Goalkeeper Coach. The facilities here are good, the fan base is good, and he trains in some of the finest facilities in the country. He''s guaranteed first team football for the next 6 years easily, especially if he keeps on improving, which he will.

The only way I could see him leaving is if we get relegated - then we wouldn''t deserve a player of his calibre.

As was discussed on an earlier thread, from Ruddy''s perspective it must be a no-brainer if he has opportunity to move to Chelsea. Likely he would secure his family financially for life and, as we saw here last season, injury and or form may propel him to the first team.

If he were to leave imo we would need a new number one. Forster, for example, would me a more than adequate replacement assuming he wished to come and Celtic were willing to release.

[quote user="priceyrice"]

Agree 100% Purple, my point perhaps wasn''t so clear. What I was indicating was that we did ok with Bunny in goal for the majority of the season, therefore if we sold Ruddy we can replace him with someone better than Bunn and realistically we wont suffer too much as a result.

[/quote]

Fine. Concord on a message-board!!![:D]

We don''t know what his contract says, but its not inconceivable for it to include a minimum transfer amount, especially if a so called top 4 team like Chelsea cone calling.

£10m for a goalkeeper would be a very good price. If Chelsea and Mourinho really were interested however, I simply cannot see how he can opt to turn that down. The chance to cement his England place in top PL and European games? As much as I would want him to stay, I''d be surprised if he did.

Fraser Forster, Alex McCarthy, Ali Al Habsi all realistic potential replacements in my book.

I can''t believe so many posters are saying £10 million is a good price. Yes, he''s a goalkeeper but he has a very long contract. Is his value going to increase or decrease in the next season or two? Let''s keep hold of him and sell him on for a higher price in a couple of years if he wants to go. It would be really short-sighted to let him go now.

He did look great last season but also was out injured for over half of it so you have to factor in how "irreplaceable" he is into that.  I agree with the comments that Bunn did pretty well in goal, my feeling is that Ruddy would''ve made a few saves when Bunn conceded, there''s no way to know.

And definitely we''d need a new first choice starter to come in. For me it all comes down to whether we can buy a replacement of similar calibre and have a decent amount of the £10m left over.

the source is ''give me football'' - forget about its veracity.

And in general, I don''t see Ruddy wanting to be effectively third in the pecking order, no matter how good the club is.

He''s worth more than this price for us. Look how shit we were without him last season.

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]I can''t believe so many posters are saying £10 million is a good price. Yes, he''s a goalkeeper but he has a very long contract. Is his value going to increase or decrease in the next season or two? Let''s keep hold of him and sell him on for a higher price in a couple of years if he wants to go. It would be really short-sighted to let him go now.
[/quote]

Unless we finish top 4, or maybe win a cup in which he''s MOM in a few games along the run, I don''t see Ruddy''s value changing at all.  He''s highly unlikely to dislodge Hart from the England no.1 jersey, especially as he''s playing for a top team and also CL.  Also, when you consider one of the games top goalkeeping prospects, De Gea, he moved to Man U for around 16mil and he was under 20. 

If all this transfer speculation/bids etc had happened 4 or 5 weeks ago, we could''ve got Steklenberg who''d have been a good replacement and for a good price.  However, I can''t for 1 second believe that we can''t replace Ruddy with someone as good, or better for £10mil...

For me bumm cost us 4-6 points last season at least.

Good back up but no ruddy.

We would have to find a new no.1 and that might turn out to be the biggest signing of the summer if ruddy goes.

I think he will stay, if cech was 2 years older i thik he might be tempted.

[quote user="jed exodous"]

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]I can''t believe so many posters are saying £10 million is a good price. Yes, he''s a goalkeeper but he has a very long contract. Is his value going to increase or decrease in the next season or two? Let''s keep hold of him and sell him on for a higher price in a couple of years if he wants to go. It would be really short-sighted to let him go now.
[/quote]

Unless we finish top 4, or maybe win a cup in which he''s MOM in a few games along the run, I don''t see Ruddy''s value changing at all.  He''s highly unlikely to dislodge Hart from the England no.1 jersey, especially as he''s playing for a top team and also CL.  Also, when you consider one of the games top goalkeeping prospects, De Gea, he moved to Man U for around 16mil and he was under 20. 

If all this transfer speculation/bids etc had happened 4 or 5 weeks ago, we could''ve got Steklenberg who''d have been a good replacement and for a good price.  However, I can''t for 1 second believe that we can''t replace Ruddy with someone as good, or better for £10mil...

[/quote]

Let''s have some names then.