Sign in to follow this  
FramCanary

PSV: 'Toinoven must decide by Wednesday'

Ola Toivonen can continue his career in the Premier League. The attacking midfielder is set to sign a contract with Norwich City. PSV has already reached an agreement with the English club. "It is now up to Ola," says technical manager Marcel Brands.

In Sweden, the story goes that PSV gets nearly six million Toivonen. "We never go in the amounts mentioned, but we have an agreement with Norwich City on Ola. Now it''s entirely up to him to decide whether he wants to make the move," said Brands in talks with Sport Bladet.

Toivonen gets a little more time to think about his future.  "We begin Monday with training. Ola has to Wednesday. If there is still no clarity around Norwich, I just expect him here."

I wonder what this ''reset to the second team'' bit is at the end of the article?

Come on Ola... do the right thing and sign the deal.

Having read all the different "translations" my take on it is this;

All the paperwork is ready to go between the Clubs.

Toivonen has been given a couple of extra days off (mon and tues next week) presumably to fly over here and have a look around Colney.

If he turns up for training wed at PSV then he will train with the first team but if he does not extend his contract by Sept 1st then he will get no First Team games next season. Basically they will take him out of the shop window until his contract expires.

Yep, does look like as it stands we''re the only club with a firm deal on the table. If Toi Boy turns it down, he''ll find his backside sitting in the PSV ressies.

Surely if all this is correct then it should be a no-brainer for the guy???Clearly other clubs HAVEN''T come in for him and matched PSV''s valuation, he seemingly doesn''t want to stay there and isn''t going to play for them again unless he signs a new deal, so is there really that much left to think about?Come on Ola, do the right thing and sign on the dotted line for us and welcome to the PREMIER league (Not the Eredivisie)...

In the real world this PSV deadline threat, if that is what it is, has to be taken with a pinch of salt. They won''t want Toivonen to go for nothing next summer, and the player must know that. We are not going to withdraw our offer just because he is training with the reserves, and it won''t stop other clubs bidding either.

But he''s not likely to be willing to start the season stuck in their youth team either is he PC?Surely if clubs genuinely wanted to bid for him, then they''d have done so by now, especially as it was common knowledge that we HAVE bid and had our offer accepted - what on earth would they be waiting for? PSV to cave (despite accepting our offer) and accept a lower fee for no good reason???Seems unlikely IMHO, I think it''s simply been that the player has been on holiday, wanted to wait as long as possible to allow any other potential suitors to show their hand, and then decide based on what is on offer. Nothing wrong with wanting to make a considered choice and waiting to make sure you don''t miss out on a GREAT option instead of one which is simply very good...

I hope this is true. I''ve been looking forward to Ola since we were linked with him. I genuinely think he can do a brilliant job here, but then again im ever the optimist!

Come on Ola!

True enough Purple.

The only thing I would say to that though is that the other clubs clearly don''t think he is worth the money. If they were they would have met our bid and got the chance to speak to him too.

So with any luck he will take that onboard.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]But he''s not likely to be willing to start the season stuck in their youth team either is he PC?

Surely if clubs genuinely wanted to bid for him, then they''d have done so by now, especially as it was common knowledge that we HAVE bid and had our offer accepted - what on earth would they be waiting for? PSV to cave (despite accepting our offer) and accept a lower fee for no good reason???

Seems unlikely IMHO, I think it''s simply been that the player has been on holiday, wanted to wait as long as possible to allow any other potential suitors to show their hand, and then decide based on what is on offer. Nothing wrong with wanting to make a considered choice and waiting to make sure you don''t miss out on a GREAT option instead of one which is simply very good...
[/quote]

Other clubs may have made bids for him, which are lower than Norwich''s - if Toivonen rejects Norwich then PSV will be forced to accept potentially lower bids from other teams (Fulham, WBA). PSV obviously want the guy out and are pushing as hard as they can, but as PC said the ''threat'' is fairly toothless.

I have a feeling he will end up here, but wouldn''t be surprised if this runs on for a little while yet.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]But he''s not likely to be willing to start the season stuck in their youth team either is he PC?Surely if clubs genuinely wanted to bid for him, then they''d have done so by now, especially as it was common knowledge that we HAVE bid and had our offer accepted - what on earth would they be waiting for? PSV to cave (despite accepting our offer) and accept a lower fee for no good reason???Seems unlikely IMHO, I think it''s simply been that the player has been on holiday, wanted to wait as long as possible to allow any other potential suitors to show their hand, and then decide based on what is on offer. Nothing wrong with wanting to make a considered choice and waiting to make sure you don''t miss out on a GREAT option instead of one which is simply very good...[/quote]

Other clubs may have made bids for him, which are lower than Norwich''s - if Toivonen rejects Norwich then PSV will be forced to accept potentially lower bids from other teams (Fulham, WBA). PSV obviously want the guy out and are pushing as hard as they can, but as PC said the ''threat'' is fairly toothless.

I have a feeling he will end up here, but wouldn''t be surprised if this runs on for a little while yet.

[/quote]

Indy, I agree Toivonen would not want it to drag on that long. It was the pre-season deadline "threat" I was questioning. Like Bethnal I suspect we will get him, and hope we do. If - pure speculation - Hughton sees him more as a striker than a midfielder that might appeal to Toivonen, given the likelihood of a place up front opening up in the Sweden team. Elmander and Ibrahimovic must be close to retiring from international football.Certainly what Toivonen isn''t is a replacement for Hoolahan. He doesn''t have those quicksilver link-up skills. He is more of a straight-line attacker from midfield.

Doesnt it ring Alarm Bell''s that PSV Will stick him in the reserves (Reading between the lines he seems to have peed them off) and no one else has made a bid for him?

Perhaps we should look elsewhere?

I know it''s only YouTube, but this guy looks real good.

Not afraid to shoot outside the box, something we have been crying out for...

http://youtu.be/J6l5E9PuAps

PurpleCanary wrote - "Certainly what Toivonen isn''t is a replacement for Hoolahan. He doesn''t have those quicksilver link-up skills. He is more of a straight-line attacker from midfield."

According to what we see on youtube ;-) . They are different types of player and will be used according to Hughton''s tactics on the day.

He turned round and said he wanted to go to a bigger club than Norwich a few weeks ago.

If that''s true then f**k him, we only want players hungry to wear the shirt and are 100% committed to the club

Where did he say he wanted to go to a bigger club? I read his quotes and couldn''t piece that one together, so either I''ve missed a quote or some people on here should get a job at the Daily Mail.

[quote user="Paul"]He turned round and said he wanted to go to a bigger club than Norwich a few weeks ago.

If that''s true then f**k him, we only want players hungry to wear the shirt and are 100% committed to the club[/quote]

All he said was, basically he wanted to think about it during his hollies. It''s fair enough imo, when the move involves going abroad.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Having read all the different "translations" my take on it is this; All the paperwork is ready to go between the Clubs. Toivonen has been given a couple of extra days off (mon and tues next week) presumably to fly over here and have a look around Colney. If he turns up for training wed at PSV then he will train with the first team but if he does not extend his contract by Sept 1st then he will get no First Team games next season. Basically they will take him out of the shop window until his contract expires.[/quote]

That''s looking at it from PSV''s perspective. Wonder if DM / CH have given him until the 1st to sign on the dotted line? If we have, then he will be a very silly boy if he thinks he can bluff it out with DM. However, I suspect his agent knows all about DM and wouldn''t let it get to that stage - our CEO''s hard-nosed reputation is going down quite nicely in rural Hampshire!

[quote user="ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)"]

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Having read all the different "translations" my take on it is this; All the paperwork is ready to go between the Clubs. Toivonen has been given a couple of extra days off (mon and tues next week) presumably to fly over here and have a look around Colney. If he turns up for training wed at PSV then he will train with the first team but if he does not extend his contract by Sept 1st then he will get no First Team games next season. Basically they will take him out of the shop window until his contract expires.

That''s looking at it from PSV''s perspective. Wonder if DM / CH have given him until the 1st to sign on the dotted line? If we have, then he will be a very silly boy if he thinks he can bluff it out with DM. However, I suspect his agent knows all about DM and wouldn''t let it get to that stage - our CEO''s hard-nosed reputation is going down quite nicely in rural Hampshire!

[/quote]

Again with the ridiculous DM love train - he isn''t the infallible business man you''re making out and he won''t cut his nose off to spite his face when it comes to transfers. I have my concerns about why PSV want him out so vehemently but I also believe Toivonen would be a signing to rival RVW in the quality factor - DM would be stupid to bluff Ola out of signing.

Sorry to rain on most people''s parade but I''m a little uneasy about all this. True, he might be a good footballer but as someone else said PSV seem very keen to get shot of him. I seem to remember people pointing out disciplinary problems when his name was first doing the rounds so that may be the reason perhaps ? To be fair foreign players generally know very little about the smaller teams in the Premier League but he seems less than keen to commit himself to City.If he does sign and do well without causing any unrest, fair enough, but I hope we''re not looking at another Joey Barton type player here. After all, he too is a very good footballer but he can''t seem to separate that from all the other nonsense going round in his head. 

[quote user="Stig"]Again with the ridiculous DM love train - he isn''t the infallible business man you''re making out and he won''t cut his nose off to spite his face when it comes to transfers. I have my concerns about why PSV want him out so vehemently but I also believe Toivonen would be a signing to rival RVW in the quality factor - DM would be stupid to bluff Ola out of signing.[/quote]

What side of the bed did you get out of today???

There is no DM "love train"?? (unless you mean "love in"). However, what is refreshing is the hard-nosed management approach that the club is taking. AND, as a result of this approach, we didn''t push the boat out for Hooper nor for RVW in January - in fact, as a result of DM approach we saved a fortune and got RVW at a really bargain price.

So, looking at the RVW signing, could you see his predecessor even getting to the starting blocks on this one? We have one helluva astute footballing business man at the helm and I for one am enjoying his tenure to the maximum. As for his infallibility - well he hasn''t done much wrong to date and observing his general approach, doesn''t seem the type of guy to do so! My biggest worry with him is that he will be snaffled up elsewhere and then what options will we be left with?

Finally, where did you dig up that PSV "want him out so vehemently"? From my understanding of what I have read, I think you will find that PSV want him to stay and sign a contract extension but that he wants to move.

I know its only Twitter and it cant be trusted...

but people are saying Toivonen has agreed to come.

Stop this worrying! PSV simply want rid because he''s not willing to sign a contract extension and therefore they want to sell before the start of next season so they can get some money, otherwise he will leave on a free.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Where did he say he wanted to go to a bigger club? I read his quotes and couldn''t piece that one together, so either I''ve missed a quote or some people on here should get a job at the Daily Mail.[/quote]

He said he wanted to think about it, make sure the club he moves to is right for him and not just take the first offer.

If people are offended by that, well, what can you say ?

Alot of talk on twitter

"Ola Toivonen has finally agreed to join Norwich City, he is expected to have a medical in the next few days #NCFC"

I get the impression that he is (or soon will be) checking out FCR and Colney, as well as the staff, set-up and area. He''s not familiar with Norwich and has to live here, after all.

Takes time.