Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Grant Holt: Let's Have A Vote

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

Sell. Simple as that.

Wanted to leave last season, need to be kicked out the door now!

[/quote]

If only you could be kicked out of the door.

Nothing like completely ignoring all other mitigating factors and then claiming that the results actually mean something...As with ZLF - Abstain, because there''s a lot more to consider than just keep or sell...

Keep - there''s no question. 

A big contributor on the pitch and his game has always been about power not speed, so no reason why he can''t contribute for at least another couple of seasons.  Plus one of the leaders in our squad, very important given the constant changes around the squad.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]

Think you would be seeing different results if you had asked ''sell for 10million'' or something like that, otherwise your OP is loaded in one direction.

Purple, can you rule whether the thread should be nulled on these grounds?

[/quote]

RtB, my job as Official Scrutineer is only to rule on whether the question is clear or not. And in this case it is. Should we keep or sell Grant Holt. Since the question dosn''t give any kind of time limit (for example "in this transfer window") then it means at any time during Holt''s contract, which runs until the summer of 2015. I am sure the OPer understood that, and that all those whose have voted KEEP did too.Whether the question is sensible and practical or whether it seems to emanate from some binary-choice good guys-bad guys daytime TV gameshow mentality in which there are no real-life complications or subtleties is neither here nor there.

Why the criticisms?

As a simple and superficial straw poll it served it''s purpose. It was meaningful to me in as much as it indicated  to me that I was not in a minority in wanting Grant Holt to start the season with NCFC. Sometimes debate on here has suggested otherwise, particularly when phantom offers far above the player''s realistic value have been mentioned.

I would hope that the current thinking inside Carrow Road reflects the general consensus of the Pink''un faithful.

No further analysing is necessary.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]I would hope that the current thinking inside Carrow Road reflects the general consensus of the Pink''un faithful.[/quote]And I would fervently hope that they''ve got more sense than that...The ''further analysing'' that you consider superflous Broadstairs, is exactly what our board WOULD be doing if there was a potential offer on the table, and they would certainly NOT simply be doing a basic "Keep or Sell" poll around the directors table whilst eating cream teas, and basing their decision on that..!!

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Why the criticisms?

As a simple and superficial straw poll it served it''s purpose. It was meaningful to me in as much as it indicated  to me that I was not in a minority in wanting Grant Holt to start the season with NCFC. Sometimes debate on here has suggested otherwise, particularly when phantom offers far above the player''s realistic value have been mentioned.

I would hope that the current thinking inside Carrow Road reflects the general consensus of the Pink''un faithful.

No further analysing is necessary.

[/quote]
Exactly.

Clearly I meant further analysing by this Forum Mr. Indy_Bones.

Whilst none of us would begin to presume any knowledge of the inner workings of the NCFC Boardroom, or the eating habits of it''s incumbents for that matter, it would clearly be facile to equate them with anything that is opined or carried out with a degree of frivolity this Forum. 

Was the heart and soul of our club for his first 3 years, not too many players made a bigger contribution last season either. KEEP.

"mr lister"Won''t be here by Sept 3rd!

With your track record you''d better state what year as well.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Nothing like completely ignoring all other mitigating factors and then claiming that the results actually mean something...As with ZLF - Abstain, because there''s a lot more to consider than just keep or sell...[/quote]
If you applied that logic to every ''yes'' or ''no'' question that you encountered in life then it would take you an age to get anywhere and people would probably avoid inviting you to the pub.
Mum: "Hello darling, would you like some tea?"
You: "That depends whether you mean immediately, within the next hour, or in three hours time"
Mum: "I can put you in something now"
You: "Well that depends what you are putting in, I really like your spag bol, wouldn''t mind a frozen pizza with oven chips, but I''m not eating your hot pot again because I don''t really like it"
Mum: "Make your own bloody tea you ungrateful little sh*t" 

Your mate: "Would you like to come for a pint or two?"
You: "I will abstain from answering that question because you haven''t specified which pub, at what time, and haven''t given a full explanation of other mitigating factors such as their variety of real ales, the cleanliness of their toilets, the proximity of the nearest kebab shop, or a full analysis of the costs involved in getting to and from the pub that you have in mind"
Your mate: "On second thoughts, just remembered I''ve got to up early tomorrow"

TOTAL VOTE
Keep:  91
Sell: 12
I expected a victory for ''keep'' but didn''t expect such a large margin, it goes to show that the ''sell'' crowd really make themselves heard, the reality is that they fall within a small minority. 

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]Mum: "Hello darling, would you like some tea?"
You: "That depends whether you mean immediately, within the next hour, or in three hours time"
Mum: "I can put you in something now"
You: "Well that depends what you are putting in, I really like your spag bol, wouldn''t mind a frozen pizza with oven chips, but I''m not eating your hot pot again because I don''t really like it"
Mum: "Make your own bloody tea you ungrateful little sh*t"[/quote]That''s actually quite scary, because I HAVE had conversations like that before...That aside, I''m not going to say KEEP, when tomorrow someone like Wigan could come in with a damn good offer that I feel we should be accepting, but neither am I going to say SELL when an offer may be derisory like 250k and a bag of balls... My decision would be based around exactly how much the offer was going to be, e.g. anything over 2.5 mill SELL, anything less KEEP, but as you didn''t offer that option, that''s why I''d abstain...And yes, some of us really ARE that frustrating in real life... [:P]

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]expected a victory for ''keep'' but didn''t expect such a large margin, it goes to show that the ''sell'' crowd really make themselves heard, the reality is that they fall within a small minority. [/quote]No, it goes to show that in your incredibly truncated set of options, only the minority would look to move Holt on, whereas if you''d said"Holt to be sold for 7 mil - Keep or Sell", I think you''d find it would be a VERY different result...It''s all about the question being asked and HOW it''s being asked, and the answers we''ve had don''t surprise me, but that also prove jack all in the process as well due to total lack of any detail...