Sign in to follow this  
Theyellowwolf

Ruddy's successor (what if?)

There are lots of rumours of our beloved goalkeeper being tempted by the prospect of playing for Chelsea....(well back up keeper). If the worst was to happen and Ruddy does force his way out of Norwich, and Norwich have to end up accepting a bid of around £10m, who would you like Hughton to sign as his successor?Some Possibilites:Kasper SchmeichelFraser Forster Alex SmithiesMaksym KovalBernd LenoDavid Marshall (again)I''m sure there are many more possibilites, so why not discuss who you would like to see between the posts if Ruddy was to leave.

[quote user="Theyellowwolf"]There are lots of rumours of our beloved goalkeeper being tempted by the prospect of playing for Chelsea....(well back up keeper). If the worst was to happen and Ruddy does force his way out of Norwich, and Norwich have to end up accepting a bid of around £10m, who would you like Hughton to sign as his successor?Some Possibilites:Kasper SchmeichelFraser Forster Alex SmithiesMaksym KovalBernd LenoDavid Marshall (again)I''m sure there are many more possibilites, so why not discuss who you would like to see between the posts if Ruddy was to leave.[/quote]

McCarthy of Reading has got some good notices, and would cost less than whatever we would receive for Ruddy.

A first post or just a new user name?

For me it would be great to see Fraser Forster back, big imposing unit.......BUT unfortunately not as good as Ruddy, just hope its all rumour despite me actually thinking there is something in this one.

Bunn did a decent job as back-up and could do the same again I''m sure, but ideally we need a more commanding (by that I mean in the box and on crosses and corners like Ruddy, crucial at this level) GK longer term...would cost though.  

Was Bunn really that badNow he certainly isn''t Ruddy but...I''m sure if he was given another half a season he would become a very good Prem keeper

Not keen on many of those options, Fraser Forster aside. The Reading keeper McCarthy looked decent apart from his kicking which looked absolutely shocking.

I honestly think we will struggle if Ruddy leaves. We''d have to spend £10m to get a keeper of equal quality and keeper worth £10m wouldn''t want to come to Norwich. If Bunn''s our number 1 then we are down. Simple.

Going to go with my Football Manager transfer history and say Alphonse Areola, 20 years old and 3rd choice at PSG, so would probably be a season-long loan at best when I think we need someone fully transferred. Language problems would also be a problem, but Bassong would be able to help him organise things.Anyway, we''ll end up going with Bunn or getting Paul Robinson.

Wow MorisonThis has to be one of the worst posts I have ever read.You

are basing our entire season on the fact Bunn (who played more games

than Ruddy last season and helped keep us in the league) (Qpr penalty

save / Swansea saves etc) being our number 1 will get us relegated...Really.... REALLY...This Forum does like it''s negativity doesn''t it !

McCarthy hasn''t had 30 first team matches for Reading and, apart from a couple of good games, as all keepers do from time to time, has looked nothing more than average.

He didn''t set the world on fire whilst at Ipswich.

It''s how I feel, we only just rated up and had Ruddy stayed fit we would almost definitely have finished I te top half. You can''t deny that we would need a new number one that isn''t Bunn.

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"][quote user="Fozzie"]Going to go with my Football Manager transfer history and say Alphonse Areola, [/quote]i dunno he sounds like a bit of a tit[/quote]He''s had his knockers, I grant you that.

Interesting player raised in Schwarzer, no doubting he has the ability and the experience, but has age finally caught up with him for another whole season between the sticks.

I like Bunn but not commanding enough, where we struggled a little last year was when we were backs to the wall, he generally did a great job for us but I would want someone bigger or more experienced at this level.

Complete left-field but what about Shay Given, certainly isn''t required at Villa anymore!!

The person I have previously mentioned as a possible successor to Ruddy, in the still unlikely event that he leaves, is Stephane Ruffier.

Incredibly talented keeper. Question is, could we tempt him away from St Etienne?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okdvHPpZ3wo

[quote user="Militant Canary"]The person I have previously mentioned as a possible successor to Ruddy, in the still unlikely event that he leaves, is Stephane Ruffier.

Incredibly talented keeper. Question is, could we tempt him away from St Etienne?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okdvHPpZ3wo[/quote]Rumours had Arsenal, Monaco and AC Milan tracking him, and supposedly valued at 9m Euros. We could give it a go, I suppose...

Since when did Ruddy become irreplaceable???There are plenty of good keepers across Europe that we could bring in for a sensible price and the rest of the money would then go a long way towards getting that new midfielder or striker that CH wants.

[quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]Interesting player raised in Schwarzer, no doubting he has the ability and the experience, but has age finally caught up with him for another whole season between the sticks.

I like Bunn but not commanding enough, where we struggled a little last year was when we were backs to the wall, he generally did a great job for us but I would want someone bigger or more experienced at this level.

Complete left-field but what about Shay Given, certainly isn''t required at Villa anymore!![/quote]

I wouldnt mind a experienced player for a season, we can then see how Rudd''s development has come along, maybe even a cheeky bid for Brad Friedel.

Ruddy is a good keeper and clearly the starting point is that we would ideally keep him, but there are plenty of decent keepers about and he is far from irreplaceable. If he does get his head turned, the job is to fleece as much from Chelsea as possible - they need him as he''s English so we can hopefully get a premium on him.

As to a replacement, each PL side has a decent second choice keeper who we might pick up, there''s decent keepers in the Champs, and then there''s plenty abroad. We should be able to pick one up with change to spare.

He''s not gonna play for BRAzil but I wouldn''t turn down taking a look at him.

Tally Hall of Houston Dynamo has heen called up to the US national team so would be worth considering.

I think the point is that if we look about there''s plenty of possibles. Ruddy is ours and we want to keep him, but it seems the main thing driving Chelsea''s interest is his nationality and that is something we not need worry about.

As others have said, Schwarzer is clubless at the mo off the back of playing 30+ games last season - with no fee we could do a lot lot worse for a season and then have Rudd ready.

This guy would be my pick

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/piet-velthuizen/profil/spieler_30585.html

Sorry Reading but a whole season with Bunn in goal does not fill me with confidence!

He is a useful stand in, but no more.

Snake

I like Koval but I think Dynamo would ask for a pretty hefty fee