Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Letting players go before we sign replacements

I know letting players go frees up salaries etc, but am always concerned ncfc always seem to let players go before securing decent replacements (letting Iwan go at the start of our last premiership campaign always springs to mind, and how did we suffer!)We''re down to VW & Bechhio if Holty goes to Wigan. Know xfer window has only just opened, but you can''t guarantee getting replaceemnts in. Suspect we''ve got plenty of irons in the fire, but this stategy always worries me. Sure hope we are confident in some of our targets.What do people think

Not worried, we have loads of time to get a couple of striker in. Also looking like Toivonen will be signing next week too and Hughton may see him as a striker so that''ll be one signed

Clearly McNally, Hughton and everyone else involved are too smart to let us get caught out like that.

We pay our manager and CEO hundreds of thousands of pounds to run this club well. To suggest they would let players go without a strategy to leave this club stronger as a result is to insult them.

Everything will come right and it will be clear that these guys are doing what they do well. They have so far after all

As we saw last summer, and in January, just because you want to buy a striker it doesn''t mean you can, at least not the right striker.

Personally feel it''s a mistake letting him go as long as he''s happy to stay, would be an even bigger one if we don''t already have another striker in the bag. Other clubs knowing we only have RVW and Becchio on the books certainly won''t make negotiating any easier. Can''t see McNally being that stupid.

Who says we haven''t got deals almost completed?Do you really think McNally is that stupid?

If Houghton continues to play 1 up front we only need 3 Strikers.

1st Choice - RVW

2nd Choice - Hooper

3rd Choice - Becchio

how do you know we havent got a replacement lined up?like it or not but this summer signings were always going to lead to Holts Exit..RVW, Becchio,Toivonen can play as striker plus 1 more...sentiment is nice but to have Holt as 4th or 5th choice sponging a wage and living off past glories helps neither him nor the club.

Mr Brownstone wrote - "Personally feel it''s a mistake letting him go as long as he''s happy to stay..."

There''s the rub. Is he happy to stay as third or fourth choice striker? Would it not possibly be a better option to extend his career by knocking them in in the Championship rather than being forgotten as a bit part player in the PL?

I will really fear for us if both Ruddy and Holt leave, they are our two most influential players and important to the dressing room. Deja vu of the time that we released Malky and Iwan and were left without leaders. 

Replacing Holt & Ruddy would be difficult from a playing perspective, but to replace them with better equal/quality from a leadership point-of-view would be a huge challenge!

I''m thinking Brendan Rodgers last season when he let Carroll go expecting Dempsey to arrive - except he didn''t. I think McNally will be mindful of that not occuring here; we''re in safe hands...

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]I will really fear for us if both Ruddy and Holt leave, they are our two most influential players and important to the dressing room. Deja vu of the time that we released Malky and Iwan and were left without leaders. [/quote]
Apart from the ''old head'' argument.  The reason why we went straight back down was because we were f*****g s**t.  As we basically spent practically nob all

The people running our club couldn''t be that stupid. Holt was looking pretty lean and mean at his kids sports day - if we haven''t already signed a replacement before letting him go then someone wants shooting. Imagine now going cap in hand to any selling club ...how much will our target''s price be inflated!?! ...we couldn''t be that dumb

Surely?

I would suggest if holt is being shown the door we have someone else in the bag.

People have got to realise at some point surely, the days of doncaster have gone and the club is run by profesional business people.

1.  Prove " always".2. Prove we don''t have someone else lines up.3. Prove it is a poor decision.Oh, you can''t.

It was a strange decision to let Vaughan go before we had a replacement last season. This was followed by two unsuccessful transfer windows as regards strikers. Let''s hope the club''s management play a better hand this time. I fear we will live to regret the loss of our talisman. Holt was the soul of the team - much like Malky before him. A sad sad day.

If every football club had a policy of "we wont sell any players until we''ve signed replacements" no footballers would ever be transferred. Stop messing your pants.

Do you honestly think Holt would be sold if we weren''t absolutely certain that we could replace him, with any one of our targets.

Further to what others pointed out, we must not forget that we have a proven Prem squad now, and money to spend. The fact that we went down to two strikers is a tangible guarantee of first team football for potential targets which  is a strong incentive for signing.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]we must not forget that we have a proven Prem squad now[/quote]
Of which Holt and Ruddy are crucial components, right? These aren''t fringe players, these are huge huge players for us. 

Say what you like, Holt was worth keeping.He is our player, knows the team, knows the players. Even if he played a bit part next season and only scored, say, 5 goals, then he would still be worth having around.We now have a striker totally new to the Premiership, and another that has about 45 minutes game time in it.So we better have someone bloody good in the pipeline, and / or a striker with Premiership experience.I trust McNally, but I really hope he has got this right.

I''m not a fan of any of our current strikers or striker because he hasn''t proven himself in green and yellow. Holt has, and to see him leave before we have a fan-approved replacement hurts fan morale.

Part of being a real fan and not a plastic is liking the players who are part of the team and give the team its identity and charm. Yes its a business but it''s more than a business to fans who identify with the players, esp the players who likewise identify with the team. For the past several seasons, contract negotiation aside, Grant Holt was Norwich City FC.