Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Potentially Catastrophic!

WARNING:

DO NOT READ IF PLEASED WITH HOLTS SALE.

Right, obviously im annoyed at this stage with Holt leaving, im more worried about the future if Ruddy goes too because that will be our 2 most influential players and the core/spine of the side gone.

Letting Holt go is madness unless he actually wanted to because of the up north thing. Is it a case of Wigan offering £2m and we cant say no or did Holt really want to leave?

Either way Hughton has decided he''d rather have the cash and I think this is a huge mistake, which will be compounded if Ruddy goes too.

Holts contribution isnt just his on pitch performance and goals, its more his leadership, captainship and presence in the dressing room.

When we went down under Worthington one of the factors for me was the fact we had no leaders in the club after dispensing with Iwan and Malky

who were the spine of the team.

Same with Holt and Ruddy, for me its not always about the on pitch performance its the overall contribution to the cause. Holts performances havent always been prolific but its his determination, work rate and leadership that has made him the important player he is. Roy Keane was far from the best player on the pitch with Cantona etc around him, but the man himself made him the first choice on the team sheet.

Were gonna miss Holts overall contribution next season on the pitch and the dressing room. Youve only got to look at some of the games over the last few years that Holty has missed to see the difference, and those were he came on as sub. His presence impacted greatly on the players around him and the whole team would be lifted by his mere presence.

Theres no doubt we will miss this, and for a measly £2m Hughton better be sure he''s made the right decision.

WARNING:

DO NOT READ IF PLEASED WITH HOLTS SALE.

I doubt you''ll find anyone, except a silly piece of fruit, who is "pleased".You might find a good many who are sad he''s left but who accept he was unlikely to be the striker we needed next season and that we need to move forwards as a club.Of course, that might not be simplistic enough for some.Anyway, I didn''t read the rest of your post but I''m sure it was great.

Someone a tad upset?

If a club relies so heavily on 1 player to lift players etc their is something wrong! This could/will be a brilliant move from the club. As more players will have to lift their games to make up for holt. Also some past players have said holt was anna sty piece of work!

HURRRAH he has gone!

Holt''s impact off the bench last season was pretty ugly, think we are letting him go at the right time really, but letting Ruddy go is a totally different matter.

Is it not past your bedtime? Your username is nearly as pathetic as your posts.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Someone a tad upset?

If a club relies so heavily on 1 player to lift players etc their is something wrong! This could/will be a brilliant move from the club. As more players will have to lift their games to make up for holt. Also some past players have said holt was anna sty piece of work!

HURRRAH he has gone![/quote]

Simply not a supporter of Norwich City.

Brad Johnson summer clearout? you gone mental?

People have short memoiries, Holt at times was very poor last season. It''s a good move for all parties, and a great bit of business by Norwich.

Good luck Grant for the future!

diffrence being-holt now has little to offer on the pitch, being a presence in the dressing room isnt enough, its taking up a squad place and wages. we need to go a level up from grants quality or we will get left behind in the league and find ourselves struggling.

ruddy however, this would worry me. a player in his prime who is a huge presence on the pitch-who is commanding and reliable and who will earn us many points.

not to say that im not sad to see GH leave though, he has been mr ncfc-but his time in the top league has passed. no room for sentimentality if we want to progress.

My judgement is fully reserved until the club have had a chance to sign new players. If we had just unveiled Mario Gomez, Levendowski and David Villa, then obviously i wouldn''t be to concerned. If we unveil David nugent and Francis Jeffers, i''ll be furious!

One thing i will be whatever happens is sad to see him go. It was on the cards at some point as nothing lasts forever but the cautious side of me would like to have seen him kept around until at least January to help RVW (and the others) settle in.

I thought about not reading, given that I am, personally, pleased with the Holt sale. I would say next year would have been too late, and any earlier would have been too early. I''m pretty sure that he ''wanted'' to move for his families sake and the fact that he knows he will be better off at Wigan for he will get regular games. Would he have been the same Holt with his fam being so far away and what not. This season coming, we, Norwich, couldn''t guarantee that any longer with the changes coming in. No doubt he has been a big influence on and off the pitch, and one that will be missed, but the squad is strong mentally and I''m sure they will be able to get on with the job at hand. The team has some top personalities in it, and I''m sure more will be added. His absense from the club and the impact it will have I think is being overstated personally. He did fantastic for us, and nothing can take that away or the memories its created. But, I genuinely feel that another season here wouldn''t have been beneficial to him nor us. And for the price, I think it''s a good bit of business. Time will tell, I suppose. If our strikers bang the goals in and we secure a top half finish, Holt bags a few next year for Wigan, then it''s a good deal all round and no one will rue the sale. If things turn sour and we don''t get many goals, then I''m sure this very sale will be where many fans pin their anger at the end of the season.I''m all for Holt, but I think it''s the right time to move on, for both parties.

I might have missed it, but which players have supposedly said Holt''s a nasty piece of work? Doesn''t quite fit in with the number of well wishers there have been on Twitter tonight.

[quote user="J"]I thought about not reading, given that I am, personally, pleased with the Holt sale. I would say next year would have been too late, and any earlier would have been too early. I''m pretty sure that he ''wanted'' to move for his families sake and the fact that he knows he will be better off at Wigan for he will get regular games. Would he have been the same Holt with his fam being so far away and what not. This season coming, we, Norwich, couldn''t guarantee that any longer with the changes coming in. No doubt he has been a big influence on and off the pitch, and one that will be missed, but the squad is strong mentally and I''m sure they will be able to get on with the job at hand. The team has some top personalities in it, and I''m sure more will be added. His absense from the club and the impact it will have I think is being overstated personally. He did fantastic for us, and nothing can take that away or the memories its created. But, I genuinely feel that another season here wouldn''t have been beneficial to him nor us. And for the price, I think it''s a good bit of business. Time will tell, I suppose. If our strikers bang the goals in and we secure a top half finish, Holt bags a few next year for Wigan, then it''s a good deal all round and no one will rue the sale. If things turn sour and we don''t get many goals, then I''m sure this very sale will be where many fans pin their anger at the end of the season.I''m all for Holt, but I think it''s the right time to move on, for both parties.[/quote]

top post

" and for a measly £2m"

you''ve no idea of the fee, or what money is involved whatsoever so stop making up stuff

No player has had an impact on the club the way GH has but all good things come to an end we have to move on and I for one believe in the people at the club to take us on to the next level which unfortunately didn''t include the great man

The Mirror reported £2 million. So let''s say that''s accurate for a moment... 32 year old players do not go for £2 million all that often! Especially those with no international appearances, only playing in the top flight since the age of 30, etc!

Never has one post on this board been so completely wrong. Well done. You blew the competition out of the water.

If a club does rely on one player to lift the team maybe it is unhealthy, does it make it any less correct.

Maybe it could turn out to be a brilliant move. It could just as easily prove catastrophic.

It could make other players lift their games (this was the reply to arsenal selling henry-worked well for them:o)

However I am willing to change my whole p.o.v., my opion of you, and probably my entire way of life if you can provide a shred of proof to your past bs statement.

In general I think its a year too soon. If its his choice, fair enough.Closer to his family, more game time etc. But if its us. I would have kept him as 2nd/ 3rd choice. Hes still got something left in him. And could have ''done a job''.

Lets all calm down. I predicted several months ago that when he moved his family back to Carlisle his days here were numbered. For years I have travelled the Norwich to Carlisle route for family reasons and it is a right pain 286 miles each way and not a good route. holts legacy does not need to be detailed it speaks for itself. I suspect he wanted the move for family reasons and this is an ideal fit. He has a 3 year contract and we will not have to play against him for at least another season. I wish him all the best, he has made a massive contribution to this club who in turn has rewarded him well in the latter stages of his career.We are moving on and we must be confident that new players will arrive who hopefully will leave a positive legacy with the club

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Lets all calm down. I predicted several months ago that when he moved his family back to Carlisle his days here were numbered. For years I have travelled the Norwich to Carlisle route for family reasons and it is a right pain 286 miles each way and not a good route. holts legacy does not need to be detailed it speaks for itself. I suspect he wanted the move for family reasons and this is an ideal fit. He has a 3 year contract and we will not have to play against him for at least another season. I wish him all the best, he has made a massive contribution to this club who in turn has rewarded him well in the latter stages of his career.We are moving on and we must be confident that new players will arrive who hopefully will leave a positive legacy with the club[/quote]

As always a top post Yorkshire

I have to agree , from my point of view this is one of the stupidest things we have ever done.

We now have a squad with almost zero premiership experience up front.

I am not letting history blind me but not having a transitional period before letting Holt go could well be premier league suicide even if he

was to be plan B , C or even D.

Who is to say RVW , Becchio or anyone else we bring in is going to hit the ground running ? I hope they do but if not Hughton has left

just enough rope to hang himself by. If things were sticky and Holty was available (even if he didn''t perform)  CH would probably till have

the fans onside. Without him if he gets it wrong this summer he''ll be gone by xmas. I think the jury was out anyway due to the dour football we had to endure last season.

I have to admit I have never really rated Hooper and would certainly have preferred to keep Holt until January than sign him.

We will see what happens, there has been much big talk about signings but with the exception of RVW which seems a great bit of business that''s all we have seen (Redmond seems like a bargain but hardly integral to improving the team) Frankly I don''t think there is a potential signing I could even think of that would make this make sense and maybe it would have been less risky to put our transfer budget on a horse to see if we could raise enough money for a wold class striker.

I have always been 100% behind CH but I am seriously starting to lose patience and will need more than a little convincing.

I still haven''t forgotten how angry I was when we let Vaughn go on loan last summer without replacing him (please don''t mention Kane)

He better pray RVW is world class and doesn''t get injured

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]...for a measly £2m...[/quote]

Based on his clophopping pub-team player performance in the must-win game against Reading I''m surprised we didn''t have to pay someone to take him off our wage bill...More seriously, as said a fortnight ago at the time of the supposed Palace interest, £2m is a more than fair price for a player almost certainly in terminal decline who will be 33 this next season and with no sell-on value. It really is a decent piece of business, and good business will always beat sentimentality. The latter was probably the major failing of the old regime, and led it into error, as with the blatant mistake of keeping Worthington on into the 2006-07 season. We really don''t want a return to that kind of wussy decison-making.

I agree that it is a potential disaster and just hope it doesn''t turn out to be one, but at the same time - if Holt was unhappy, then we did the right thing to let him go. We can''t really just force an unhappy player to stay against his wishes, especially one who has done so much for us. 
I just hope that we are given reason to feel optimistic again over the next week or two, we could be feeling even worse should Ruddy leave before any major signings are announced. I didn''t expect to see Ruddy leave and that one would be a much bigger shock. 

i''m not pleased or unhappy.we have offloaded a 32 year old striker coming to the end of his career...  we cannot offer him Europe, Wigan can.we now look to buy younger.. and more importantly BETTER. the club has to improve and like it or not, sentiment has no place in football. good luck Grant. now for new heroes.

Whilst obviously only time will tell on this, I think the use of the phrase "Catastrophic" is a wee bit pant wetty...