Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

What is it with singing/chanting?

I am probably what is described as a non descript ''normal'' type middle aged bloke (family/kids/lucky to have a job/goes about my day to day business without anything spectacular happening to me)

When I am at the football, I do join in with some of the singing/chanting.

Why is it, that I see that as ''normal'' and ok for someone like me, to do, yet when it come to Wimbledon, that I cringe when the crowd start chanting their ''Come on Andy, lets go'' song or ''Give us an A..''

Is it because, for the rest of the year, these tennis fans ignore Murray and just want to jump on the bandwagon when he is at ''home''. Yet, football fans are there through thick and thin.

I am trying to understand why?

Can anyone help?

Maybe it''s because you don''t really like tennis and see it as an elitist sport played by middle class children as a break from riding their ponies or croquet.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Nah, I quite like tennis Mr Chops, *Steffi Graf''s legs........................*[/quote]

You cannot be serious.  Back in 1985 maybe. Germany''s latest -

It''s called an atmosphere!

Only applicable to certain areas of Carrow Road so I guess the rest of the ground jumps on the band wagon when we are winning!

Murray isn''t ignored the rest of the year...

Do you want a Wimbledon crowd cheering when he''s playing in France?

Tennis needs some quiet in between points, whereas football is always bedlam. I guess tennis requires more concentration, a bit like golf and probably all individual sports.

I thi k football type chanting is not the done thing at tennis. Aside from a British favourite at Wimbledon, when do you ever hear it (as opposed to just applause and cheering etc. that''s why it makes me cringe at wimbledon