Sign in to follow this  
SeattleCanary

Garrido and Olsson

Assuming we sign Olsson for the LB position, does anyone else find it a really strange situation to be in where we have signed potentially the first and second choice players in a position in the same transfer window??

I mean we obviously aren''t looking for a player that is "worse" than Garrido, so he can be justified as a back up. We are looking for competition in places and adding quality not quantity.

But what do you think each player was promised by Chris Hughton? Surely he can''t promise first team football, and the fact that Garrido was made permanent after playing so successfully on loan last season, surely we wouldn''t be replacing him after only signing him officially a few days ago?

What is everyones take on this??

We''d have two players who''d know if they didn''t perform, the other would step in and take their place.  Healthy competition I say.

If I was Hughton I would make it clear to them they have to compete for the place. I would start with Garrido at LB though as he earned it from last season.

Oh yeah well that''s a given! But if Olsson has a choice on which club to go to surely he''d want reassurance that he''d be leaving his current employers for game time??

With Redmond its different because he is still young I''m sure he knows he has much to learn, and will be an impact sub. But Olsson isn''t "young" a la Redmond and is an international player. Surely to lure him here over the Russian club he''d want to know he''s at least going to get game time?

That''s what i was thinking Morison! Garrido earned it from last season and pre season isn''t enough to truly reflect that that should change. So Olsson would surely know he''s coming in as 2nd choice to try and dislodge Garrido, right? I wonder what the Russian club are offering opportunities wise for him.

Martin Olsson has also played left midfield a fair bit for Blackburn, particularly under Sam Allardyce when he broke into the team. Could it be that Olsson would also serve as competition/cover for left midfield? 

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]Martin Olsson has also played left midfield a fair bit for Blackburn, particularly under Sam Allardyce when he broke into the team. Could it be that Olsson would also serve as competition/cover for left midfield? [/quote]

Possibly NewBoy, but don''t we now have Pilks, Redmond and Surman in that position? 4 would be a bit much

Well perhaps that is the idea, Surman would seem like one the obvious candidates to sacrifice for room in the 25 and perhaps signing a left back who can play left wing is the obvious way to make room in the squad without leaving yourself short on the left. 
I actually quite like Surman but the reality is that he is championship standard - just like Simeon Jackson and Elliott Ward - and he is way too injury prone to be worth keeping in the final 25 as a squad player. 
Wouldn''t surprise me to see Ayala, Barnett, and Fox deemed surplus to requirements too, either sold or loaned out, although we need more depth in the middle before letting Fox go. Butterfield will probably be out on loan again too. 

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]Well perhaps that is the idea, Surman would seem like one the obvious candidates to sacrifice for room in the 25 and perhaps signing a left back who can play left wing is the obvious way to make room in the squad without leaving yourself short on the left. 
I actually quite like Surman but the reality is that he is championship standard - just like Simeon Jackson and Elliott Ward - and he is way too injury prone to be worth keeping in the final 25 as a squad player. 
Wouldn''t surprise me to see Ayala, Barnett, and Fox deemed surplus to requirements too, either sold or loaned out, although we need more depth in the middle before letting Fox go. Butterfield will probably be out on loan again too. 
[/quote]

You could be right. Although someone made an argument that Surman is one of the very few technically skilled players that we have in the same ilk as Hoolahan with the ability for a threaded pass. He played a lot in our first Prem season, and scored vital goals too. Had it not been for a bad injury, he surely would have featured more last season too, so i don''t believe that he is Championship standard. More down to bad luck than anything. I suppose only CH knows the answer to all this!

Plus didn''t he sign a new contract only last summer? I think his absence through injury, and thus lack of game time is the only thing that has sparked off people suggesting he would leave. I don''t see him going anywhere tbh

Having signed Garrido I personally would prefer to see a younger cheaper player brought in as his back up. A very decent prospect such as young Cresswell of Ipswich could probably be had for nearer £3m and, as their current star player and player of the season, would seem a good fit as he would  more likely  settle into the role behind Javier comfortably for the immediate future. His wages would, I assume, be less of a demand than Olsson''s. 

A certain retraction due here as I have just discovered that Olsson is, at 25, just one year in advance of Aaron Cresswell. It seems that the former has been around for much longer.

The other factors re: cost and wages still apply.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

A certain retraction due here as I have just discovered that Olsson is, at 25, just one year in advance of Aaron Cresswell. It seems that the former has been around for much longer.

The other factors re: cost and wages still apply.

[/quote]
That would mean giving money to Ipswich though, and giving them some partial relief from their current state of misery, that money could even prolong their stay in the Championship and allow them to avoid relegation. With that in mind I think we should tap him up, persuade him not to sign a new contract, and snap him up on a freebie whenever his contract expires :)

The signing of Garrido was out of Hughton''s hands. The loan agreement between Norwich and Lazio stated that if Garrido played more than 25 games Norwich had to sign him on a permanent contract.

For me, Olsson is a better player than Garrido and I''d imagine he will be the starting left-back against Everton (if he signs).

If we spin this the other way round, I''m sure that if Olsson was our first choice LB that we''d be more than happy with Garrido coming in for 2mil as cover/competition for the job, so if this deal does go through it''s a win/win situation IMHO, and 2 mil for Garrido was a good deal regardless of whether or not we ''had'' to buy him IMHO.

I have never seen Olsson play, - I must admit, but from reports he likes to get forward, and this part of his game may be stronger than defensive aspects. It could be that Garrido has a slight edge on this, and perhaps in his crossing. From all accounts, however, Olsson seems to be quicker, which is a big advantage when the winger tries to go past you on the outside. They both have experience of playing the Premiership.

It remains to be seen which will catch CH''s eye for the LB berth. If Olsson comes and establishes himself quickly, I think it possible that Garrido''s appearances could be limited.

IMO, it would be reasonable competition for the LB spot. Olsson does have excellent pace and would offer a ''wing-back'' type option if CH wants to go that way. Garrido is more of a conventional FB with excellent crossing skills. It may be a case of choosing which option depending on the opposition.

[quote user="Salopian"]

I have never seen Olsson play, - I must admit, but from reports he likes to get forward, and this part of his game may be stronger than defensive aspects. It could be that Garrido has a slight edge on this, and perhaps in his crossing. From all accounts, however, Olsson seems to be quicker, which is a big advantage when the winger tries to go past you on the outside. They both have experience of playing the Premiership.

It remains to be seen which will catch CH''s eye for the LB berth. If Olsson comes and establishes himself quickly, I think it possible that Garrido''s appearances could be limited.

[/quote]

You may have done! He played all three games for Sweden in last summer Euros, including against England. And I think he played against us for Blackburn in that 3-3 draw at Carrow Road.  My memory is that he is pretty quick. One of those low-centre-of-gravity players.