Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Martinez is an idiot

Compare and contrast Martinez'' handling of Leighton Baines with Hoot''s handling of Grant Holt last summer.

Martinez - He''s an icon, he''s more than a player, he is "vital to our future."

Hoots - He''s a very good player who has been a big part of what the club has achieved. I''ll talk to him and see how we go from there.

There''s a good reason why you hear it said that "no player is bigger than the club."  Martinez is going to look a proper plum if Baines leaves to join his old boss, which is more than likely. The the club and fans will be feeling screwed given he is "vital to the future of the club."

And what''s going to be more attractive to Leroy Fer - An Everton that came in for him in January minus its iconic (in this case!) manager and without a player who is vital to the club... or a Norwich with compatriot Ricky vW on board and several other exciting up and coming stars?!

He may be an idiot, but, I suspect Everton still have a stronger chance of European qualification than Norwich.

I suspect Norwich will once again be one of the favourites for relegation.

Well we''re 4th favourites according to most sites. I''d imagine that''s with anticipated comings and goings accounted for.

I think we''ll surprise a few people this transfer window, perhaps even more so than when RVW arrived.

how the hell is anyone saying we will be in the relegation mire or aiming for 17th...

if we don''t finish 10th or above then its unacceptable as far as i''m concerned.

Not aiming for 17th, but I get his point. It''d be disappointing but would mean another season on mindblowing income.

Here''s my breakdown:

1st-6th - Astounded! I don''t think it''s reasonably possible so it would massively surpass even the wildest of dreams

7th-10th - Delighted. I would be optimistic and say it''s achievable, but would represent a fantastic season.

11th-14th - Happy, most probably well away from the perils of a relegation battle and maintains our standing

15th-17th - Disappointed but content, as it would bring safety and another year at the top, but also show a backwards step in a year when we finally have a competitive budget.

18th-20th - Devestated, gutted, etc. still somewhat proud we lasted longer than last time, but massively upset that the great journey had come to an end.

Add in a cup run or two, a couple of shock wins vs the ''big boys'' and i''d take anything but relegation.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

how the hell is anyone saying we will be in the relegation mire or aiming for 17th...

if we don''t finish 10th or above then its unacceptable as far as i''m concerned.

[/quote]

I think a few people are getting ahead of themselves. 17th or above is still a successful season as far as I''m concerned. We are still the small fish paying next to no wages in comparison to teams around us. Ok, we are pretty much debt free, but that doesn''t mean we are suddenly going to paying £100,000 a week wages.

If you say we are stronger than the 3 promoted clubs, which should be a gimmie. Everyone else around us is still very similar quality, I don''t know what makes us suddenly a top 10 team. Yes we have and are continuing to strngthen, but so is everyone else. You have to move forwards to stand still, IMO, we haven''t move forwards enough yet to suddenly make us a top half team

The majority of the squad are (on thir day) good Championship Players. There is very little genuine PL quality in the squad.

The teams that finished round about us last season are actively strengthening.

With the possible exception of Palace, I can''t see 3 teams more likely to get relegated than City.

Cardiff have shown the past that they are happy to spend money that they haven''t got, and, Hull have done a pretty good job of keeping their squad in tact since relegation.

I think you''ve taken that to the other extreme '' We Are Not a Selling (or Buying) Club'' :)

I''d say the majoity of our squad a premiership quality now. Ruddy, Martin, Bassong, Turner, Garrido is a prem backline.
Pilks, and Snodgrass are. RVW will hopefully adapt. I think its only really the CM postion that we aren''t Prem quality. But if we are talking top 10 quality, now thats a bit different. I''d narrow that down to Ruddy, Bassong, Snodgrass and hopefully RvW.

Our players are not championship players. They have proven that. I personally will be looking for us to finish mid table this season at worst.

However, other than the 3 promoted clubs every other club in this league will probably be saying the same thing and despite our current (rumoured) spending this summer the likes of Swansea, West Ham and Southampton and spending just as much, if not more. Outside the top 6 this league is becoming more and more even and there is likely to again be very little between the team that finishes 8th and the team that finishes 15th in my opinion.

This will, I''m sure, be a nother season where we strengthen and have a better squad than the previous season, yet struggle to improve on our league position. Thats because unless I am mistaken all of the other clubs in the league also have more money this season and are or will strengthen too.....10th would be a stunning achievement, higher would be a dream......17th would be acceptable.