Sign in to follow this  
Vazzza

Your 2nd team?

A lot of my mates support premiership clubs, but also "follow" a 2nd lower league team. Normally because it’s the town they grew up in or happened to see play regularly as a youngster.

I''ve been getting a lot of grief lately as I''ve been spending a lot of my match days at the Emirates. Mainly because I can get tickets easily, and is much easier to get to than Norwich, 1hr instead of 3.5hrs on the train. Add to this that I go up with a group and have a proper lash up, whereas I''d be travelling to Carrow Road by myself, it just makes for a good day out. This is all whilst I''m waiting to get my NCFC season ticket by the way (Quite new to the waiting list so have a while to wait. Once I have the season ticket I''ll meet up with Capital Canaries hopefully and start coming up with them).

As I''ve been watching a lot of Arsenal I have got a soft spot for them, I even went to Germany to watch the Bayern game. I''m still Norwich thru and thru and would never call myself anything other than a Norwich fan. Always support Norwich in the games where they meet, but now even my Dad is giving me stick and got me a bloomin’ Arsenal shirt for my birthday (in jest, its one of those mini ones for the car)

So my question to you all, just to take your mind off silly season for 5 minutes: Do you have a "2nd team", and is it wrong to have a 2nd team in the same league as your first?

I''ll probably get stick for this but I like Celtic.

The atmosphere for that friendly was so good and I really respected the fact that they bought so many down for Drury''s testimonial.

I went up to Celtic Park for the away friendly and bought their home shirt from the club shop.

Arsenal?! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

[img]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ye025iQo1r64g7r.gif[/img]

Mines Ipswich!

[img]http://fireden.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/cage2.gif.gif[/img]

although I now must hang my head in shame.....

Colchester......as I was born there before moving to Civilization when 9

Tottenham ............ the first team I saw play us at Carrow Road.

By coincidence, my first away game was at White Hart Lane. Later, I saw the Sutton-Fox-Ekoku forward line destroy them 3-1 at WHL and had had a freak tenner on that exact result in order to combat my Spurs supporting friend who had bet that on a Tottenham win of that score.

They have also sold us some real stars, from Neighbour through to Mark Bowen.

I dont understand how some of you can have soft spots for other teams in the same league. Benders

[quote user="CDMullins"]Id say you were Arsenal through and through with a soft spot for Norwich to be honest.

[/quote]

I though someone might say that :)

I know I''m not cos when arsenal lose its "oh well, there always next week", when Norwich lose I''m pissed off for the rest of the weekend and get that horrible feelin in the pit of my stomach!!

Having been born in Norwich but grown up in Plymouth, I''ve occasionally gone to matches at Home Park and usually keep an eye on how they''re doing, but I don''t think I could class Plymouth as a second team, as I really don''t care too much if (rather when) they lose!

I am very fliexible with my second team,  usually follow the team that is playing entertaining football or who have exciting players - so it was Arsenal with Bergkamp, Henry in that era,  for a year or so Manure (but generally their football like last season was simply too dull)  and the season before last was Man Citeh.  

Chelseas style continues to bore me although I like Ramires and Mata a lot so never had an urge to follow them.  Last year was a barren one for me with so many clubs doing what ncfc also failed to do - and entertain. 

I keep any eye on Lincoln''s fortunes. I have many fond memories of the City and its people having spent a lot of time there during my life.

I follow Coventry a bit. Live there so been to a few home games. Lousy atmosphere...

[quote user="FatGrant"]I dont understand how some of you can have soft spots for other teams in the same league. Benders
[/quote]

But sometimes it can''t be helped. My mate is QPR and Doncaster (don''t ask why as I''m pretty sure he doesn''t even know). Were PL and L1, now both Champs. Is he supposed to just forget about 1 of them?

Sorry but to me choosing a team is like falling in love, you don''t get to choose, it just happens... (How soppy is that!)

My second team is Norwich Reserves (sorry, U21 development squad!), closely followed by Norwich U18s ;)

2nd team?! Do me a favour!!!!

I don''t have a second team.

I like Spurs, but I don''t follow them like I would Norwich. Don''t even look out for their results at the weekends, but if they''re on, I''ll look forward to watching them.

I don''t have a second team, but being a Geordie and having lived in the North East all my life I do ''follow'' Newcastle.  Not only are Newcastle the nearest ''big'' side to me they are the nearest league side to me.  Likewise with those who live in Norwich, there are in fact very few league sides within 100 miles of me.

On that note just having a brief look at a map for a moment there, I think Carlisle would be better off if they played in the Scottish leagues.  Distance to travel etc, they are good enough for the Scottish First Division and would have periods in the Scottish Premier.

Out of the big 4,5/6 in the PL I''d rather see Arsenal do well, than Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Chelsea etc, but having said that, they are not my second team or anything like that.

I don''t have a ''second team''. City til I die.

But I like to see Brighton do well because I used to live there. AFC Wimbledon because I love the fact they didn''t let Franchise FC kill their club and just started again. Real supporters those guys. And Arsenal, sorry, because they balance their books. The accountant in me respects that.

[quote user="flecky76"]My second team is Norwich Reserves (sorry, U21 development squad!), closely followed by Norwich U18s ;)

2nd team?! Do me a favour!!!![/quote]Spot on flecky.[8]You can''t be true to two.............you can only be true to one.[8]

Cant be arsed travelling 3 and half hourse to watch Norwich, but travelling to Munich to watch your ''second team'' is acceptable?

[quote user="Vazzza"]

[quote user="FatGrant"]I dont understand how some of you can have soft spots for other teams in the same league. Benders
[/quote]

But sometimes it can''t be helped. My mate is QPR and Doncaster (don''t ask why as I''m pretty sure he doesn''t even know). Were PL and L1, now both Champs. Is he supposed to just forget about 1 of them?

Sorry but to me choosing a team is like falling in love, you don''t get to choose, it just happens... (How soppy is that!)

[/quote]

I go along with this statement...up until the age of ten I was a Liverpool fan(probably because they were always on the telly). My poor old Dad was always at work, so could never take me to games anywhere & living in Gorleston couldnt get anywhere on my own. My Uncle used to take me to FCR whenever Liverpool was in town. Then one day I gave a mate of mine some football boots I had outgrown & his Dad offered to take me to a Norwich match, those days you could walk up to a turnstyle pay your 50p & get a good place on the terraces(also women used to pay the same as kids). I fell in love that day, head over heels in love with Norwich City & I have missed only a hand full of games since, that was some 30 years ago. I still have a soft spot for Liverpool,  but my true love is Norwich City they choose me for some reason. They have made me laugh, cry, happy, sad, angry & haven given me greay hair. For 30+ years they have given me one hell of a rollercoaster ride & at times it would have been easier to walk away, but if you truly, deeply love something/someone you always will even if its only a small part of you!!...true love lasts!

[quote user="CDMullins"]Cant be arsed travelling 3 and half hourse to watch Norwich, but travelling to Munich to watch your ''second team'' is acceptable?
[/quote]

Its not just the time involved, but the group. Going to Bayern I was with 4 really good mates (same people I go to Emirates with), we were out there for 4 days so it was a holiday with a football game thrown in, will be my only holiday this year. Was an amazing week and unfortunately, not something I can do as an NCFC fan at present. But believe me, when we get into Europe, I''ll be travelling.

At the moment I don''t fancy doing a 6-7 hour round trip alone. Once I''ve got my season ticket I will be, week in week out, without hesitation as I''d hope I can link up with the Capital Canaries. At the moment though, I''m enjoying the banter and the piss up we have at the Arsenal. If i get could them to do the trip with me each week I''d be at Carrow Road!

I still got to 6 NCFC games last year, admittedly 5 of those were away (and 1 was at the Emirates where i was amongst the Arsenal Fans)...