Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

It was very clear

It was very clear that as soon as he moved his family back up north Holt would not be seeing out the last two years of his contract. Who on earth would want to live 200 hundred miles away from their family if they did not have to.

I find it hard to understand why so many people have been surprised at him leaving.

From the time he asked to leave during the close season his relationship with the majority of the fans was never the same. Not once last season did I hear the Barclay sing we love Grant Holt we fXXXinh love grant Holt.

As a result his performance never reached the hight standard he has given since he joined us.

I think as much as we all loved the man for what he had done for us in the past, he has done the right thing for him and his family.

I wish him well

Had he stayed, many of us would be hoping Holt would reproduce his very best form - as opposed to expecting him to. He''d lost his sparkle. A self-confessed family man with such strong personal values needs to meet them, so his move was hardly a surprise was it?

For me, the clearest indication was when RVW signed; pictured holding up a blank-numbered shirt with only his name on it. #10 was/still is available yet the club didn''t allocate that number to the new player. That signalled uncertainty re: who would get #9 next season - and it all hinged on Holt.

Good move all round I think though?

I don''t think it was a surprise, but at the same time I don''t think it was as clear cut as many seem to think.  I think Holt would have been equally happy to stay if the right move didn''t materialise.    He wouldn''t have gone for the sake of it.   Right up to Saturday he was talking about going back to work and being away from the family for a while.     People like to think things are black and white, but often the truth is somewhere in between.  Holt had a good contract here but he also knew that things were changing and if the right move came along he would go for it.    Wigan at first didn''t sound like a dream move, but actually it looks like the ideal move for him.   Europa league, strong team to challenge for promotion - and nearer home.  

Norwich have done right by him and he has done the right thing for Norwich - ie he would have stayed and seen out his contract or he would move if the right opportunity came along.   He was a winner either way.   The club would see it the same way.  Keep him as a still a key member of the squad, even if playing less, or selling him on at the right price.

As many have said, not a surprise and win win all round.   A fitting solution for the club and a new challenge for Holty.   Something done right - doesn''t often happen in football.  It brings a tear to your eye!!

I don''t think people were surprised. Doesn''t stop them from feeling upset about it though. Two different things.

Agreed.

He must have taken a drop in money as well which is testiment to him.

He could have just sat on the bench and seen his contract out here, but hes bigger and better than that.

Good luck holty, wishing you well in the future, except if you play city of course!!

How refreshing to get up this morning to find yet another thread about the living legend that is Grant Holt and one about his family moving up north as well.

Agreed Tilly, at the very least the OP could have mentioned GH in the Subject to save me the hassle. You would think that a Moderator could spend at least 5 minutes a day tidying this place up.

I think most people are just busking until we hear some official news regarding new recruits. Hopefully there''ll be something more interesting to talk about shortly!...

[quote user="Ken"]. Not once last season did I hear the Barclay sing we love Grant Holt we fXXXinh love grant Holt. As a result his performance never reached the hight standard he has given since he joined us. [/quote]

Two points.

1) REALLY?

2) If the Barclay had sung his name more (or at all, apparently) he''d have played better?