Sign in to follow this  
Dave

£2 million+ for a 32 year old

Is actually a good bit of business.

It was obvious last year that he didn''t fit in fully in CH''s style of play.

Thanks for the good times holty and when you finally move back up to Carlisle keep well away from my mother in law she''s a scary person!

32 is not actually that old these days. Whatever his age anyway, where the hell can you buy a striker who has scored 23 PL goals over the past 2 seasons? Answer, you can''t.

Consider as well that just staying up again next season gives you another £60m, rather pales a windfall of £2m into insignificance.

When we struggling in the Champ and League 1 with a £20m debt round our necks like a noose, I liked the idea of gaining monetary wise on transfers and seeking the positives forthe bank balance. Look after the pennies, etc.

But I''m afraid we are now in the big boys league with a debt free balance. Takiing the positives of minor windfalls from player sales is completely irrelevant these days, or it is when said player is still a key component of the team.

It''s like watching Richard Branson go shopping in Anglian Square and picking up a couple of coppers he spots on the floor. It won''t happen as he''s setting his sights rather higher than perhaps the days when he was busking on street corners...

A £2m transfer windfall is potentially rather counter productive here.

perhaps you could actually break that figure down, given how you seem to know how much this transfer of Grant Holt registration wasis the figure you are quoting merely the cost of buying out the remainder of his contract with City ?does that figure include any'' fee'' ie extra money over an and above that buying out, if so how much was the contract and how much was that fee ?does that figure include a signing on fee ?does that figure include the agents fees ?and does that fee include ant future appearance, promotion etc fees  ?or are those latter three possible fees on top of the fee you have quoted ?

ps maybe if you asked the City club official who told it was £2m they might be able to tell you the rest

[quote user="flecky76"]32 is not actually that old these days. Whatever his age anyway, where the hell can you buy a striker who has scored 23 PL goals over the past 2 seasons? Answer, you can''t.

Consider as well that just staying up again next season gives you another £60m, rather pales a windfall of £2m into insignificance.

When we struggling in the Champ and League 1 with a £20m debt round our necks like a noose, I liked the idea of gaining monetary wise on transfers and seeking the positives forthe bank balance. Look after the pennies, etc.

But I''m afraid we are now in the big boys league with a debt free balance. Takiing the positives of minor windfalls from player sales is completely irrelevant these days, or it is when said player is still a key component of the team.

It''s like watching Richard Branson go shopping in Anglian Square and picking up a couple of coppers he spots on the floor. It won''t happen as he''s setting his sights rather higher than perhaps the days when he was busking on street corners...

A £2m transfer windfall is potentially rather counter productive here.[/quote]

The £30k p/w he was on was not insignificant though.

Ya it is if you''re a Prem team and he''s the guy who made it happen and maintain. And had not shown he wasn''t still much more than very capable and looked t be in midseason shape and was our only proven striker.

If we were a fish and chip shop, then losing a 30k/week wage would matter, but we''re not and you need to stop thinking like we are if you wanna stay in the big leagues.

[quote user="flecky76"]

Consider as well that just staying up again next season gives you another £60m, rather pales a windfall of £2m into insignificance. [/quote]1) This point is only valid if selling Holt = relegation. In my opinion this won''t be the case. Even so, an evaluation on this will be better judged at the end of the transfer window when we have a squad in place.2) You tell any business that they can increase their revenue by almost 4%, they''d bite you hand off. £2m is not insignificant!

I love the fact that some on here don''t listen to the player himself, last night on the TV Holt''s interview was all about him saying it was the right time and right move for him, surely Holt deserves to have what he wants after his great service.

2 million might not sound like much but we brought a 19 year old on an initial fee of 2 million, not to be sniffed at. The cub get a good return on the initial 400K and not to mention Holts big part in the 140 million + this club has / will receive from three seasons up in the premeirship.

Good business all round and everyone gets what they want, City a good return, Wigan a great player and Holty to be playing up north near his family.

An absolute legend of corse.

But as a club we are moving forward.

Obviously by what was said Holt isn''t going to get a lot of game time. Which only means we have other strikers coming in.

Good move for both parties imho.

Holt moves nearer to his family and we get a good fee for a player that is 32.

£2 mil more towards the transfer kitty.

OTBC Holty gone but NEVER forgotten.

What is this nonsense about him not getting playing time? Every season he is not good enogh in July and every season he proves his doubters and supposed supporters wrong.

He was our only proven striker so until someone else proves otherwise it is a stupid gamble to let him go.

As to the interview, what did you expect him to say? Last week''s chat was all about how he was pleased with things here.

His value to the squad was far more than his sale value especially if his going costs us relegation.

Absolutely, Holt''s value far exceeded £2m - it''s the cost of replacing Holt not his transfer cost which should be considered. We now need two strikers, and arguably three given Hughton''s unwillingness to play Becchio. A terrible decision imo.

This was great business by Hughton and the board, yes we lost a club legend, but was he going to be a huge feature this season?

32 years old, naturally on the decline, and as we all know with Holty he takes a good 5-6 weeks at the start of a season to be where he wants to be with his game, I am surprised at the 3 year deal though, everyone understands he wants to play for his hometown club, but do you think he will still be playing at 35? I''m not sure personally but pleased for him and for us with this move.

You are confusing Holt''s worth now, to what he has contributed to the last 4 years. The value of a 32yr old , not going to be a regular starter in a Prem team, has been set (if what we read as the truth) at the right level.

Every footballer gets to a stage, where the value starts to diminish. We are there with Grant, and, as a fan, sentiment plays a bigger part of our thinking, than say the Board, who have to balance the business side, and more importantly, what the Manager requires. Also do not underestimate what Grant may have said during this process.

Seeing as he probably would not have got a kick this year it''s the difference between having a couple of million in the bank or throwing a million and a half away. As he seemed quite happy to go I don''t know what people are whinging about.

ok we are chasing the game need a goal Rvw hasn''t scored and looking jaded 20 mins to go who do you put on a proven goalscorer Holt or Becchio ? 2million will not get another grant holt !

Holt was the best striker out of misfiring bunch last season. The previous is a different story being a younger, fitter and first time in the Premiership.

People forget the club is going progressing nicely, we have a new stiker and others will follow. If anyone believes the club won''t get players in better than last season then you have to question their belief. 

The Winkle is already eager to get the work done for us to bolster his chances of getting to the 2014 World Cup. Not to turn up and take the money. If he lasts a year after a cracking season, so be it but we do have a striker in place.

It''s those others who replace the likes of Jackson, Martin, Kamara and Morison where fans should be looking at. Yet reading such posts on this 50% bed wetting site, we''re already doomed, so bring these strikers back ready for the Championship.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Would Forlan, Beckham or Drogba be sold for £2 million because they are in their 30''s ?[/quote]You''re not being serious are you?

ncfcstar wrote - "You''re not being serious are you?"

Unfortunately I think he is. Seems like half the FMs here are seriously deluded pant-wetters of the highest order.

When will people understand simple economics?! Someone who is 32 on big money will very rarely move for a big fee. You have to take into account wages and signing on fee and the fact that after 2 or 3 years, they will be pretty much worthless.

Say Villa was on £100k a week at Barca on a 3 year deal. He is unlikely to allow a wage cut of much, say £20k at most for the regular football. A signing on fee will generally be a years contract and then an agents fee on top of that to boot.

At £80k a week, that''s £4m a year with the same signing on fee and call it around £2m agent fee. Given Villa has a 3 year deal, that''s £18m spent already without even considering a fee. The £5m on top takes this to £23m.

Now take Jordan Henderson, he was probably on £20k a week at sunderland.

He will have doubled his money probably at Liverpool to £40k which means £3m fees and £2m a year wages on a 3 year deal.

Wages alone now cost £9m over 3 years with the fee of £20m dependant on a few things. This means a maximum of £29m spent over the 3 years and if that''s the case, he''ll have done well and have a sell on value (given he''ll still be only 25 years old) of similar if not more. If he does rubbish, i reckon at least £5m can be knocked off that fee and £24m has been gambled.

1 thing is for certain, on the whole, Henderson did not cost 4 times as much as Villa in the grand scheme of things.

Why don''t some of you see who we actually start the season with and how well they perform before judging whether this was a good decision or not?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]A signing on fee will generally be a years contract [/quote]
Not that high, more like a bit under half a years wages according to major PFA survey that I read once. Probably more for a Bosman mind if the player is high profile. 

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]A signing on fee will generally be a years contract [/quote]
Not that high, more like a bit under half a years wages according to major PFA survey that I read once. Probably more for a Bosman mind if the player is high profile. 
[/quote]
Plus they are usually spread over the length of the contract and dependent on loyalty.

Its not the money, It''s that we let go and he team leader without anyone PROVEN who can relace him. All the best intangibles like his attitude on the field which other players fed off to become more confident individually and as a team that helped us win points we would not havr.

Couple that with the annual pre-season predictions of how he''s not good enough which he proves wrong and it''s not hard to see why many of us didn''t want him gone before the new season has started.

It''s not pant wetting to question changing a proven, working recipe.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Its not the money, It''s that we let go and he team leader without anyone PROVEN who can relace him. [/quote]
I''m gutted to see him gone but he was unhappy here and so letting him go was the right thing to do. I''ve driven to Carlisle, it was horrendous. He was doing that every week to see his young kids, can''t have been an enjoyable year for him. Would have been unfair to force him to stay so good luck to him. 

I''m pretty sure he wasn''t driving to Carlisle every week. As horrendous as the city may be, he could afford to fly most of the way there. Also they could visit here. The being close to family angle is being way overplayed.

But he did not fly;

Anthony Pilkington ‏@Pilkington_11 14h

All the best @Grantholt31 it''s strangely quiet now you have gone!! Good luck pal! Save the miles on that Aston 😉

[quote user="Chip20"]Why don''t some of you see who we actually start the season with and how well they perform before judging whether this was a good decision or not?[/quote]

Good point Chip.

I would go further. Wait till the end of next season. Then we''ll know whether this was probably maybe a good decision or not with the benefit of hindsight.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]I''m pretty sure he wasn''t driving to Carlisle every week. [/quote]
I''m pretty sure he did. He would sometimes go Sunday and return as late as Wednesday.
[quote] As horrendous as the city may be [/quote]
The drive was horrendous, the city is quite pleasant. 
[quote] he could afford to fly most of the way there. [/quote]
Easier said than done, Norwich airport has very limited service, would have been just as slow as driving to get from Norwich to Carlisle by plane. 
[quote] The being close to family angle is being way overplayed.[/quote]
I don''t think so, his kids are very young, he is a devoted father and he was very obviously missing them like mad.