Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

How much will we see of Saf next season?

I''m a bit worried as to how much we will see Saf next season.  The guy has come on leaps and bounds in the second half of last season.  When Damo seemed to give up, Saf took up the helm and did very well.  Considering our current midfield state it is vital that he does this next season.

However, how much will we actually see him?  Ramadan comes round on 16th of October (for one month obviously).  Now I know Saf claims he can play through this but he wasn''t picked last season during that period.  I would have thought that anybody who isn''t eating between sun rise and sunset will struggle on the training pitch and on match days.  (NOTE:  I''m not saying he shouldn''t honour Ramadan.  That''s his religion and fair play to him. We shouldn''t discriminate against him IF he''s fit.  Personally though, I''m not sure whether he will be)

Coupled with this is the African Cup of Nations which takes place in January and February.  There is a very good chance that Saf will go with Morocco and so we''ll lose him for another couple of months.  This isn''t good news (NOTE again:  I would never begrudge a player to represent his Country.  If Saf wants to go, we can''t/shouldn''t stop him.)

This makes this summer bloody important.  If/when Damo goes and with Saf away for some of next year, we are left with Holt as our ONLY natural centre midfielder.  As WLY will probably leave we are left with Jonson and Brennan as our only other midfielders!  Hmmm!  Anyone else worried?  We must strengthen and strengthen good if we are going to seriously challenge for the top 2 next year.

Come on Nige and Doomcaster, get off your hol''s!

The ANC is a big hit - but we bought him being aware of that.  Morocco are likely to make the latter stages too so he will be out for most of that time.  Ramadan is another issues but both Chippo and Hadji played well during that period so why shouldnt safri?

I am also worried about his injury rate and the speed he collects yellow cards.  Perhaps things will fall kindly for us and his suspension injury and international call up will happen at the same time.

OTBC