Sign in to follow this  
super canary

Fee agreed with Wigan for Holt

Trade him in for a young faster model. Holt will always be part of our history but not part of building for a stable future in this league. Time to cash in and invest.

[quote user="super canary"][quote user="morty"]You know what though, I bet you there are journos looking at this message board now, fishing for tidbits, seeing what stories they can stir up.And before you know it, dripping wet pants all over the fine city, just because someone talked a load of old pony on a forum.Loose lips sink ships.[:)][/quote]

you know what? i bet there isnt.[/quote]I think you could be wrong, there has been a few times I have seen things said on here, and within a few hours its being said elsewhere. I know for a fact Birmingham newspapers have directly lifted quotes from this forum.

He''s having a medical at Wigan on Monday, guess thats that sorted then!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="super canary"][quote user="morty"]You know what though, I bet you there are journos looking at this message board now, fishing for tidbits, seeing what stories they can stir up.And before you know it, dripping wet pants all over the fine city, just because someone talked a load of old pony on a forum.Loose lips sink ships.[:)][/quote]

you know what? i bet there isnt.[/quote]I think you could be wrong, there has been a few times I have seen things said on here, and within a few hours its being said elsewhere. I know for a fact Birmingham newspapers have directly lifted quotes from this forum.[/quote]

True, but I sued the pants off them for breach of copyright and intellectual property theft, so I don''t think they''ll be doing that again in a hurry. As far as this Holt thing is concerned, surely we have to wait for City1st, who is the media expert here, to tell us whether this is a Sky story we can believe?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="super canary"][quote user="morty"]You know what though, I bet you there are journos looking at this message board now, fishing for tidbits, seeing what stories they can stir up.And before you know it, dripping wet pants all over the fine city, just because someone talked a load of old pony on a forum.Loose lips sink ships.[:)][/quote]

you know what? i bet there isnt.[/quote]I think you could be wrong, there has been a few times I have seen things said on here, and within a few hours its being said elsewhere. I know for a fact Birmingham newspapers have directly lifted quotes from this forum.[/quote]

oh, that is interesting. well then, i will state that it is my opinion that holt has not gone to austria as i think he will be involved in talks with wigan. i do aploogise that it sounded like i was stating fact.

[quote user="super canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="super canary"][quote user="morty"]You know what though, I bet you there are journos looking at this message board now, fishing for tidbits, seeing what stories they can stir up.And before you know it, dripping wet pants all over the fine city, just because someone talked a load of old pony on a forum.Loose lips sink ships.[:)][/quote]

oh, that is interesting. well then, i will state that it is my opinion that holt has not gone to austria as i think he will be involved in talks with wigan. i do aploogise that it sounded like i was stating fact.[/quote]Looks like you guessed right though, he''s having a medical Monday[Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="super canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="super canary"][quote user="morty"]You know what though, I bet you there are journos looking at this message board now, fishing for tidbits, seeing what stories they can stir up.And before you know it, dripping wet pants all over the fine city, just because someone talked a load of old pony on a forum.Loose lips sink ships.[:)][/quote]

oh, that is interesting. well then, i will state that it is my opinion that holt has not gone to austria as i think he will be involved in talks with wigan. i do aploogise that it sounded like i was stating fact.[/quote]Looks like you guessed right though, he''s having a medical Monday[Y][/quote]

that was quick. source?

[quote user="super canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="super canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="super canary"][quote user="morty"]You know what though, I bet you there are journos looking at this message board now, fishing for tidbits, seeing what stories they can stir up.And before you know it, dripping wet pants all over the fine city, just because someone talked a load of old pony on a forum.Loose lips sink ships.[:)][/quote]

oh, that is interesting. well then, i will state that it is my opinion that holt has not gone to austria as i think he will be involved in talks with wigan. i do aploogise that it sounded like i was stating fact.[/quote]Looks like you guessed right though, he''s having a medical Monday[Y][/quote]

that was quick. source?[/quote]Chris Goreham retweeted a tweet by BBC Radio Cumbria.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

True, but I sued the pants off them for breach of copyright and intellectual property theft, so I don''t think they''ll be doing that again in a hurry. As far as this Holt thing is concerned, surely we have to wait for City1st, who is the media expert here, to tell us whether this is a Sky story we can believe?

[/quote]Seriously?Is anything you post on an open source internet forum actually your intellectual property?

Given we were reported to have turned down a £1.5 million bid for him, I would imagine the fee agreed is ~£2 million. For a 32 year old who was not really in it for most of last season this is excellent business so long as we are very, very confident of signing two new forwards. Holty has been an inspirational player for this club and there is always a tinge of sadness when such a player leaves however that is the nature of football.

If Vaughan went for £1 million say then that ~ £3 million towards another player without touching the transfer budget. I still believe we will sign Hooper and for no more than £5 million. Very interesting days ahead in the next few weeks.

[quote user="morty"]Seriously?Is anything you post on an open source internet forum actually your intellectual property? [/quote]

No, morty. Not seriously. A poor attempt to KEEP (see what I did there?) the mood light.PS. Isn''t it more usually loose rivets that sink ships?!

[quote user="morty"]Seriously?Is anything you post on an open source internet forum actually your intellectual property? [/quote]

No, morty. Not seriously. A poor attempt to KEEP (see what I did there?) the mood light.PS. Isn''t it more usually loose rivets that sink ships?!

[/quote]I''m laughing inside lol[Y]I don''t want to talk about sinking ships any more, I''m off back to work on Tuesday lol.

[quote user="Dr Crafty Canary"]

Holty has been an inspirational player for this club and there is always a tinge of sadness when such a player leaves however that is the nature of football.

[/quote]

Well said and I am in full agreement with you Dr.Crafty.

[quote user="Jonzey"]

Furthermore why would be want to leave only a year after finally getting his big contract? Wigan surely can''t match that. And as for his missus wanting him closer, fair enough. But I''ll bet any money she''d prefer him to earn the big bucks for a couple more years.[/quote]Why would McNally want to move him on with two years of his big contract left you mean ;)The Holt thing''s been done to death. I''m surprised if he''s moving on now though, largely since we''ve always struggled to recruit strikers, and Holt going would mean we need another two coming in. Ultimately, he was only going to be a bit-part player this season, and he''s never been the best at coming off the bench. He needs regular football to keep his match fitness and touch sharp.I wonder if Holt hadn''t forced McNally into an extra year whether things would have been the same.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Dr Crafty Canary"]

Holty has been an inspirational player for this club and there is always a tinge of sadness when such a player leaves however that is the nature of football.

[/quote]

Well said and I am in full agreement with you Dr.Crafty.

[/quote]

Now then. About these medical shenanigans......

Are they conducted by a proper doctor[:^)]

The extra year Holt got last Summer will only increase his market value surely, in the same way that Hooper''s contract running down makes him more affordable.

Another McNally masterstroke then [;)]

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="Jonzey"]

Furthermore why would be want to leave only a year after finally getting his big contract? Wigan surely can''t match that. And as for his missus wanting him closer, fair enough. But I''ll bet any money she''d prefer him to earn the big bucks for a couple more years.[/quote]Why would McNally want to move him on with two years of his big contract left you mean ;)The Holt thing''s been done to death. I''m surprised if he''s moving on now though, largely since we''ve always struggled to recruit strikers, and Holt going would mean we need another two coming in. Ultimately, he was only going to be a bit-part player this season, and he''s never been the best at coming off the bench. He needs regular football to keep his match fitness and touch sharp.I wonder if Holt hadn''t forced McNally into an extra year whether things would have been the same.[/quote]

But that was always the case, because neither Holt nor Becchio could be relied upon to be mid-table Premier League quality next season. You can get away with one of the four strikers making up the numbers, but not two. So we were always going to to have to get in two more, providing we had the money, and it seems we do. It was only ever a question of whether we would let Holt or Becchio go. Apparently it is Becchio who is staying, so he fills the fourth slot.

Toivonen has to be signing or he wouldn''t risk having just 2 strikers!

Grant holt has been amazing for Norwich but I think we have to be realistic in saying he''s 32 and the strikers we are being linked with are all better than holt, and there''s no point having a player on his wages as the 4th striker

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="Jonzey"]

Furthermore why would be want to leave only a year after finally getting his big contract? Wigan surely can''t match that. And as for his missus wanting him closer, fair enough. But I''ll bet any money she''d prefer him to earn the big bucks for a couple more years.[/quote]Why would McNally want to move him on with two years of his big contract left you mean ;)The Holt thing''s been done to death. I''m surprised if he''s moving on now though, largely since we''ve always struggled to recruit strikers, and Holt going would mean we need another two coming in. Ultimately, he was only going to be a bit-part player this season, and he''s never been the best at coming off the bench. He needs regular football to keep his match fitness and touch sharp.I wonder if Holt hadn''t forced McNally into an extra year whether things would have been the same.[/quote]

But that was always the case, because neither Holt nor Becchio could be relied upon to be mid-table Premier League quality next season. You can get away with one of the four strikers making up the numbers, but not two. So we were always going to to have to get in two more, providing we had the money, and it seems we do. It was only ever a question of whether we would let Holt or Becchio go. Apparently it is Becchio who is staying, so he fills the fourth slot.

[/quote]Yeah, I suppose the whole problem with this is that we''re second-guessing how many players they want to bring in, and also the quality of those players. I find it hard to believe they''d be wanting to spend much on a 3rd striker, given that they''d be a bench-warmer and the midfield needs some competition.

after all the goals/success at city, hes going to have the chance to play in europe, at 32 its safe to say he probably wont get that chance here eitherhe deserves it. good luck to him.i just hope it doesnt backfire

VSUL wrote - "Toivonen has to be signing or he wouldn''t risk having just 2 strikers! "

Or we already have two other strikers in the bag that we have not been linked with. Besides that Toivonen is an AM anyway.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]VSUL wrote - "Toivonen has to be signing or he wouldn''t risk having just 2 strikers! "

Or we already have two other strikers in the bag that we have not been linked with. Besides that Toivonen is an AM anyway.[/quote]

But he can play as a striker. He started two games for Sweden in the Euros last summer - one in midfield and one up front.

He has also started for Sweden at LM and CF for his Club but he is primarily an AM, over 90% of his games are played there. As RVW said we would be buying an AM it only seems logical that Toivonen was targeted for this role.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]He has also started for Sweden at LM and CF for his Club but he is primarily an AM, over 90% of his games are played there. As RVW said we would be buying an AM it only seems logical that Toivonen was targeted for this role.[/quote]

Either way I think he will score goals. Maybe see toivonen behind RvW! The players we are linked with look genuine class and holts time is numbered! Thanks

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]He has also started for Sweden at LM and CF for his Club but he is primarily an AM, over 90% of his games are played there. As RVW said we would be buying an AM it only seems logical that Toivonen was targeted for this role.[/quote]
I think Toivonen can play LM/LW/AMC/striker - the versatility would be useful. However he''s a big guy, i imagine he would be a perfect replacement for Holt. We could even see the return of the 4 3 3 (played a few times towards the end of the season with KK and Snoddy out wide).
I watched him play for Sweeden the other month and it seemed that he was the striker with Ibrahimovic dropping behind.

There isn''t much doubt that a move to aside up north will be of benefit to Holt, and IMO he was only ever likely to be a bit part this season. Good move for both if he moves on with our thanks. I can''t help but think we have guys lined up, hopefully a few nice surprises will be announced this week.

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]He has also started for Sweden at LM and CF for his Club but he is primarily an AM, over 90% of his games are played there. As RVW said we would be buying an AM it only seems logical that Toivonen was targeted for this role.[/quote]
I think Toivonen can play LM/LW/AMC/striker - the versatility would be useful. However he''s a big guy, i imagine he would be a perfect replacement for Holt. We could even see the return of the 4 3 3 (played a few times towards the end of the season with KK and Snoddy out wide).
I watched him play for Sweeden the other month and it seemed that he was the striker with Ibrahimovic dropping behind.

[/quote]

I''ve seen him used that way as well. I am not saying we would be buying hm primarily as a striker, but he certainly can play there, and it might suit his Sweden ambitons.