Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

WIGAN about to announce signing

He said on Sky that he wouldn''t have got much game time with the new signings coming in. That surely means we have a replacement already booked in.

I agree absolutely GJL. Holt was a legend and from his personal perspective this is undoubtedly what he wanted. I fear we will live to rue this day.

People have short memoiries, Holt at times was very poor last season. It''s a good move for all parties, and a great bit of business by Norwich.

Good luck Grant for the future.

[quote user="Robert Barnes"]Really don''t understand why everybody is so upset with this.The team is moving on and up,we need new and younger players,if we want to stay in the prem.How long do you think hotly would be able to play in the prem.He has been excellent for us and will leave us with great memory''s.[/quote]

You ''really don''t understand why everybody is upset by this'' ?. I maybe wrong but you live in Canada, so maybe you''ve not had the opportunity to see the bloke sweat blood and tears for the team in the flesh.

In 36 years I''ve never seen a City player fight so hard for the team, even when playing in a system where goals were harder to come by - all I can say is good luck to us finding another like Grant Holt.

Fucking gutted.

The End Of The Affair.

Another ending, another beginning. Life is full of little deaths like this; & on such a beautiful day. I feel elegiac. I might even write a poem.

He was a one off. Roy of the Rovers. Whoever replaces him will never replace him, no matter what his footballing abilities.

The club has developed into something almost magical over the past few years, & now I fear the spell is broken.

Good luck, Grant, & God bless.

It was obvious last season that Holt wasn''t happy even though he signed a new contract. It rarely works trying to keep an unsettled player and although the fee agreed is undisclosed it must have been enough to satisfy Mr McNally & Co. I''d have liked to see how next season panned out with Holt on board but from a personal point of view I expect the player''s pretty happy about this, especially as he''s much more likely to get regular games, albeit in a lower League, and he''ll be far closer to his family too.Always a sad day when a popular player departs but we''ve seen younger players leave for much larger sums. That''s just how it is in football or indeed any other sport.Good luck Holty. You''ll always be a City legend.

Lifted (with slight adjustment) from WOTB:

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone

Prevent the Nanas barking with a juicy bone.

Silence the normals and with muffled drum

Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let combine harvesters circle in the sun

Scribbling on the fields the message He is Gone,

Put crépe bows round the white necks of the public doves,

Let Ruddy, Nash and Bunn wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,

My working week and my Sunday rest,

My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song,

I thought that mug would last forever: I was wrong

The stars are not wanted now, put out every one;

Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;

Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.

For nothing now can ever come to any good.

Who would have guessed Auden was a Norwich fan? And so prescient too.

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="Robert Barnes"]Really don''t understand why everybody is so upset with this.The team is moving on and up,we need new and younger players,if we want to stay in the prem.How long do you think hotly would be able to play in the prem.He has been excellent for us and will leave us with great memory''s.[/quote] You ''really don''t understand why everybody is upset by this'' ?. I maybe wrong but you live in Canada, so maybe you''ve not had the opportunity to see the bloke sweat blood and tears for the team in the flesh. In 36 years I''ve never seen a City player fight so hard for the team, even when playing in a system where goals were harder to come by - all I can say is good luck to us finding another like Grant Holt. F**king gutted.[/quote]

This.

No. I feel like my girlfriend has left me for an ugly ginger guy with bad skin.

Utterly gutted.

Good luck Holty, thanks for the good times pal. Club legend.

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="Robert Barnes"]Really don''t understand why everybody is so upset with this.The team is moving on and up,we need new and younger players,if we want to stay in the prem.How long do you think hotly would be able to play in the prem.He has been excellent for us and will leave us with great memory''s.[/quote]

You ''really don''t understand why everybody is upset by this'' ?. I maybe wrong but you live in Canada, so maybe you''ve not had the opportunity to see the bloke sweat blood and tears for the team in the flesh.

In 36 years I''ve never seen a City player fight so hard for the team, even when playing in a system where goals were harder to come by - all I can say is good luck to us finding another like Grant Holt.

Fucking gutted.[/quote]

Thankyou Alex for summing up so well how I and the vast majority of the Canary nation are feeling.

Absolutely gutted Holty has left us. Maybe it was time to part was but that doesn''t make it any easier to deal with.Good luck to him at Wigan where I''m sure he''ll be a legend for them.........I''m off for a few beers to console myself!

Gutted, thought he definitely had another year at least at this level. But it looks a good move for him personally and I don''t begrudge him that as he may not have got much game time here this coming season.

Good luck at Wigan, all the best for the future.

I may live in Canada now,but I was born in Norwich,Watched hundreds of games and have lived trough things like this before.All I am saying is this was expected sooner or later it does no good to get so upset over it it''s done lets carry on.Agreed hotly is and will be a legend.Now we can look forward to having new players that will become legends also

quote user Robert Barnes "I may live in Canada now,but I was born in Norwich,Watched hundreds of games and have lived trough things like this before.All I am saying is this was expected sooner or later it does no good to get so upset over it it''s done lets carry on.Agreed hotly is and will be a legend.Now we can look forward to having new players that will become legends also"

Yes but you have never watched Holt live, so how do you know how people feel? You don''t. You may have seen other players leave but they weren''t Grant Holt and they probably didn''t drag the club from the hell hole to the dizzy heights of the Premier League like he did. And it does no good getting so upset over something you care about? Gosh I''d hate to like life advice from you. That''s like saying "you''re not allowed to grieve, put that to one side and move on". Feeling emotions is an important part of life. It''s how you grow as a person. People here (me included) will feel sad for a bit and then gain perspective. It''s natural. People feel sad because Grant Holt meant something to them. He meant something to me because he brought me so many happy memories on the football pitch. It''s like losing a friend who you cared about, you feel sad for a while and eventually move on. Have you never felt those feelings before or are you really that hollow?

Anyway, just found this video (link below) and it made me smile. This is what he is going back to by moving up north, his girls. He says in the video he hasn''t seen them for 10 days which must be quite tough at times for a parent. At least now he gets to spent more quality time with them. Good luck Grant!

http://youtu.be/cs_kTerOPtY

Great player & a sad day. A huge part of the clubs phoenix like rise from the Ashes. A hat trick in his second game, 1st City player for nearly 50 years to score 30 in a season. A hat trick against Ipswich and in the Champs team of the season. Also played through a torn hamstring for the final 6 odd games that year. Then 17 goals in our first season back inc goals against Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool & Everton. Finally signed off with goals in his last 3 games.

However, if he was going to be a peripheral figure this season then best he leaves now - I wouldn''t want to see him reduced to cup ties & the odd sub appearance.

Best wishes "Super Grant Holt".

''However, if he was going to be a peripheral figure this season then best he leaves now - I wouldn''t want to see him reduced to cup ties & the odd sub appearance. ''

This. Couldn''t agree more Evesham. He leaves us as top scorer yet again and our memories of him won''t diminish as he plays the odd 10 minutes here or there. Grant needs to play and if the deal is right for him and the club then he goes surely with all of our best wishes and thanks.

He will always be a City hero. Thanks for everything Holty!

Our resurgence as a club is forever intertwined with GH''s rise as a player and a leader.

All are on the brink of a new chapter, and we can only hope that the decisions made work for all involved. This day was always going to come, and I for one are thankful that he leaves with only good memories.

One thing''s for sure. It''s time for new leaders to step forward.

Actually I have seen grant holt play I was at the man city game may 19 also at the first 3 home games I am not saying I know how people feel all the crying is not bringing him back its done he was great for us but that''s it if we did this all the time players left my heavens we would all have breakdowns we have had great players leave before and we got through it same with this

I don''t think anybody here is crying Robert (well, not many anyway), we just feel sad. And yes loads of players leave all the time, but Grant Holt was a one off, hence the special reaction he is getting to his departure.