Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Wigan Forums.

Just had a little look at sites involving Wigan and news/rumours and speculation surrounding the imminent arrival of Holt are in very short supply. One guy thinks they may only pay 500k to £1 million and other fans say that £2 million or above is ridiculous. However I was amazed at the apathy and apparent lack of interest at their end amongst the fans and yet again feckin Sky seems to be the source of all we have heard either here or in Wigan.

In their position I would probably be a bit underwhelmed also.Grant Holt is all about what he has done for us, they don''t have that. To them he is a washed up Premiership journeyman, looking for a last payday.

You need a decent number of fans to have active forums! I struggled to find any site of theirs with decent activity. Would be a good idea for this site to have a page with links to other teams forums.

Can see their point also. In their position I wouldn''t be excited either tbh. We all know what this forum is like if we are linked to a 29 year old, let alone someone of Holts age.

Good player still but not an exciting signing for their fans I''m sure.

''Lack of interest'' That''s because of ''Lack of fans'' i''m afraid.DM is not stupid. If the offer came in and we have accepted. He will go out and fetch a replacement/improvement.  Its as simple as that.For this I for one am not worried.As for price, Anything over the circulated £1 mil mark I''d imagine was accepted. CH/DM are thinking in terms of quality and the coming season team ability.

Got to remember that from their point of view they are losing a very good 29 year old striker with likely three or four years left in the game, and replacing him with a 32 year old with no resale value who they will probably get a couple of years out of. 
Don''t think there is much difference in quality between Kone and Holt, but they will rightfully see it as a quick fix. Will change their tune when he bangs in a few goals though. 

If we had just won the FA Cup, had a European adventure to look forward to plus were expected to win the Championship or at the very least win promotion first time of asking then I think we would be pretty annoyed at signing a 30+ striker who always starts the season a little overweight and is probably in his last couple of years in the higher leagues....

We have signed Wolfswinkel, Hughton plays one striker..he was never going to sit on the bench and it would have been equally unfair to have expected Holt to. This is a good move for all involved and thanks for your service Holty, always a legend, but on to the future...

Some comments baffle me. Yes Wigan may be getting an older replacement to Kone but may just land a 20+ goal a season championship level striker. I would be pretty happy with that. Adding to that is that I reckon Holt was one of the trickiest players for defenders to deal with in the Premiership for the last 2 seasons. To get somebody of proven quality for the last 4 seasons is not something to be sniffed at. If he goes I will have mixed feelings. Time possibly to move on but will miss the big guy massive. I still stand by my stance of shouting "Get of the f''ing pitch for f''ck sake you big t0sser" away at Sunderland 2011/2012 season whilst all Norwich fans stared at me in disbelief that I dared heckle the big fella. Sorry for shouting, I should have cheered the fact that he spent hours walking off the pitch when subbed when we desperately needed a goal. Only one of the very few times I have questioned Grant Holt.

Maybe their apathy is because its only Sky''s bullsh*t about his transfer!![:|]

[quote user="Wiz"]Maybe their apathy is because its only Sky''s bullsh*t about his transfer!![:|][/quote]Are you seriously still in denial about this?

Oh dear must be, not looking forward to the scathing attack on the board once this all goes through!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Wiz"]Maybe their apathy is because its only Sky''s bullsh*t about his transfer!![:|][/quote]

Are you seriously still in denial about this?
[/quote]

Yes Morty I am and will remain so until something official is released by either club.

[quote user="birchfest"]Oh dear must be, not looking forward to the scathing attack on the board once this all goes through![/quote]Why should there be a scathing attack?They have view of much more of the picture than we do, and I doubt very much they would even let Holt talk to another club unless we were very close to signing an adequate replacement.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Wiz"]Maybe their apathy is because its only Sky''s bullsh*t about his transfer!![:|][/quote]Are you seriously still in denial about this?[/quote]

Yes Morty I am and will remain so until something official is released by either club.

[/quote]Strange turn of policy given your history of gossip and rumours, but I doubt you''ll have long to wait for confirmation.

[quote user="birchfest"]Oh dear must be, not looking forward to the scathing attack on the board once this all goes through![/quote]

No attack from me, the manager and CEO need no lessons from this poster.

Alright, alright...to put you all straight.

Holt drove up to Wigan yesterday morning for a medical instead of flying to Austria.

3 year deal for him, I imagine on decent money for a just relegated favourties to go up type of club, 30 miles from his Cumbria house and likely to play every week.

We get £1.8m.

Win for him and a win for us.

Possibly a win for Wigan as he can score goals at that level, but they have saddled themselves with a 32(?) year old on a 3 year deal and have shelled out all that money for him, pays off if they get promoted.

Ruddy likely to go also.

Have no rumours of players coming in though.

Why would I possibly reveal my source(s)?...as then they would no longer be a source.

So I take it that Holt''s house is in the centre of Carlisle and Wigan''s training round is in the centre of Wigan??

Cumbria and Carlisle are not the same place.

35 minute trip I understand.

[quote user="Colin Teapot"]

So I take it that Holt''s house is in the centre of Carlisle and Wigan''s training round is in the centre of Wigan??

[/quote]By helicopter maybe.....

Jesus, if you''re gonna come on here spouting off like you''ve got some kind of inside information, at least get your facts straight.

Priceless.

[quote user="Colin Teapot"]

[/quote]

So is it miles or minutes? Get your story right ffs.

Deary me..

[quote user="JF"]You need a decent number of fans to have active forums! I struggled to find any site of theirs with decent activity. Would be a good idea for this site to have a page with links to other teams forums.[/quote]Agreed. Hardly any comment on their forums even when they won the FA Cup !!While Holt will find plenty of plusses on a personal level if he does move to Wigan he''s going to have to quickly get used to a third full JW Stadium and virtually non-existent away support for most games.

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Colin Teapot"]

[/quote]

So is it miles or minutes? Get your story right ffs.

Deary me..[/quote]

35 mins to drive 30 miles sounds plausible to me.

Yes but his story has changed once he was proved wrong.

Does he actually know where Wigan and Cumbria are?

Sorry, just what I was told.  Probably Chinese whispers..shame as the story is only 2 from first hand. 

Nice of you to focus on that bit and not the other bits. Or are you now doubting the whole story because of this?

Makes me laugh as most losers on this board wet their paints over baseless rumours and starts threads on the slightest bit of unfounded drivel.  And then when you get a gift horse you can''t see it.  Years of being overly defensive I imagine.  That''s what happens when you hang around on here too long.

Anyway Hughton has been trying to get shot of Holt for ages.  Informing he was on the bench by text message the night before Sunderland away whilst they were staying in the same hotel, always a great sign of your man management skills. 

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=DW+stadium&daddr=Carlisle&hl=en&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=8.08612,19.753418&geocode=Ff8SMQMdQIHX_yF0iU6Lyvi3Nik7nYYQhQ97SDF0iU6Lyvi3Ng%3BFbmXRQMdPT_T_ykPa-4-3-F8SDEtaBW6tkMKXA&mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Hilarious.  No wonder I never post on here! 

Posts and arguments about milages, but nothing about the £1.8m fee or being down to 2 strikers.  Needs to be moved to the geography sub-forum. 

"Alright, alright...to put you all straight.

Holt drove up to Wigan yesterday morning for a medical instead of flying to Austria."

3 year deal for him, I imagine on decent money for a just relegated favourties to go up type of club, 30 miles from his Cumbria house and likely to play every week.

We get £1.8m.

Win for him and a win for us.

Possibly a win for Wigan as he can score goals at that level, but they have saddled themselves with a 32(?) year old on a 3 year deal and have shelled out all that money for him, pays off if they get promoted.

Ruddy likely to go also.

Have no rumours of players coming in though.

Why would I possibly reveal my source(s)?...as then they would no longer be a source."

All of this was reported in the papers this morning though (except the poor navigation) except it''s been reported as a 2 year deal. Not sure why you''re bigging yourself up so much? Most people realise Holt has wanted to go since Lambert left.