Sign in to follow this  
Snoddys Jockstrap

New captain?

If Holty is out the door, who do you reckon it''ll be?

I''d probably go with Ruddy, but if he goes too then who would you like to see as skipper?

Personally, I think Bassong could do the job, as could Wes whenever he gets a game.

I''d have Martin as he had it several time last season. If not, Bassong or Howson as he had it whilst at Leeds

Russell Martin seems an ''Obvious'' choice but would prefer Bassong. Cant see Martin playing anywhere near as many games as Bassong if Whittaker or A.N other who may come in is fit.

Bassong please. I think Whittaker and Martin will be fighting over that starting point. Bassong is the perfect captain.

Whittaker was fit for at least the last 1/3 of the season, Martin is just better than many seem to give him credit for. And even if (what seems like the majority on here) think Whittaker is better, then Hughton doesn''t appear to.

I would''ve said Bassong for sure until the gun incident a month or two ago. Not really the sort of example you want the captain to be setting.

If he chooses to stay I''d go with Ruddy as a reward for showing loyalty to the club (along with the fact he would be a great captain). If he goes then Snodgrass. The captain should be someone who always plays if fit and I''m not sure we can say that about Martin.

[quote user="Mahogany"]I would''ve said Bassong for sure until the gun incident a month or two ago. Not really the sort of example you want the captain to be setting.

If he chooses to stay I''d go with Ruddy as a reward for showing loyalty to the club (along with the fact he would be a great captain). If he goes then Snodgrass. The captain should be someone who always plays if fit and I''m not sure we can say that about Martin.[/quote]Good point about Ruddy[Y]

Good point, ruddy certainly warrants it as he leads our defence but I do like a voice in the outfield a real general. For me Bassong proved it but def ruddy if he stays should be considered as a ready replacement.

The captain should show passion for the club. Which of our players would stay with the club if we went down? I would hate to see our captain jumping ship if/when that happens.

IMHO, Bassong would almost certainly be one of those players, so Martin for me.

Ruddy or Bassong...anyone who says Keepers make bad CaptainsZoff,Schmeichel,Buffon,Casillas,They haven''t had bad careers have they?

Has to be Bassong for me, is first team starter and probably our most influential player

Russell Martin is exemplary. Talks like an intelligent manager, plays like a passionate, committed pro. He''s experienced it all with Norwich. No finer example to the players and young supporters - seems an easy choice to make.

I think it''s hard to judge who''d be a good captain and I find it interesting that so many people see Bassong or Ruddy as the ideal candidates.

It''s obviously about more than what we see on the pitch for 90 minutes. We don''t really know who the other players respect behind the scenes, who sets an example etc etc

Russell Martin I can see a bit more maybe because he appears to be quite vocal on the pitch and he speaks well when he''s got a mic infront of him.

Not saying any of those guys won''t or shouldn''t be captain just that it''s just that we can''t really have the full picture.

Can only see it being a regular starter so we wont know what the squad will be until the signings have finished - howson martin johnson could all yet find themselves ousted from the regular 11.

I think there are 3 current candidates in Seb, Ruddy and Martin.   Seb is inspirational enough as it is and does not need the extra burden of captaincy - would be very happy with either of the other two with a slight preference for Russ.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]It''ll probably go to Martin. Howson would be a good contender, as would Bassong.[/quote]

Good call GP but my choice would be Bradders.

Well I hope it''s still Grant Holt next season. But......

If I have to choose I''d say Bassong as a first choice because he will play every match available and is probably our best player.

Then Ruddy if he stays. As mentioned above it could be given as a reward for his loyalty, and also because he''s an excellent player and seems the commanding type.

I''d say no to Martin purely because he won''t play every match. But he does have the advantage of being one of the longest serving players, he''s intelligent (for a footballer) and again seems commanding.

[quote user="Jonzey"]Well I hope it''s still Grant Holt next season. But......

If I have to choose I''d say Bassong as a first choice because he will play every match available and is probably our best player.

Then Ruddy if he stays. As mentioned above it could be given as a reward for his loyalty, and also because he''s an excellent player and seems the commanding type.

I''d say no to Martin purely because he won''t play every match. But he does have the advantage of being one of the longest serving players, he''s intelligent (for a footballer) and again seems commanding.[/quote]this thread is a tad previous. with new signings an alternative candidate could emerge, either from the new players, or because a favourite candidate will likely be relegated to the bench. of our present squad, given playing options, i would have to go with Bassong.