Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Shay Given to Celtic?

A bloke who drinks in my local reckons that Shay Given is going to end up at Celtic, this bloke is a huge hoops fan so I guess he will have his ear to the ground. With Given on so much money even with a substantial pay cut he isn''t going to be going there as backup is he? 
Given is a Celtic fan apparently, and was in their youth system. If this is true, and I have no idea whether it is or not, then that would mean they expect Fraser Forster to be leaving.... if Ruddy to Chelsea is genuine, and lets be honest I think most of us believe it to be, then surely this may well be part of the loop which started with Steer going to Villa? 
Is also inevitable that Celtic will sign a high profile Irish player of some description to placate fans who are unhappy at seeing Paddy McCourt leaving? Anyway thought I''d share, not usually one to spread rumours but this one sounded plausible.

He''s not my friend, he''s an Irishman that happens to frequent my local. No idea how he heard it but he''s a member of some big Celtic supporters clubs so whether he has heard general gossip or has some real ITK I have no idea, but not so sure that it sounds ''convoluted'', if that means ''complicated'' like I think it does, if anything it sounds too obvious to be true. 

I just posted this elsewhere - it was quite widely reported fairly recently that Given was being frozen out at Vanilla and a potential destination was for him to be loaned to Celtic if/when FF moves. He is on rather a big salary for us, £3m pa (probably more than AV want, now, too) and with 3 years on his contract....the figures to buy it out etc could be pretty big.

If only Norwich played hard ball like Celtic eh?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/411728/Neil-Lennon-issues-hands-off-warning-over-Celtic-keeper-Fraser-Forster

Yes convoluted is similar to complicated. For the entire plan to unfold as you suggest in the OP seems too convoluted to actually play out.

On a lighter side, re: the title, is Shay going to be Given to Celtic?

[quote user="walks on water"]If only Norwich played hard ball like Celtic eh?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/411728/Neil-Lennon-issues-hands-off-warning-over-Celtic-keeper-Fraser-Forster[/quote]
Those warnings roughly translate into: "He ain''t going cheap". Then when they get sold the manager or chairman will say "he weren''t for sale but then he asked to leave, no point in keeping an unhappy player at the club". Most things said in football are empty and meaningless. 

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Yes convoluted is similar to complicated. For the entire plan to unfold as you suggest in the OP seems too convoluted to actually play out.

On a lighter side, re: the title, is Shay going to be Given to Celtic?[/quote]
Seems pretty simple to me. Chelsea want Ruddy, they pay our price, they get Ruddy, who is a Chelsea fan. In the meantime we are working on getting our replacement lined up, probably because we don''t want to announce his departure until we have a replacement to announce at the same time. We agree a price with Celtic, and Ruddy and Forster then switch clubs. Celtic are left with a big wedge of cash and sign the huge Celtic fan that has always wanted to play for their club on a freebie, Lambert gets rid of a player that he desperately wants to get off the payroll (Given is currently training with the youth team). Sounds perfectly feasible to me. 

If this exact chain of events does unfold then I will regret not claiming to be ''in the know'' with a top secret high profile source. A random little drunk Irishman doesn''t sound quite as good. 

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="walks on water"]If only Norwich played hard ball like Celtic eh?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/411728/Neil-Lennon-issues-hands-off-warning-over-Celtic-keeper-Fraser-Forster[/quote]
Those warnings roughly translate into: "He ain''t going cheap"./div>[/quote]

EXACTLY!

As (ultimately) we are the ''selling'' club, and John Ruddy is SO important to us, then minted Chelsea should pay the value we place upon him. I do admire Lennon and Celtic in how they won''t be pushed around on transfers.

Sorry newboy, the '' Given to Celtic if/when FF leaves '' story was doing the rounds nearly a month ago. It isn''t new, but only now has a possible ''slant'' involving us.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-shay-given-1944871

"As (ultimately) we are the ''selling'' club, and John Ruddy is SO

important to us, then minted Chelsea should pay the value we place upon

him."

not if there is a minimum clause fee in his contract - if there is then he will go for that amount

" I do admire Lennon and Celtic in how they won''t be pushed around on

transfers."or maybe they are already being ''pushed around'' and pressured, otherwise they wouldn''t need to feel the meed to make such statements

Well yes, if JR has a release clause then there''s nothing we can do.

...as for your second point; obviously our pursuit of Hooper in January springs to mind

Why is it that the mention of Fraser Forster in an op makes me  think of  people wishing to relive the past?    I know it wasn''t said directly, but wishing FF back here would not be something I would wish for.   Going back to a club you were at previously doesn''t often work.  Anyway we won''t need him as Ruddy is not going anywhere, imo.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]A bloke who drinks in my local reckons that Shay Given is going to end up at Celtic, this bloke is a huge hoops fan so I guess he will have his ear to the ground. With Given on so much money even with a substantial pay cut he isn''t going to be going there as backup is he? 

Given is a Celtic fan apparently, and was in their youth system. If this is true, and I have no idea whether it is or not, then that would mean they expect Fraser Forster to be leaving.... if Ruddy to Chelsea is genuine, and lets be honest I think most of us believe it to be, then surely this may well be part of the loop which started with Steer going to Villa? 

Is also inevitable that Celtic will sign a high profile Irish player of some description to placate fans who are unhappy at seeing Paddy McCourt leaving? Anyway thought I''d share, not usually one to spread rumours but this one sounded plausible.

[/quote]

Hang on there New Boy, a fair few of us believe otherwise!

[quote user="lake district canary"] Why is it that the mention of Fraser Forster in an op makes me  think of  people wishing to relive the past?    I know it wasn''t said directly, but wishing FF back here would not be something I would wish for.   Going back to a club you were at previously doesn''t often work.  Anyway we won''t need him as Ruddy is not going anywhere, imo.[/quote]
Not sure where you got that impression, I don''t want Ruddy to leave if that''s what you mean, but Fraser Forster is an excellent keeper and I can''t think of too many other worthy candidates. 

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="TheNewBoy"]A bloke who drinks in my local reckons that Shay Given is going to end up at Celtic, this bloke is a huge hoops fan so I guess he will have his ear to the ground. With Given on so much money even with a substantial pay cut he isn''t going to be going there as backup is he? 

[/quote]

Hang on there New Boy, a fair few of us believe otherwise!

[/quote]
Right, and how does that conflict with my statement? "most of us" + "a fair few" seem perfectly compatible to me. 

At face value the series of moves makes sense but when you factor in ifs ands & buts (like the minimum clause thingy) it does become much less likely to play out as you imagine due to the complexies involved. Put it this way, what are the betting odds for hitting that trifecta?

[quote user="Houston Canary"]At face value the series of moves makes sense but when you factor in ifs ands & buts (like the minimum clause thingy) it does become much less likely to play out as you imagine due to the complexies involved. Put it this way, what are the betting odds for hitting that trifecta?[/quote]
The rumoured shared was that Given might be heading to Celtic. That''s the rumour. Chances of that being right? Who knows. The realisation that Given would only be going to Celtic if Forster left was a mere afterthought. Forster could well be going anywhere, we know that Sunderland now need a keeper and have £9m banked - and that''s very close to where Forster was born and raised. We also know that Chelsea are in the market for an English goalkeeper to meet their homegrown quota. The drunk Irishman didn''t claim insight into a complex chain of transfers, only that Given was off to Celtic, the rest was purely theoretical/hypothetical. 

Whilst I, like most, do not want Ruddy to go, FF is a plausible replacement.

I know that he was very keen upon a return to us when on loan to Celtic and unless things have changed his partner/wife is a Norwich girl.

There isn''t really that much to see here in general terms: the idea is simply that Given is being frozen out and Celtic would/could loan him if FF leaves - not just to us, there''s lots of teams reportedly interested.

The story isn''t new at all, only our possible ''role'' in it.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]There isn''t really that much to see here in general terms: the idea is simply that Given is being frozen out and Celtic would/could loan him if FF leaves - not just to us, there''s lots of teams reportedly interested. The story isn''t new at all, only our possible ''role'' in it.[/quote]

2+2=896    [:S]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Whilst I, like most, do not want Ruddy to go, FF is a plausible replacement.

I know that he was very keen upon a return to us when on loan to Celtic and unless things have changed his partner/wife is a Norwich girl.[/quote]

Agreed but the big change is Hughton. Does he rate Forster? Also, does Watson rate Forster. We assume that Forster''s reputation is secure at Norwich but he played under the last regime.

FF was very much a Lambert player. While i rated him as a fine shot stopper during his time here and he has a commanding presence, i don''t see Hughton moving for him. We also have Dave Watson here, i am sure he has a few players in mind if Ruddy does go. Did Butland ever get sold or is he still available?
I also expect Celtic will demand a ridiculous price for FF as they did Hooper, i expect we will steer well away

We already did Steer away to Villa. HAH!

As to the my comment on the complexity of the issue, obviously that was in regards to the entire scenario playing out and not just, Given going to Celtic.