Sign in to follow this  
super canary

Fee agreed with Wigan for Holt

If its a fee of a few million its a good piece of business in my opinion for a player of 32 or however old he is now. We can put the additional money to finding a better replacement and improve the squad everyone has their time

I know its probably good business, but my heart still sank a bit when I clicked on the BBC site and saw "Norwich''s Grant Holt set to join Wigan"[:(]

Yeah same here Morty. This move is best for both parties but due to what hes done at the club in the last 4 years its hard to see him go!

We should start a thread every time he scores a goal, just like folks did with Cody, bemoaning how it was a mistake to let him go.[:)]

Ive been watching city for 23 years, and player wise, I cant recall another player who has had the same all round impact for me as a fan. What he has achieved with us in the last few years has been nothing short of FANTASTIC. Literally love the bloke... all that said, I do think its time to move on for both parties. We need to be looking at strikers that will be pushign to score twice as many as what Holt did last year, RVW can go toward that, and we need another two also capable, sadly I believe Holts time is up on that kind of tally and input toward, but truly, if he does go.. best of luck!!

[quote user="morty"]We should start a thread every time he scores a goal, just like folks did with Cody, bemoaning how it was a mistake to let him go.[:)][/quote]

Ha! you can guarantee people will, brace yourself... ;)

I''ll probably develop some strange morbid interest in Wigan now. I love watching Holty play so will be looking out for how well he does there (very well I hope!).

[quote user="Josh"][quote user="morty"]We should start a thread every time he scores a goal, just like folks did with Cody, bemoaning how it was a mistake to let him go.[:)][/quote]

Ha! you can guarantee people will, brace yourself... ;)

I''ll probably develop some strange morbid interest in Wigan now. I love watching Holty play so will be looking out for how well he does there (very well I hope!).[/quote]Yeah, I''ll probably do the same.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]mbncfc1 wrote:

"12 months on the majority would be happy for him to leave us with the likes of rvw coming in"

The poll from the past few days would suggest, quite convincingly, the opposite.[/quote]

Except that, as Official Scrutineer of that poll, I did notice that already two posters who said we should KEEP Holt under ALL circumstances have now turned round and said that actually under THESE circumstances we should sell Holt. And it is  fair guess that many more of the KEEPs think the same.

[/quote]
Go on then, name names! 

[/quote]

Oh no, As Official Scrutineer I have to be seen to be above such gutter-press tactics. But I confess, and this is very sad, I had taken a mental note of a few KEEP names (one in particular), because it didn''t take a genius to work out we might well sell Holt, and there would be a few posters hurriedly changing tack. A bit like the European Communist parties in world war two who found the Hitler-Stalin Pact suddenly meant they had to regard the Nazis not as mortal enemies but firm friends.

[/quote]
In your role as Official Scrutineer you should perhaps consider, in the interests of impartiality, also monitoring those who have voted ''SELL'' but may at some stage in the future claim that we should have kept Holt and that they never wanted him gone.

[/quote]

I think I''ll pass it off to one of my glamorous Official Scrutineer assistants, on the basis that while what you''re positing (any SELLs recanting) is theoretically possible, experience tells me it won''t happen. Added to which the number of KEEPs who have quietly switched to "Oh I think selling Holt is a spiffing idea!" is already beyond the total number who voted SELL. I think it is clear which aspect of your fascinating exercise will repay careful study, and it isn''t the idea that any SELLs are going to feel they got it wrong.

Grant is dropping down a league - which says a bit about how his performance last season is judged.   He will be phenomenal back in the champs.   Add in he will get regular starting football - something he is far from certain here - and finally he gets to move back home.

We get a decent fee and a couple of months to find a top not replacement.  Being comfortable with letting him go is a huge statement of ambition from the club.

Enjoy it.

I''ve not felt this way since Chris Sutton.

I am genuinely upset by the news that Holt could leave. My first thought was ''it''ll never happen''. but McNally carefully avoided all mention of the big man on twitter last night, when, as we know, he does tend to deny all the ''big'' ones. and so, with a heavy heart, this morning i am beginning to accept that this really could be the end.

So, here we are, its very likely that we will sell grant holt to wigan.

I''ll be sad to see him go. He has become a club legend, a great goalscorer, and a great leader.

but, and this is hard for me to admit, with a degree of realism, this is the best situation for all parties in the long run.

for grant, he gets regular first team football. and he wont have to deal with a 7hr drive to see his kids. fair play to him.

for us, if £2.5m or above is accurate, then we are getting a reasonable fee for a 32 yr old. he wouldn''t be guaranteed a starting place next year, and as one of our highest earners, we have saved a wedge from the wage budget for the ''next one''. I think its fair to say that we would get next to nothing for Holt next summer with only one year left of his bumper 3 yr deal, and at 33, i think he might start struggling to perform consistently at the level we have become accustomed to. Lets not forget that Holty leaving would mean we only have 2 recognized strikers on the books which surely means that there will be 2 more through the door. which is an exciting thought given the money we have to spend. I very much doubt Hughton will do a ''harry kane'' again.

yes, he will be sorely missed around the place, and yes he has been ''colossal for us'', but times change in football and there is no room for sentimentality on the big stage. Replacing his leadership will be the hardest task for Hughton. He was exemplary off the pitch, just look at him dragging the entire 1st team down to the youth cup semi.

I for one will be incredibly sad to see him go, but i am slowly starting to accept that this is the right time. We have a bright future, and Holty was been pivotal in setting that up for us. He will always be a city legend, and one of my favorite players, but now is the time for a brand new set of heroes.

and who knows, maybe he''s just desperate to score another hat-trick against ''that lot''!

Morty wrote - "We should start a thread every time he scores a goal, just like folks did with Cody, bemoaning how it was a mistake to let him go."

Let me rephrase that for you;

"We should start a thread every time he scores a goal, just like Paul Moy did with Cody, bemoaning how it was a mistake to let him go."

Realistically, how did people envisage Grant leaving, whenever that was to be?

Did people think that he would see out he end of his lucrative 3 year contract, and become Lord Mayor?

It makes total sense to recoup, at least his original transfer fee (by a margin) and off load a high wage earner, that we all know will not be the first name on the team sheet next season. Like I said before, Holt would, quite possibly, have had a big say in this.

Wigan - '' Can we buy Grant Holt?''

Norwich - ''No''

Wigan - ''Let''s ring Grant''s agent'' (or Grant''s agent gets to hear about it, and tells Grant)

Grant Holt (to Norwich) - '' I hear Wigan are interested, and as I have been told I am not going to be the Messiah this season, I would like it if we could sort out a move for me, Thank you very much'' 

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Will this now mean no more Villa threads ? [:P][/quote]

Don''t be silly Til.[IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-031.gif[/IMG]

Good luck to him if he leaves. He owes us nothing and i think the playing for City has been great for him too.It''s time to move on and with the best will in the world he doesn''t really fit in with the plans that the club has for now and the future.

I hope he stays and so should every Norwich fan. You don''t cut out the heart and expect to keep breathing.

[quote user="Scooby"]I hope he stays and so should every Norwich fan. You don''t cut out the heart and expect to keep breathing.[/quote]This.

It''s all very well buying new players but Holty is an inspirational player, that doesnt just appear over night.

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="Scooby"]I hope he stays and so should every Norwich fan. You don''t cut out the heart and expect to keep breathing.[/quote]

This.

It''s all very well buying new players but Holty is an inspirational player, that doesnt just appear over night.
[/quote]

Huzzah![IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-thumb-up-045.gif[/IMG]

I agree that Holt''s departure will be harder hit behind the scenes. A true leader, a well liked player with no ego, someone who, despite what a few of you think, gives his all for us everytime he steps over the white line, and always did.

However, Holt''s role next season combined with missing his wife and daughters must play a huge part in this. I imagine he''s been told his chances next season will be limited. He doesn''t want to be living down here for a bit part role on the pitch when he could play every week at Wigan and be less than 2 hours from his wife and kids.

He''s proved his point in the Premier League. Despite what many fans of other teams think, WE know that he did cut it in the Premier League, especially in the 2011/2012 season, but I just think rather go out on a high after 4 brilliant years, as opposed to 4 brilliant years and 1 where he hardly played then left with a wimper at the end of the season.

Good luck to him. He''s provided some of our best memories. A proper footballer.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I agree that Holt''s departure will be harder hit behind the scenes. A true leader, a well liked player with no ego, someone who, despite what a few of you think, gives his all for us everytime he steps over the white line, and always did.

However, Holt''s role next season combined with missing his wife and daughters must play a huge part in this. I imagine he''s been told his chances next season will be limited. He doesn''t want to be living down here for a bit part role on the pitch when he could play every week at Wigan and be less than 2 hours from his wife and kids.

He''s proved his point in the Premier League. Despite what many fans of other teams think, WE know that he did cut it in the Premier League, especially in the 2011/2012 season, but I just think rather go out on a high after 4 brilliant years, as opposed to 4 brilliant years and 1 where he hardly played then left with a wimper at the end of the season.

Good luck to him. He''s provided some of our best memories. A proper footballer.[/quote]Sense and well formulated, am I not on the interweb ?

Kone''s officially joined Everton, so the stage is set for Holt to replace Kone at the DW.Bloody shame, really, but I think I have all the good memories of Holt''s time with Norwich that I''m going to get.And my 4-1 derby day hat-trick mug.But I''m still sad.

Sad, but maybe the right time for him to move on. Getting late in his career, closer to home, and the possible chance to play in Europe.

If we bring in some mighty replacements to go along with RVW, I wouldn''t complain too much - but I''d still be sad to see him go.

Very good point by Row D - it would be better for GH to leave at the top after 2 successful years in the Prem rather than ending with a whimper as a squad player who rarely starts,

Has he been successful in the prem? Put it this way, there''s no way we''d want to see him at another Prem team !

Always he''ll be one of the all time city legends for me.

He''s had a good few years at the club, a lot of happy memories were created with him in the team. But, as said, to stay on for another year may not be the right choice given personal circumstances with his fam and the fact that we also need to continue to improve. He''s getting on now, and why not cash in whilst we can to help the club move forward. He will, by the sounds of it, be missed within the dressing room, but theres plenty of other good personalities in that dressing room. Good luck to him, he''s done and given us everything and more, now its time to move on.Think of it as the start of our next chapter. It''s a sign of us getting stronger, getting better and moving on from where we once were.

As much as we as fans, would like to see it differently, there is a balance of sentiment and business, and this, it seems, is just right (player performance  and effect on team/sale value in a years time and profit)

Cheers Grant, thanks for everything (if you go!)