Sign in to follow this  
super dave

4 mil bid for hooper rejected

According to the Scottish express

I imagine we''re testing the water before going back in with a higher bid.

Personally i wouldn''t want to see us pay anymore than 6mil.

Celtic want 6M according todays report. He will be a Norwich player by the end of the week.....hopefully

Report in Mail claiming Hooper would prefer us over Rs:

"Norwich and QPR crank up bids for in-demand striker Celtic striker Hooper

Celtic are to reject two official £4million bids for star striker Gary Hooper from English Premier League side Norwich City and Championship outfit QPR.

But the Parkhead club is bracing itself for fresh offers from both clubs and senior sources close to the player last night confirmed to Sportsmail that the 25-year-old has now told Celtic of his preference to quit the club this summer for Carrow Road.

Hooper, who has one year left on his contract, will be going nowhere, however, unless Norwich can up their bid to match Celtic’s £6m valuation of the striker, who cost £2m when he moved to the SPL champions from Scunthorpe in 2011."

Celtic need to just let go already. In 6 months he is free to talk to who he wants and with their season starting earlier will give them sufficient time to bring in his replacement.

Plus Hooper needs to move if he has any aspirations of trying to break into the England set up.

If we want him we need to just stop messing about and put in a bid they will accept. They have already turned down £4m from Hull. Just get on with it.

Agree with the points made above. I hope he signs, but realistically we can''t be temped to pay more than 6 million for this fella!!!

What alternative do you all have in mind? There''s talent on the continent, but a great deal of it would cost us even more I reckon.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

If we want him we need to just stop messing about and put in a bid they will accept. They have already turned down £4m from Hull. Just get on with it.

[/quote]

Agreed. With Holt already gone and Villa about to be in the market for strikers with a large pot of cash we need to act fast or we risk a repeat of the last 2 windows.

This feels a bit like ''old'' news in some respects, certainly regarding us and £4m - we might be in for him, but there was talk of a £4m+ offer several weeks ago.

It does seem something around the £5m mark should do, which is about right as he is in his last year. If CH really does want him it is probably time to stop farting about and get him.

Celtic play Greuther Furth this evening. Maybe we''ll get an Olsson-esque MIA from Hooper, suggesting he''s taking a quick hop over the border for some strudel and a chat with Hughton.

I think with potentially Villa and Hull sniffing around, we need to put £5m on the table and sort him out quickly. He knows the english game and where the back of the net is and also has played well versus some of europes bigger clubs. There aren''t many strikers available for £5m with that pedigree that are still 25 or younger.

Sew this one up and move on to the rest of our targets.

I still think we can do better than Hooper, really not that keen on him coming here

I do despair at some people on here! God help you if you ever become business people! Celtic have a valuation, Norwich want to pay as little as possible (who wouldn''t!?) You then negotiate until, hopefully you reach a compromise.

I know it''s an un British thing to do but haggling and negotiating means that you get the best deal possible.

And the reason why we are now offering less than what we offered in January is that Hopper has 6 months less left on his contract. He is now in the ball park of his value rapidly diminishing. We know that, Celtic knows that, everybody knows that!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I think with potentially Villa and Hull sniffing around, we need to put £5m on the table and sort him out quickly. He knows the english game and where the back of the net is and also has played well versus some of europes bigger clubs. There aren''t many strikers available for £5m with that pedigree that are still 25 or younger. Sew this one up and move on to the rest of our targets.[/quote]

Totally agree Jimmy.[Y]

It may well be that Hooper wants to come here. He may have stated this to Celtic. If he states (or we can get him to state)we are the only destination he wants why should we rush? Why should we then offer anything like £4m? Why shouldn''t we play hardball in the big league? Indeed we must...and must be seen to...

If Hughton has decided that he wants Hooper don''t mess about and risk losing him, he could be a £4m flop or a £6m bargain, only time will tell!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Didn''t they reject our £5M bid in January? Why are we negotiating by offering less now?[/quote]

January prices are inflated because:

a: the timeframe to do business is shorter

b: there are fewer players available than the summer

c: buying clubs tend to be panic-buying in January, either to boost a promotion push or to keep out of the relegation zone and are more desperate.

Case in point RVW, we purchased him in March at a lower price than Lisbon wanted in January.

McNally doesn''t do panic

Add to this that Hooper can move to us next summer on a free (agree the deal as early as January). Perhaps we''d be better loaning a striker for the year (or getting an anelka type for a year) while we wait for Hooper to turn up on a free.

Someone like Holty could have been useful while we waited :-P

If we don''t get this done soon our realistic options begin to look in short supply and we will endup with Harry Kane on loan again, and then god help us.

Get the deal done before villa start sniffing and the whole thing bites us in the rear.

This is a signing we really need to be making as far as I''m concerned and even more so now holt has left.

Imo we should just get the job done get him here. I know some worry about him stepping up but what i have seen of him and by what my pals tell me who are Celtic fans, he has great movement, the knack of being in the right place and a natural goalscorer, scoring goals from all angles and ranges, 5 mill if that is what it takes is not expensive in today''s market.

No idea whether Hooper is worth it, but with the price inflation in the transfer market the going rate for a striker of his pedigree in his mid-20s with a year left on his contract is probably close to the £7m we had rejected in January. I doubt a total  Â£5m would get him.