Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

WIGAN about to announce signing

Gutted but its like an old car. Sad to see it go but your always looking for an upgrade. Good luck Grant. Enjoy Europe next season.

I just hope i never have to see him play against us.

Proper gutted, i really think he had one more year at this level but i guess he then wouldnt have got a 3 year deal elsewhere. For me he sits unrivalled as the greatest player.

It''s sad but the time was right . GH will go down as the single most important signing in our history and all for 400,000 ! Good luck big fella .

I''ve seen plenty of our best players sold over the years and been gutted each time.....Fashanu,Fleck,Sutton,Watson,Woods,Bruce,Eadie,Bellamy the list goes on.................but what makes this one worse is that it seems to be of our own choice?.....absolute madness

I think the time was right for him to go. After putting in a transfer request last summer, I don''t think he wanted to be here and his goals scored this past season, told the whole story. Scored the goals that got us to we''re we are now, so best of luck to him.

I trust CH and the board to know what they are doing and I expect to see a quality replacement but I''m gutted all the same.

I really would have rather we kept holt even if he had no market value next year.

Sorry to say this but I think Ruddy will be next.

Both will be massively missed if the latter proves to also be the case but if you have decent players you have to expect the bigger teams to come in for them.

I''m not saying I''m not gutted but I would expect the board to pull a rabbit out of the hat and by the end of the week we will be talking about who''s come in and not who''s gone out.

Got to have faith chaps

Shame I hoped him one year for teams sake, but mayby it is better to remember him as our first eleven player than a tactical choise for Wolfy.

Great player with great attitude on the pitch. Player that I will miss in every game where team seems to be out of energy and afraid of physical game.

All the best for him! 2010 shirt with his signing and name on it will be on my wall long as I''m able to decide for myself ^^

Genuinely gutted.

For as long as I''ve supported the club (late 80''s) we''ve always been a selling club, so you''d think by now I''d be used to seeing our best players go.

Fleck, Sutton, Eadie, Bellamy, Hucks. This is much worse. I''ve never seen any player have the impact on the club that Holt has, I doubt I''ll ever be fortunate enough to see another like him.

IFLGH

[quote user="crabbycanary"]''Our own choice'' GJL? How do you reckon that? Bert - I presume you don''t run your own business?[/quote]

how do I reckon that?.....didn''t we go through all of that ordeal last summer to give him the 3 year contract he wanted?....wth 2 years of it still remaining we''ve accepted the transfer offer and let him go.

also, after when asked after the Man City game on the last day of  season as to whether he would be here next, Holt replied "that''s up to the manager and chief executive,if they still want me here, I''ll be ready to go again" .....

He was inspirational in League One and the Championship, and took his game up a level in that first Premier League season.  Without doubt my favourite Norwich City player of the last ten years, and, for character alone, probably my favourite of all time.In the same way that my father used to bore me with stories about Kevin Keelan, I''ll be telling my kids and grandkids stories about Grant Holt.  Without question, a Norwich City legend.

I have said in other posts, that do you not think that Holt may have had a big say in this? Also, do you think that McNally and Hughton are clueless and do not have something in the planning for a replacement.

The Man City game was a long time ago.

I think this is what both the club and Holt wanted, Hughton clearly doesnt have him in his plans next season so getting 2.5 million and freeing his wages helps the club. Grant gets to be with his family and continue to play regually. I just hope we push on and this doesnt come back to haunt us, cos if we dont get replacements in that perfom then this will be dragged up time and time again when he is scoring week in week out.

That''s a very one-sided spin.

I reckon Holt was told he would only be a bit part player this season, Wigan came in with an offer that suited all parties and the rest is history. Maybe not even in that order.

Quote shamelessly stolen from a mate on Facebook :-"There you go Paul Lambert, thats how to walk away from a club with your head held high"

Really don''t understand why everybody is so upset with this.The team is moving on and up,we need new and younger players,if we want to stay in the prem.How long do you think hotly would be able to play in the prem.He has been excellent for us and will leave us with great memory''s.

We''ve now got a massive transitional shift to complete in a very short space of time. Strikeforce will be very unexperienced in the PL. Also with potentially numerous more acquisitions, hope this wasn''t a season to early to make such a big change

[quote user="Robert Barnes"]Really don''t understand why everybody is so upset with this.The team is moving on and up,we need new and younger players,if we want to stay in the prem.How long do you think hotly would be able to play in the prem.He has been excellent for us and will leave us with great memory''s.[/quote]

can''t speak for anyone else but the reason why I''m ''so upset'' is that up until 45 mins ago Holt was still one of the best 2 strikers at the club (and thats with me guessing how good RVW maybe). with our record of signing much needed strikers in the last 2 transfer windows being less than successful,  I can once again foresee us going into a season short of firepower and once again sitting up ''til midnight on the August transfer window only to be once again dissappointed.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Robert Barnes"]Really don''t understand why everybody is so upset with this.The team is moving on and up,we need new and younger players,if we want to stay in the prem.How long do you think hotly would be able to play in the prem.He has been excellent for us and will leave us with great memory''s.[/quote]

can''t speak for anyone else but the reason why I''m ''so upset'' is that up until 45 mins ago Holt was still one of the best 2 strikers at the club (and thats with me guessing how good RVW maybe). with our record of signing much needed strikers in the last 2 transfer windows being less than successful,  I can once again foresee us going into a season short of firepower and once again sitting up ''til midnight on the August transfer window only to be once again dissappointed.

[/quote]

oh and for what its worth, given a higher standard of service coming from midfield, Holt definitely has another Premiership season left in him