Sign in to follow this  
Nicko

Improved offer for Ruddy rejected

Bryan Swanson (Verified account)

‏@skysports_bryan

We''re told Norwich reject improved offer from Chelsea for John Ruddy. @SkySportsNews

Good. If they really want him then they need to stump up the cash and stop messing around with all this 3mil +add ons rubbish.

Pay 10mil+ up front or feck off and stop unsettling our number 1

!!!

[quote user="super dave"]Good. If they really want him then they need to stump up the cash and stop messing around with all this 3mil +add ons rubbish.

Pay 10mil+ up front or feck off and stop unsettling our number 1

!!![/quote]Is that all they have actually offered?Really?Jeez.

I am sorry to say it but i think he''s off. If they keep coming back in with improved bids then he''s clearly given them the nod that he''s up for the move and eventually they probably offer enough.

How f**king depressing that the likes of Chelase can snap up one of our best players to warm their bench. They are not even a proper big club just another example of everything that is dislikeable about modern English football. Will always be a sh*t club with cars parked behind the goal in my eyes.

Given that we are the weaker party bargaining..

why not ask for £10 million with a loan option for a season thrown in (with immediate recall in case of injury)

Chelsea then have their number 2 on hand but playing. We hold onto him for one more year. Everyone a winner...

I think they actually need him as cover though. Courtois is out on loan and they''ve let turnbull go.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I am sorry to say it but i think he''s off. If they keep coming back in with improved bids then he''s clearly given them the nod that he''s up for the move and eventually they probably offer enough.

How f**king depressing that the likes of Chelase can snap up one of our best players to warm their bench. They are not even a proper big club just another example of everything that is dislikeable about modern English football. Will always be a sh*t club with cars parked behind the goal in my eyes.[/quote]Or you are putting your own negative spin on it? You don''t actually know any of that for sure, you''re guessing.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]I am sorry to say it but i think he''s off. If they keep coming back in with improved bids then he''s clearly given them the nod that he''s up for the move and eventually they probably offer enough.

How f**king depressing that the likes of Chelase can snap up one of our best players to warm their bench. They are not even a proper big club just another example of everything that is dislikeable about modern English football. Will always be a sh*t club with cars parked behind the goal in my eyes.[/quote]Or you are putting your own negative spin on it? You don''t actually know any of that for sure, you''re guessing.

[/quote]

Which bit? About the cars parked behind the goal? Yes I am guessing (although you knew that anyway) but anyone who thinks that clubs have not nearly always spoken to the layer or their agent before putting bids in these days is naive if you ask me. One bid maybe but two or three means that in my view they''ve had a pretty clear steer that the player wants to come if a fee can be agreed.

Of course Toivenon would appear to be the exception to that rule but then there PSV obviously want to sell so it appears they have pushed the transfer in that case.

Morty, I have to agree with you , but I would feel gutted ... I''m not rushing into conclusions just yet, but it really makes you downcast, when you see what talent is just warming the bench at these so-called topclubs. They were crap in the 80s and early 90s!

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Morty, I have to agree with you , but I would feel gutted ... I''m not rushing into conclusions just yet, but it really makes you downcast, when you see what talent is just warming the bench at these so-called topclubs. They were crap in the 80s and early 90s![/quote]Oh I''m not denying anything is possible, and it wouldn''t be beyond Chelsea to make us an offer we can''t refuse.However the only FACTS we have so far is that we have told them to bugger off. Twice.So if we just look at facts, there is nothing to worry about yet.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]You sound just like a Leeds fan![/quote]

*Jim Smith[/quote]

Why exactly?

All I am saying is that if a club makes repeated bids for a player they have generally had the nod from that player that they are up for the move. Because if that i unfortunately think that Ruddy will be off.

Or are you referring to the anti Chelsea stuff? Undoubtedly they are a bigger club than us and I fully understand why he might want to go there (although will be a bit disappointed if he takes the cash to sit on the bench) but does not mean it doesn''t stick in the throat a bit not being able to compete with a club who I don;t regard as being one of the genuine big clubs.

Have to say it seems likely that JR''s camp have indicated he would be interested otherwise why would Chelsea pursue? there''s just no way nowadays that a club would chase a player for weeks steadily increase bids until accepted and then find out the players not interested. They will know he would not be averse to coming, even if he isn''t totally decided yet.

If Chelsea want him, unless Ruddy decides against the move, I think he will go. Chelsea will keep upping it till it hits a figure we can''t refuse, I just hope we A) Hold out long enough to get as much as we can B) Have a good replacement lined up.

It sucks and I hope they lose interest or he doesn''t want to go, because Holt moving on is a kick in the teeth but probably makes sense for all parties, on the face of it Ruddy moving to Chelsea seems to make no sense at all.

I read that the original offer was 3 mil upfront + 2 mil in add ons.

An insulting offer if there ever was one!

It wouldn''t surprise me if the 2nd offer was along similar lines but with a bit more cash upfront.

All seems like dirty tactics to unsettle ruddy and make him demand a transfer if you ask me.

Dunno Dave we hold all the cards here, Ruddy may want to move on and Chelsea may want him, but he signed a long contract last year, its not like he has a year left and is stalling on a new contract.

What does unsettling him really do, are we any more likely to sell? We know if we don''t sell, Ruddy needs to perform this year to get in the England squad so its hardly likely he will not perform on the pitch and he seems a top pro anyway.

There''s not much pressure Ruddy or Chelsea can put on our board other than offering more money than we can refuse.

I might be naive but that''s how this particular situation looks to me, if I was McNally I''d have Hughton dusting off the GK scout reports but I''d be quite relaxed that I can keep ignoring Chelsea until I literally can''t say no.

En passant, it is instructive to remember that all the doubts and feelings that we have now were those that Celtic supporters had in January when we kept going back with renewed offers.

It went around and has now come around.

As with Holt, so it is with Ruddy; that the players have done brilliantly for us but equally we snatched both from obscurity. There must be a lot of players like that out there which makes me believe that players and managers simply match certain clubs when they excel.

Ruddy has to believe he is more than capable of ousting Cech who was often criticised last season and as Chelsea number 1 he would almost certainly be England number 1 (fact of life). It''s a challenge but if he doesn''t like a challenge he''s in the wrong job.

It is obvious to me that Ruddy is amenable to moving to Chelsea in which case the only thing I expect from him is to show Norwich City respect and let the clubs negotiate. If he starts agitating so we lose money then he deserves all he gets. If he earns us a good fee then it''s up to Hughton to find an able replacement with cash to spare.

If or when Ruddy does go we need an experienced keeper at this level. Not a journeyman, not someone cutting their teeth despite having potential and not a natural number two. In term of big game experience I would include Fraser Forster as one of the former and I have always believed him to be a better keeper than Ruddy and one of the best I have seen in one on one situations.

[quote user="super dave"]I read that the original offer was 3 mil upfront + 2 mil in add ons.

An insulting offer if there ever was one!

It wouldn''t surprise me if the 2nd offer was along similar lines but with a bit more cash upfront.

All seems like dirty tactics to unsettle ruddy and make him demand a transfer if you ask me.[/quote]

Chelsea are not alone in this, according to the Barnsley manager this time last year:“The offer we got from Norwich was an insult to myself, the club and a massive insult to Jacob Butterfield. I know why Norwich did it. That’s what Premier League sides can do.”

Bit different Purple, we were getting him either way, we were obviously gambling on the tribunal fee being low.

Chelsea need to make us a substantial offer to prize Ruddy away, otherwise the board can just continue to ignore them and he will remain a Norwich player.

strange isnt it? norwich city fc have a history of putting in low bids and hoping for the best, but when a club does it to us, some dont like it

It all boils down to how bad does Chelsea want him.  Because I''m sure we''ll say sod off all day long until if and when silly money is offered.

I think Ruddy will soon be off to Chelsea. They wouldn''t keep bidding if the player wasn''t interested in the move.

No disrespect to Ruddy but there''s no way he will fight Cech for the number 1 shirt. If Chelsea wanted to replace Cech they wouldn''t replace him with Ruddy. JR would play in the league cup and that''s it BUT he will go, kill his career for a few years before a move to a mid table Prem side much similar to Norwich but claiming to have learnt so much at Chelsea.

The Hooper situation makes it clear that a club can pursue a player over some time with repeated offers and not get him. With Ruddy Chelsea may improve their offer to the point where our board decide its too good to refuse (remember this is a player just back from a long injury). Or they may reach the limit of what they''ll pay and that would be the end of it, for now at least.

With Hooper I wonder if he''s decided to see out his contract and then move, getting a better deal with no transfer fee. People should remember players who do this are taking the risk of a long term injury near the end of their contract so it''s not without risk for him.

I think we are holding out for £10-12m which is about right considering what the Sunderland keeper went to Liverpool for, and Ruddy is better than him.