Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Back

Promising quote from Alderweireld's dad

Saw an article on Voetbal International (dutch football website)  saying the player, his dad, and his agent were coming over today for talks.  I wasn''t that convinced at first, but I''ve just seen a quote from his dad saying:''It''s true Toby had clubs in mind which are higher on the table, but the complete picture counts. Norwich have showed ambition and it would be short-sighted to say no in advance because they finished 11th''So these rumours definitely have some legs,  whether it turns into a signing or not is a different matter.  Lets all cross our fingers and hope!

here''s the artcile.   It''s in Dutch but google translate gives you a rough idea what it sayshttp://www.ajaxshowtime.com/hoofdnieuws/71607/pa-alderweireld-kijken-naar-totaalplaatje-.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=Tweetstart

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Should have gone to Specsavers;

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2943832/ShowPost.aspx[/quote]My apologies.  

I wouldn''t say it''s all that promising. I''d say it''s more that they are 95% sure of his destination already but will come to us to see if we can blow the other team out of the water in terms of wages. If not, he will go where they have already (pretty much) decided.

Row D Seat 7 wrote - "I wouldn''t say it''s all that promising. I''d say it''s more that they are 95% sure of his destination already but will come to us to see if we can blow the other team out of the water in terms of wages. If not, he will go where they have already (pretty much) decided."

What other team? Have I missed something?

95% sure of his destination? If his dad is to be believed, us and Bremen are the only two clubs to contact Ajax and they can''t afford him.

Liverpool have showed as much interest in him as Spurs and Arsenal (also ''rumoured'' to be interested) have. He can''t go where he is not wanted.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I heard we were one of two Prem teams. The other being Liverpool.[/quote]

Liverpool have been linked with him but his dad is also quoted as saying there have not been any other offers. I don''t read these quotes as you do. i read them as saying he was envisaging higher in the table teams being interested but it has not transpired and he can see we are ambitious and they have an open mind.

By the same token its clearly by no means a done deal!

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I heard we were one of two Prem teams. The other being Liverpool.[/quote]

Liverpool aren''t in for him - there are going after the Porto defender Ilori instead.

As Toby''s father said, only two clubs have made contact with Ajax, Norwich and Leverkusen, who later pulled out of the deal and signed another defender.

I have doubts whether Norwich will be able to get him or Fer as I imagine other teams will be looking to snipe these deals at the last minute. But fingers crossed.