Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Brigham

John Ruddy must stay

Hello,here''s my latest PinkUn blog on why Ruddy should stay and why Chelsea''s bid is distasteful. The Holloaks story is true ...

If you want, you can follow me at Twitter @cricketer_dan, where you can also find the blogs I write for The Cricketer, which is my day job. Even if you don''t like cricket it is the Ashes ...

Anyway here''s the blog ...

A friend of mine was waiting for a drink at a bar a few years ago. She was minding her own business. Next to her stood an actor from Hollyoaks, who tried chatting her up.

After being ignored, he came out with “Don’t you know who I am?” When she told him she had a boyfriend he came back with “well he isn’t famous, is he, like me”. After that charming approach failed, he went for what he seemed sure would be the clincher: he showed my friend his wallet, and, smirking, pulled out a wad of £50 notes.

My friend then told the man from Hollyoaks where to go and walked off.

You probably know where this is going. For pig-headed, arrogant, cash-flashing Hollyoaks actor read pig-headed, arrogant, cash-flashing Chelsea. For my friend, read John Ruddy (who, being a footballer and having lived around Liverpool, has probably also been chatted up by someone from Hollyoaks at some point).

Chelsea haven’t been quiet about their intentions. They want someone for back-up to Peter Cech, which essentially means they want Ruddy as their bit on the side. Their approach is as bullying as the Hollyoaks loser. First comes the “don’t you know who we are, we’ve won the Champions League.” Next will come the “we’re much bigger than the club you play for. Who is it again? Norfolk Rovers?”. Then finally, the wallet moment, when a small but wildly lucrative amount of Roman Abramovich’s curiously acquired fortune is offered.

So what will Ruddy do? Will he do a Ross Turnbull, who couldn’t resist the glow emerging from Chelsea’s wallet, or will he do a Jack Butland, who spurned the offer of no-team football at Chelsea for first-team football by joining Stoke instead?

Some people want a cushy, easy life. There are lot of people who would be happy to be paid a lot of money to go into training for a couple of hours a day, sit on a bench and go home. That’s fine. Steve Harper did that for 20 years and was loved by the Newcastle fans, despite making an average of 7.85 appearances a year. One day someone will tell him about the transfer system and he’ll reply with a look of wonder and regret in his eyes: “You mean I could have moved?”

Yet, while Harper was adored, Turnball’s name is used as an example of greed over ambition. Right now, despite Chelsea’s offers being turned down, Ruddy will be stewing over these things. It’s not a black and white decision, it''s not as simple as greed v ambition.

As a successful, professional sportsman Ruddy will back his ability to become Chelsea’s no.1. He will also get to watch Champions League football from the bench rather than from his sofa, which is a sort of step up for him. Although, not that I''ve been to Ruddy''s house, but I image he has a decent settee and central heating, which means watching from his sofa will definitely be the more comfortable and warmer option, anyway.

He will also know that, as much as he may well believe he could become Chelsea’s first-choice goalkeeper, it’s unlikely to happen this season. And this season runs up to the next World Cup. Roy Hodgson won’t pick a goalkeeper who has had very little game time. Ruddy will also know that working directly with Dave Watson at Norwich can only enhance his chances of an England spot.

While Ruddy stews this over, he might also want to consider just how distasteful bidding £7m for a third-choice goalkeeper is. Think about it. Seven Million English pounds! It’s depressing that football has reached the stage where clubs are capable of paying that kind of money for someone who they will then prevent from doing the job he is paid to do. It''s like paying over the odds for a cleaner and then telling them to just sit on your sofa.

It also highlights the contempt Premier League clubs have for the English national side. First Chelsea attempted to ruin the career of Butland, England''s most promising goalkeeper, and now they''re trying to do the same with Ruddy.

The timing of Chelsea''s bid also reveals a striking indictment of the gulf between teams in the Premier League. Chelsea can afford to pay £7m for an England player to become their third-choice keeper. Meanwhile, in the same position, Norwich are apparently thinking about bringing in 39-year-old Carlo Nash, who, with a name like that, really should have thought about becoming a designer-stubbled, white-suited, maverick Miami detective rather than a goalkeeper. Norwich might have finished just eight places below Chelsea last season, but, with that gulf in buying power, it may as well have been 8,000.

So Ruddy, for the sake of your career, for the sake of the Premier League, for the sake of the English national team and, let’s face it, for the sake of Norwich, please tell Chelsea where to go.

Everything in that blog is logical and sensible, and really it should be a no-brainer for Ruddy.

Unfortunately, footballers today live in a rather isolated world of their own, remote and shielded from the real life that the rest of us lead. It only takes the serpent-like words of an agent, to turn the average footballer''s head, and lead him into a disastrous decision (but one that makes the agent a lot of money)

Heres hoping it won''t happen.

Ruddy comes across as pretty level headed and i''m sure he would choose footballing reasons over money anyday. I can see him moving on to a bigger club but still feel he has at least a couple of seasons left here. Where Big Dec will step in and take the PL by storm.

[quote user="morty"]Just said on SSN that Ruddy has said he wants to leave.
[/quote]

I can''t see that on SSN. Have you got a link please??

[quote user="Vazzza"][quote user="morty"]Just said on SSN that Ruddy has said he wants to leave.
[/quote]

I can''t see that on SSN. Have you got a link please??[/quote]

Don''t worry, found it: -

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11709/8809461/Transfer-News-Norwich-keeper-John-Ruddy-fancies-a-move-to-Chelsea

No quotes from Ruddy himself, hopefully thats just a journo making stuff up!

[quote user="Vazzza"][quote user="morty"]Just said on SSN that Ruddy has said he wants to leave.[/quote]I can''t see that on SSN. Have you got a link please??[/quote]No, they were discussing it on the telly and the pundit said (or along these lines)"Norwich do not want Ruddy to leave, and although he hasn''t put a transfer request in yet, he has said he wants to leave"

[quote user="Vazzza"]

[quote user="Vazzza"][quote user="morty"]Just said on SSN that Ruddy has said he wants to leave.[/quote]I can''t see that on SSN. Have you got a link please??[/quote]Don''t worry, found it: -http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11709/8809461/Transfer-News-Norwich-keeper-John-Ruddy-fancies-a-move-to-ChelseaNo quotes from Ruddy himself, hopefully thats just a journo making stuff up!

[/quote]Aye, hope so[Y]

Seems pretty speculative, especially ''interested in''. Of course he''ll be interested in moving to Chelsea, who wouldn''t be. Could be 1% interested, could be 50% interested. If he was 100% interested he would have put in a transfer request.

Don''t do it Ruddy.

For me, this is a worry.

I just can''t see his thinking if this is true. He''l play second fiddle to Cech and everyone knows because Chelsea have come out and said they need a back up goalie and to sort out their quota.

Then when Cech eventually leaves he''l play back up to Courtois. Why would he leave? Why does he think it''l be better for him there?

If he leaves, then I think it does say a lot about his character. All about the pounds signs.

Today''s DIRECT quote from Hughton:

Hughton also made it clear Norwich are not interested in offloading their best players with persistent speculation around the futures of John Ruddy and Grant Holt. Hughton had a simple response when questioned if the club had received a firm bid for either.

“No, and probably if there was I wouldn’t say

Now, can we stop all the panic please?

In my opinion the main reason why Chelsea want Ruddy is because he''s English and I believe that you have to have at least 8 English players in the squad. Of course all the big teams tend to have foreigners now.

Ruddy is only 24 and doing really well for us at the moment. Cech is better than Ruddy but he is 31 and so has more experience. Cech will probably retire in about 5 years time though. If Ruddy stays with us, he will get more experience which should improve his performance even more. If Ruddy goes to Chelsea now, he would probably ruin his career - he would have to wait until Cech goes and by that time he would have lost his experience though being a bench warmer instead of a first team regular

[quote user="Wiz"]

Hughton also made it clear Norwich are not interested in offloading their best players with persistent speculation around the futures of John Ruddy and Grant Holt. Hughton had a simple response when questioned if the club had received a firm bid for either.

[/quote]Cant pick and choose when you believe Hughton and when you dont Wiz [;)]

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Cant pick and choose when you believe Hughton and when you dont Wiz [;)]

[/quote]

I never thought he was a liar..............do you?

Well written Daniel. The blog sums up the debate perfectly.

Let''s hope Ruddy chooses football over having more shiney shineys.

Ruddy will go, we can''t see off interest from a club like Chelsea.If he ends up taking Cechs place which is possible, hes got to be nailed on for englands No 1, he will be living on the kings road and double / treble his money living in the capital.Yeah sure hes going to stay at Norwich .....P.S I would love him to stay

If anyone seriously thinks he won''t go is deluded, the only way he won''t leave is if the club have the right contract without a "get out clause".

Put yourself in his shoes, all this talk of third choice keeper is wrong, next season he will be No.2 as Courtois is out again on loan and all it takes is an injury and he is in with a chance to prove himself, added to that, they will likely double his salary without even thinking about, would any of you seriously turn that down if in that situation?

Playing for your country is no longer the driver for players, it''s all about the money and how many times have the big clubs pulled their players from squads because mysterious illnesses or injuries, or just because they can!!

Face the facts guys, he is off. I just hope we get a large amount of money and someone in either on loan or as part of the deal.

Just my views though......

Chelsea offered Butland a contract in January but he turned it down because he wanted to play regularly. Butland''s got a much better chance of playing for Stoke than he has for Chelsea

Then Butland is one of those few players that puts football before money, there have been others but not many, lets hope Ruddy is the same but the quotes today about wanting to go are ominous to say the least!!

Dave Watson may well be the decider, only he will know whether England pick players playing regularly or those with ability, you would assume it would be those playing regularly as I''d worry if England picked players that didn''t.

One thing for certain, the only person that actually knows what he wants or thinks is Ruddy himself, which of course only leaves us to debate.....

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]Ruddy will go, we can''t see off interest from a club like Chelsea.If he ends up taking Cechs place which is possible, hes got to be nailed on for englands No 1, he will be living on the kings road and double / treble his money living in the capital.Yeah sure hes going to stay at Norwich .....P.S I would love him to stay [/quote]
Which would be a huge gamble if he has serious sights on being England''s keeper. Bench warmers tend not to get the nod. Getting the number 1 berth at Chelsea is possible as you say but I would suggest unlikely.

If they are going to play him then fair enough for the lad, otherwise I think he''ll in all likelihood be kissing his career goodbye. When a top team wants to replace a first choice goalkeeper they buy one at the point, they don''t usually bring in the No.2. Would be a very stupid move, stay and play first team football and if Chelsea want him when they need a new first choice then go.

It will all depend on how much Ruddy wants to secure his and his families future vs playing regularly.At 70k a week, he''d make 10 mil (before tax) on a 3 year deal and be setup for life regardless of how many games he''s played.I find it very hard to accept that apart from players who have already made their fortune, that the rest wouldn''t take this offer in a heartbeat and stuff the playing time/England chances etc.I actually think that if you look at the situation dispassionately and as a non-football fan, he''d be absolutely bonkers NOT to sign for Chelsea and the extra money that the switch would give him. Plus there is the outside chance that he could displace Cech, or simple take over for the season if there''s a serious early injury.Money talks people, we may not like it, we may not always agree with it, but truthfully 99% of us would likely go for the money given the same scenario...

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"] If they are going to play him then fair enough for the lad, otherwise I think he''ll in all likelihood be kissing his career goodbye.[/quote]You know what, I''d kiss ANY career goodbye if someone offered me 10 mil or more to do so...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"] If they are going to play him then fair enough for the lad, otherwise I think he''ll in all likelihood be kissing his career goodbye.[/quote]
You know what, I''d kiss ANY career goodbye if someone offered me 10 mil or more to do so...
[/quote]

Me too, but then I don''t earn the sort of money John Ruddy does. If I was earning over 500K a year in wages, actually playing, doing the job I love, chance of going to the world cup aswell as a huge likelihood of a big transfer in the future. I''d stay put.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Vazzza"][quote user="morty"]Just said on SSN that Ruddy has said he wants to leave.[/quote]I can''t see that on SSN. Have you got a link please??[/quote]No, they were discussing it on the telly and the pundit said (or along these lines)"Norwich do not want Ruddy to leave, and although he hasn''t put a transfer request in yet, he has said he wants to leave"[/quote]the pundit is talking crap just to get a response... and he''s got one..Sky Sports "understood" Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was our new manager once too..mickey mouse news company.. take no notice..Ruddy will be here in May.