Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Potentially Catastrophic!

If the Mirror says £2m then it must be true! [;)]

However I would not be very suprised if the actual figure is a reasonable amount higher. Closer to £3m - £3.5m.

If so then fair enough.  If not then we have sold ourselves short. IMO.

Snake

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

If the Mirror says £2m then it must be true! [;)]

However I would not be very suprised if the actual figure is a reasonable amount higher. Closer to £3m - £3.5m.

If so then fair enough.  If not then we have sold ourselves short. IMO.

Snake

[/quote]

The figure won''t be significantly higher than £2m.. You have to take newspaper reports of transfer fees with a bit of salt, but only in the sense that they may have been exaggerated and/or include every conceivable add-on. If that £2m report  is way out it will be because the true figure is lower, not higher.

I''ve got a feeling Hughton wanted Holt for another year to help ensure survival, but once safe would have looked to sell if an acceptable bid came along. Various reasons, including a combination of Holt''s age, attitude and family situation perhaps meant that he was always going to move on. But both parties gained from him signing the improved deal; Holt got security and Norwich got his services plus a better fee than they would have done (he would have had a year left on his old deal).We probably lost out cash-wise by not selling for a higher fee last year, but overall we avoided discontinuity and stayed up which is maybe more important. Hughton certainly knows what are the right things to say at press conferences, but underneath is a very determined and pragmatic manager.

Hughton and McNally wouldn''t have sanctioned the sale unless they felt that they could cope with the departure, and I assume that we have somebody lined up already, just hope it''s somebody special.

I think Hughton very possibly persuaded McNally to give Holt the new contract with a view to selling at the end of the season. It will be interesting to see who comes in up front and what happens to Becchio now that Holt has gone. A lot were saying Becchio wasn''t wanted and might leave, but I''d be very surprised if he did depart given that Holt has now left.