Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Nick Powell on loan? I hope it's a pie in the sky rumour!

I''m pretty sure that his time last year everyone was hoping we may get him from Crewe...not that much has changed since, has it? Other than a year training and being coached by the champions and SAF.

I''d happily have him, he''d be desperate to prove himself. He could easily be one of those big club loans like Wilshere/Welbeck/Sturridge that do really well.

A lot depends upon if we get any of the midfielders being linked with eg Fey or Toivonen. If we do I cannot see a youngster on loan getting any game time. Also at EPL level loans of young players are a bit of a punt. Naughton was a success and Kane was not. I can see Powell going to the championship on loan first

I would much prefer to build a squad for us than get a player from Manure and give him the benefit of our coaching staff, time and effort.

Powell is an unproven Premiership quantity, he will have to gain experience somewhere, I just hope we don''t potentially waste our time to see if can make the step up.

If we were buying him I would feel different.

Tend to agree CU. Unless this kid in exceptional I don''t see much point in training someone else''s player. I think we have moved on enough not to bother with this sort of loan.

He is exceptional. Turns nothing into something very easily and he is a real danger from 30 yards out and nearer. Be a lovely acquisition.

? I don''t get your thinking.

If he was , say at Fulham or Sunderland, then yes, but he is at Man Utd. Are you saying that our coaching is better than at Man U? It might well be on a par, but infinitely better?.

He''s the same player, wether we pay a transfer fee or loan him. Surely, as he is unproven, then we would be better off getting him on loan, and like has been said, he could prove a bit of a diamond.

Could just be the sort of player we need to spark up the midfield.   Last season proved our midfield need something.    This is the kind of signing we should be looking at imo, loan or buying.

Its the Sun................nothing to see here, next.[:|]

We''re in our 3rd season of PL football. We don''t need loans to help other teams players develop.

We only need loans with an option to by said player at the end of the season.

WBA helped produce a fantastic prospect but won''t see any end result. One very good season and that is it. Back to square one. That''s why I am not that keen.

[quote user="Muddy funster"]He is exceptional. [/quote]
Indeed he is an exceptional talent, and likely to be England''s next Frank Lampard, but he has only played 6 competitive games in a year since coming from League Two. Despite being potentially England''s best young prospect at the moment, this would have serious potential to be a Harry Kane type signing. Think he should be going out on loan to the Championship for a year, and then thinking about finding a Premier League club, just not enough experience for me so I''m out. 

If our major transfer targets have fallen through then I''d prefer this option which would help protect our transfer budget until we can bring the "right" players in.  Powell''s an attacking midfielder, isn''t he?  If Toivonen, Fer et al don''t want to come here then this becomes a good tactical option.

Was basically a striker at Crewe but Ferguson saw him as a centre mid. He is quite a big lad so can mix it in the middle, but think his goals are going to be what sets him apart, he''s the next Lampard. 

That''s it Herman though, they had a very good season. They are back to where they were a year ago, but have more money in the bank, and had a very good (low risk/low outlay) striker for a year.

[quote user="Hackedoff"]We''re in our 3rd season of PL football. We don''t need loans to help other teams players develop.

We only need loans with an option to by said player at the end of the season.[/quote]I see your point of view, but there''s also the question of what the loan player can do for the club (as others have noted, Lukaku being a shining example).  If this is a tactical move to safeguard our transfer budget until the right players come along, and if he can do a job for us and impress Moyes while doing so, then it''s good all round as far as I''m concerned.

Nothing wrong with a loan or two, but I do prefer loans which have the potential to become a permanent transfer. We must have doubled Naughton''s value and in the process priced ourselves out of buying him. Powell should only arrive if we don''t find a player of suitable quality and suitable price on a permanent though, because there is no chance that we''d be able to buy him. 

I think Powell, if true, is in case of one of Fer or Toivonen doesn''t happen as I think the club wants both as they would play completely different places. Fer in the deeper pair whilst Toivonen up top or off the front man. Powell could cover in the deeper area potentially as the guy who gets forward or as the man in the hole.

I have no idea if he is as ready as Naughton or not like Kane

We need players to improve the squad, nick Powell would improve the squad.

If we were looking to buy him from Crewe we would all be saying what a brilliant signing.

I think he''ll offer something to the squad and would be happy to see him here

[quote user="Herman "]Tend to agree CU. Unless this kid in exceptional I don''t see much point in training someone else''s player. I think we have moved on enough not to bother with this sort of loan.[/quote]

Yeah, what a silly idea. So silly that they finished inside the top ten. What idiots.

I''d rather have a player for one season of brilliance than not at all. His impact could be to lift us up positions in the table, push for good runs in the cups or maybe even win one?

The reality is that some of the players we sign this year could be just as likely to move on if they play well and are an instant success. Look at Benteke. Sure there is an argument that as they are owned you can make profit on them but its the same issue. How do you replace someone that has had that impact.

The new boy - I would say naughton''s value didn''t increase iwouldsay it warranted it. When he and walker moved from united they looked amazing. We knew what we were getting in naughton and he proved it. For me our best defender that season, should have been in the top 3 players at the end of year. Fox was not worthy of top 3 and I do think if naughton had been here we would have had a very strong defence. Ido think Martin and Whittaker were very capable. Goals came down the right side of our defence I noted in the second half of the season but with naughton I would have total faith.

I would still take naughton in a heartbeat.

Powell is an improvement on what we have, I do want us to go to Europe to pickpermenant signings but Powell could be a good addition in addition to fer and ola. We need choices and a 25 where we have two teams capable of putting out in the prem knowing we have strength.last season our bench looked inept to change a game so we need game changes, quality and headline writers.

I just love the summer.

I don''t understand why CR should be interested in the loan. He is an additional player, at low cost, admittedly, and so could allow us to spend the rest of our transfer budget on two or three good and established players. He surely will not get many games. I could see more point in signing a player of his age by transfer, - we have - Redmond, but Powel  would require us to train him up for another club. I don''t see what his club get out of it - he would not be in their 25, so are they just looking for us to provide experience?

A few weeks ago there was talk of loan of Livermore from Spurs. This would have made more sense - he has surely played more first team games already?