Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

How good will Jonson be in the Championship?

I think Mattias Jonson has had a very good first season in the Premiership.

The only disappointment for me is that he has never scored a goal for us! That is pretty bad when you look at how many goals some of the other attacking midfielders have got. Still, he worked his socks off this year and all in all I would say he was a good buy. At Portmouth he was awesome in that driving rain, even filling in at left back. I would say he was man of the match that day.

I understand he has netted a few for his country so it is a mystery. Anyway, next year in the Championship I can see him being a revelation! I think Jonson will turn provider and also score quite a few...sending us back to the Premiership in style!

Not sure if he will last another season in the Premiership after that but I think he has a role to get us back up.

Anyone else agree on that?

I certainly agree on the fact he is going to be an important player for us next season. But he hasn''t had a great season this year. He was a club record buy at the time... and he hasn''t lived up to that valuation. I cannot knock his commitment and effort but he just never had the confidence to do anything. He is "meant" to be really fast but he never gave himself a chance to run with the ball, just turn round and pass it back.

Should be interesting to see him bombing down the right wing next year...

I agree with you Canary Boy that Jonson should be a good player in the Championship. Whilst I think it is a bit OTT to say that he had a "very good first season in the Premiership" I''m sure he''ll be more than good enough for the next level down.

The fact is that as we found out; the hard way; there is a massive gulf between the Championship and the Prem. Obviously that worked against us in the season just gone, but I am convinced that players like Jonson and Docherty who struggled a bit in the Prem will look really good in the Championship.

Lets face it our whole team looked really good in the Championship last time, but struggled in the Prem.

I wouldn''t say he''s had a "very good" first season but I certainly rate him as a player.  IMO he has all the right atrributes to be a very good winger.  If he stays I think he''ll be the nuts in 1st Div!  He obviously has pace but doesn''t use it enough for my liking.  It''s taken him a while to settle in but I think Jonson will have a good season next year (if he stays)

hope he shows us something, but not convinced,
the jury is still out there but I think worthy
will give him a big chance this season.

When I first read this from Canary Boy, I assumed that it must be a wind up. Obviously not!

I have spoken about Jonson before and I thought the arguments (for and against) were well and truly documented but here we go again. IMO the guy is poor, very, very poor (and that''s an understatement). Why should he be any better in The Championship? If you show absolutely no aptitude for shooting, no aptitude for taking your man on and crossing then why should you suddenly start to do it next season? There are some very good, tough tackling fullbacks in The Championship and the physical intensity is just as great (if not more so) than The Premier. It''s the quality on the ball which is less. Jonson comes from a world where the game is played at a slower pace and (at 31) it is far too late in his career to change how he plays.

Right side midfield is one of the 4 key areas that I thought most of us had identified as being necessary to improve. Dumble Delia was one of the first to recognise this in a previous post a week or so ago but know appears to have down a U turn and says ''what a good right winger he could be''!!

If I were Worthy I would want a lot of proof that he could cut it in The Championship before I kept him on. I would sell him back to a Swedish club who would no doubt be falling over themselves to buy him.

My message is - GET RID - NOW!      

I don''t think he''s been that bad at all this (last?) season, and agree that he''ll probably find it a lot easier in div 1...

I know he didn''t find the net, and often lacked confidence to really run with the ball, but what he lacked in that department, he made up for with effort and heart.  How many times did Matt find himself with a changed shirt and a bandage on his head, simply for putting it where it hurts where others would not dare?

He''s a battler and with a good run in the team could prove himself more popular this season.

oh come on, most people thought Holt was quality in the 1st Div and was a major part of our promotion, but he was utter rubbish in the prem.   Jonson was a step above Holt in my opinion, so applying the same logic should be great in the champ next seaosn.   However, people change, teams change etc, so nobody will know till we see him play.   I say give the guy a chance, he has done enough this season to convince me he has the right attitude, commitment and skills to do very well next season.

i reckon he will be world class in the champ, he will do his stuff with ease infront of the likes of stoke........

Jonson could well be a regular in the starting 11 if he plays his best

To be Honest I think he will started slow but then turn into some good and hopefully get the goals he so needs, but hey why not get Jan Kristiansen

#13. Jason Voorhees, A Great Alternative To Robert Green

Jonson is a striker. Hey, I have a crazy idea, why not play him up front? you never know, he might not be as crap as he is on the wing.

Worthy''s worst buy of last season.

I think that the pedigree he has will shine through. He''s in the Swedish National team for a reason...There''s some underlying quality and ability there for him to be a regular at that level. I think he needs pre-season to be a confidence building exercise. He''s obviously annoyed at his performances last season, and I believe that he will make up for it over the next year.Kev

Could be the player to watch next season. Also great that he''s committed to the club, unlike certain others who have their minds elsewhere.

[quote]Jonson is a striker. Hey, I have a crazy idea, why not play him up front? you never know, he might not be as crap as he is on the wing. Worthy''s worst buy of last season.[/quote]

Playing a striker up front?  That''s a bit of a radical idea Mook, strikers are supposed to play in midfield!!!

[quote]Jonson is a striker. Hey, I have a crazy idea, why not play him up front? you never know, he might not be as crap as he is on the wing. Worthy''s worst buy of last season.[/quote]

Worthy''s worst buy of the season? - Surely Graham Stuart or Paul Gallagher or Gary Doherty.

[quote]Worthy''s worst buy of the season? - Surely Graham Stuart or Paul Gallagher or Gary Doherty.[/quote]

i would say the worst signing was darren huckerby, hes been so poor. Also the supporters have been totally crap, dont sing all game. Gary holt, why can you not see he should be upfront and in the starting line-up everyweek, flemming should wear a wig, and doherty should join the race-horses

what games have you been watching mate?

Atleast jonson puts in 100% effort and is totally commited, i know everyone is enititled to an opinion, but what have you got against jonson, he is being played out of position!