Sign in to follow this  
Robert Barnes

Loic remy

Much like Townsend, a few moments of brilliance paper over the cracks of a very inconsistent player, who is not exactly a great egg in the batch

Steer clear

We have a terrible record with French players, for that reason I''m out. 

What has happened regarding his police investigation for rape/sexual assault. Not heard anything of late but no club will want to touch him until this is resolved

No to any QPR players.  No. No. No.

Players that went to QPR went because they got inflated pay packets, not because they wanted to play for QPR - a bad buying policy, buying the wrong sort of players,hence their problems.   We don''t need those sort of players. We want good players, but ones that are at least as interested in football and the ethos of a club, than the money.  

No.

A cut above anything we have at the club, couldn''t afford his wages though.
Just because QPR offered silly wages to players should not make them all off limit for being greedy money-grabbers. I am sure the majority of players would have done the same and chosen QPR over Newcastle if you were offered 100K rather than 50K per week.
Surprised Spurs haven''t moved for him

Ha ha, good one Bor, but we''ve still got one Martin left. Maybe we could get a sponsorship deal?

[quote user="lake district canary"]No to any QPR players.  No. No. No...Players that went to QPR went because they got inflated pay packets, not because they wanted to play for QPR[/quote]And realistically how many of us wouldn''t do the same given the opportunity???If someone offered to double my wages to do the same job elsewhere, then 99 times out of a 100 I''d bite their hand off and take the money.Generally speaking the people who say they don''t move for money either have plenty of it to begin with, or have fairly complex personal circumstances that make a move a bad idea, and again - this doesn''t apply to the vast majority of people.This "holier than thou" attitude when it comes to moving to clubs for money is a total joke IMHO...

I think Remy showed signs last season of what a top class player he could be if he got given a good run in the EPL. Therefore I''d love to see him in a Norwich shirt, but saying that, his court cases haven''t closed and his wages are too much.

Still looking forward to see which other forward we bring!

The sort of  player we want is one who can balance the financial aspects of a move and the football aspects.   It strikes me that  quite a lot of the QPR buying spree and high wages of recent times has caught some of those players short.    Why did they choose to QPR?  Because they would earn much more money.  Why do footballers play football?   The ones I want at Norwich are ones who want to earn good money and appreciate the club for what it is. Leave the ones looking for the ultra high wages fawning at the coat tails of the clubs that have the silly money.     

We do not have silly money to spend and should only buy players who will fit into a team ethic.    There are plenty of good players out there who will recognise that and who will happily accept the kind of club we are as it helps their career progress.     Remy chose QPR.  That says a lot.

Sorry LDC, but that''s just pie in the sky thinking in the modern game.We so easily forget that football is a JOB, and therefore it makes total sense to take the best offer available to you unless there are very strong mitigating circumstances.None of the players like Remy will particularly suffer from having moved there as they WILL get moves to other clubs and in the process they''ll have made an awful lot of money.It''s beyond naive to think that the game doesn''t revolve around this for a large majority of players, and it strikes me as being far more sensible to take twice the wages to play for QPR, than may be on offer at say Southampton or Fulham (assuming you have the choice).Maybe this is because I''ve never been well off and therefore am always looking to make that little bit extra for the sake of my family etc...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Sorry LDC, but that''s just pie in the sky thinking in the modern game. We so easily forget that football is a JOB, and therefore it makes total sense to take the best offer available to you unless there are very strong mitigating circumstances.  None of the players like Remy will particularly suffer from having moved there as they WILL get moves to other clubs and in the process they''ll have made an awful lot of money.  It''s beyond naive to think that the game doesn''t revolve around this for a large majority of players, and it strikes me as being far more sensible to take twice the wages to play for QPR, than may be on offer at say Southampton or Fulham (assuming you have the choice).Maybe this is because I''ve never been well off and therefore am always looking to make that little bit extra for the sake of my family etc...[/quote]

Everybody is different and I''ve had to travel round the country over my career to find the right jobs at the right money.   One move I made was for less money, but was a good career move.   Not everything revolves around money.  Footballers are well paid.  They can make more choices than the rest of us if they have the mind to - I would favour signing a footballer who has shown good judgement in which clubs he chooses to play for and for what reasons.   

[quote user="lake district canary"]I would favour signing a footballer who has shown good judgement in which clubs he chooses to play for and for what reasons.[/quote]This is the crux of it for me LDC.Take Remy for example, there''s no indication that he had any alternative offers (despite rumours of a deal for Spurs that never appeared) other than to stay where he was or sign for QPR, and given the deal he was being offered then I''d argue that under those circumstances he did show good judgment with the reasons of playing in the Premiership and getting paid very well to do so.So in essence - what do you actually take exception to this is particular case LDC?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]I would favour signing a footballer who has shown good judgement in which clubs he chooses to play for and for what reasons.[/quote]This is the crux of it for me LDC.Take Remy for example, there''s no indication that he had any alternative offers (despite rumours of a deal for Spurs that never appeared) other than to stay where he was or sign for QPR, and given the deal he was being offered then I''d argue that under those circumstances he did show good judgment with the reasons of playing in the Premiership and getting paid very well to do so.So in essence - what do you actually take exception to this is particular case LDC?[/quote]
Not sure that''s factually correct Indy. From what i can remember he was set to sign for the Toon until a last minute bid from QPR. In fact i think he was on the way there when the call came in that he was to go to QPR instead - not his decision, more the agents i imagine.

And come on down Mr Remy, tonight it''s your turn to be linked with a move to City on Twitter. Your alleged fee is £8m. Fear not though, it will all be forgotten for the nonsense it is by tomorrow.

I would be estatic if he signed. A real gem of a striker who would play alongside RvW very well with his pace and direct play. However wages could/would be a problem.

Would top off our summer nicely if we got him! N''Doye was rumoured to be between £6m-£10m so the fee is not unrealistic. I guess the wages may be the problem.

Joe Kinnear has a FIFA 13 career save in which he has total control over everythingHe will slowly turn it into reality now he''s "Lord of Football" or whatever it is at Newcastle

I may be wrong but Remy is yet to be cleared of rape allegations? What happens if we sign him and he ends up inside like Ched Evans?
QPR would be able to terminate his contract if he gets convicted, but we wouldn''t surely as it is an allegation which is already in the public domain and we''d already know about the allegations? 
As for the £100k per week, QPR wages are always exaggerated, pretty sure Fernandes has come out and said that their highest earners are on £60k per week - and that was after they signed Samba and Remy.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I would favour signing a footballer who has shown good judgement in which clubs he chooses to play for and for what reasons.[/quote]

For me, signing for Norwich City demonstrates good judgement on this part.